how much better does a $100,000 system get from the best tubed klipsch system there is .....

quadklipsh

I recently heard a system costing about $60,000. Magnaplanars, Audio Research pre and power (300WPC, tubed), Audio Research DAC, Esoteric transport. Clean and clear, up to a point. This system was out of gas about where a set of Khorns with 1 watt per channel would be. At that point the system was totally out of headroom.

$60,000? For that price one could get four (4) Jubilee pairs, along with DX-38s, amps and sources. I do not doubt that the Jubilees would sound more realistic than what I just heard.

High end audio is not doing particularly well in this economy. There will be quite a few manufacturers and high end dealers biting the dust soon. As a result the high end audio press will not be getting enough subscription and advertising money to stay afloat. People aren't spending much on megabuck audio anymore. If you want to hear one of these expensive systems get on down to the high end audio salon soon, time is running out.

WE ALL OWN KLIPSCH SPEAKERS YYAAYYYYY!!!, except that one dude who is always holding a cup of coffee has those electrostatic monstrosities, what a lamo!

I have 2 pairs of Klipsch actually...............oh, and I like coffee......

Well said all. YAYYYYY!!!!! WE ALL OWN KLIPSCH SPEAKERS YYAAYYYYY!!!, except that one dude who is always holding a cup of coffee has those electrostatic monstrosities, what a lamo! YEAH WE WIN!!! Lets pat each other on the back, notice to Coytee, I said back, not backside. Now lets Boogie!

By all means, yes, let's boogie.

Well said all. YAYYYYY!!!!! WE ALL OWN KLIPSCH SPEAKERS YYAAYYYYY!!!, except that one dude who is always holding a cup of coffee has those electrostatic monstrosities, what a lamo! YEAH WE WIN!!! Lets pat each other on the back, notice to Coytee, I said back, not backside. Now lets Boogie!

Duely noted

If you are good at building stuff and are willing to pay good prices for parts, you can have your $100,000 system for 1/10 of the price (speakers at least).

The only two problems:

Unless you are really good at woodworking, you will not come up with something as beautiful as a pair of P-39F's

You don't get bragging rights for having super expensive speakers though you do get bragging rights (and if they look real good) that you made them from scratch.

This is my current trio in the corners of my familyroom / disaster.

post-2137-13819639861252_thumb.jpg

If you are good at building stuff and are willing to pay good prices for parts, you can have your $100,000 system for 1/10 of the price (speakers at least).

The only two problems:

Unless you are really good at woodworking, you will not come up with something as beautiful as a pair of P-39F's

You don't get bragging rights for having super expensive speakers though you do get bragging rights (and if they look real good) that you made them from scratch.

This is my current trio in the corners of my familyroom / disaster.

You may call it a disaster, however you have what looks like, excellent corners for your KHorns...

I was at the Scalford Hi-Fi Show in England last month where enthusiasts were displaying systems with a very wide range of prices.

There was a £100,000 Wilson Watt 7, Rowland amp, Oracle turntable, Nagra digital source system. For sure it sounded very good.

But for my tastes there were a number of other much cheaper systems that were equally good. Different but equally good.

I think that there's a lot to be said for horns with SET amplification, for the dynamics, naturalness and purity of this combination.Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more money buys you different but not necessarily better.

Who said they would sound better?

I think I've relayed this story here a couple of times now. A few years ago I was demoing my system to a potential purchaser of an extra set of Khorns I had for sale. The potential buyer described himself as someone who's only hobby was audio, and while he had enough money to spend just about anything he wanted if he felt it was worth it, he said he preferred to buy used as it allowed him to buy/sell, try different things without losing too much money. He said his other friends were also audiophiles and for some, cost was no object. He mentioned his current preamp was the Audio Research Reference (around $10k) and his speakers were Avant Garde Solos. He had never listend to Khorns and wanted to see what they were all about.

I demoed my system to him -- Khorns, Wright Sound SET mono amps, original Peach preamp, and an older Theta CD transport/DAC. At the end, he told me my system sounded better than his friend's $100,000 Wilson Audio system. He also looked at my speaker wire, which was basic 12 guage wire from Parts Express. He was amazed that I was able to get that kind of sound for about $5k on the used market. Yes, he bought the Khorns. In fact, he also offered to buy the Peach and the Wright amps. A few weeks later, he called back and also bought my rosewood Belles. A couple months after that, he bought a Fi 2A3 amp I had.

While I'm sure my system can be improved upon, I am at the point where I am simply thrilled with the sound quality. Every time I listen to it, I thoroughly enjoy the sound and more imortantly, enjoy the music. I really have no burning desire to upgrade anything -- not that I won't, but this is the first time that has ever been the case. I too have heard several impressive megabuck systems, but I am more than content with the sound I am getting.

More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, and that is especially true in audio.