9/10 pair of RF 83's price question

JasonJCarney

Is $1400 a good price for these? I have been debating between the RF 7ii's at $2200 (brand new) and these at $1400. I have not heard either par and I listen to 99% home theatre. I would be coming from F-3's. Anybody have an opinion on what may be a better speaker for my purposes or a btter deal price wise.

I emailed Klipsch maybe they can help me out. I will have the chance to try out the rf 7ii with my rc 64ii next week. The shop I am buying the 64 from is getting a set of 7's in at the same time and they are gonna set them up for me. Any thoughts on what would be a good movie to try them with?

I myself would go with the RF -83's ,, At $1,400. they are a steal... I got my 83's last summer, they were my dream & last & final thin g to get, They just discontinued them, I was scared I was'nt going to find a set, because the two sets I had my eye on sold within days of the news.. I found a pair on craigslist for $1,800 for a pair of cherry one's , I did prefer black,, But hey , So I drove 2 hours to to get them,, I ended up getting them for $1,600, mint condition,, This was the best thing I ever did,,, They are awesome... I run the RC-64, RS-62 & two RW-12D subs,, it's a jaw droping system,, I have tought about going to the Klipsch,, THX-Ultra setup.,, But I really just can't let this set up go.. It amaze's everyone.... SO hey go get the 83's you wont be unhappy , & you can spend the extra cash on other things of need,,,, good luck,,

• Moderators

I think it is short sighted of them to tell you that they are Timbre matched because they are not.

Be careful there...unless you are the engineer that designed the new RC-64ii. We do not know who he talked to at Klipsch. If he was speaking to the lead engineer and he said they were voice matched, then they are. Not trying to start a debate here...just saying.

Also, "Working Fine" for your RF-82 and RC-64ii and "Timbre Matched" for RC-64ii and RF-83 are two totally different things. [:D]

I have to agree. I don't think it'll be 100% timbre matched but it'll be close enough. I use a RC-35 matched with RF-82s and the sound is actually pretty seamless and the system sounds amazing. So I think the generations are pretty close in sound. Now I do agree that in order to get the sound as perfect as possible you will probably want to stay in the same family but I think you'll be fine. Don't think the 64 II will detract from your soundstage

Now as far as which speakers to get. Both speakers are available to you at pretty good prices. I've never heard the 83s before but I do have the 7s and let me tell you they are amazing! You will not be disappointed with them! I don't know if they are worth the extra $1000. Only your ears can decide but I know they blow away everything else I've heard. Can't wait to hear your opinion on them!

Worst case scenario if you decide to go with the 83s and if for some reason you don't like the way they sound with the 64 II then you can sell the 64 II and buy the original 64. Unfortunately you will probably only be able to find it used but you will probably end up coming out ahead. Ebay does have authorized sellers that say they can get you any Klipsch speaker so they may still have some original 64s new in the box.

I think it is short sighted of them to tell you that they are Timbre matched because they are not.

Be careful there...unless you are the engineer that designed the new RC-64ii. We do not know who he talked to at Klipsch. If he was speaking to the lead engineer and he said they were voice matched, then they are. Not trying to start a debate here...just saying.

Also, "Working Fine" for your RF-82 and RC-64ii and "Timbre Matched" for RC-64ii and RF-83 are two totally different things. Big Smile

It looks like someone is looking for a reason to upgrade to the rf-7iis[:P]. I am just talking from experience, when i called and talked to some about the matching question i did not talk to the head engineer or an engineer and all for that matter. Also if the original rc-64 is an exact match for the rf-83s it should be noted how different the new rc-64ii is from the last model. Bigger tweeter, whole different crossover and different dimensions (i doubt that would matter). They did use different magnets though and that is why the newer rc-64ii is like 10 lbs lighter.

• Moderators

It looks like someone is looking for a reason to upgrade to the rf-7iisStick out tongue.

Not me. I'm perfectly content with my setup. [;)]

I too would think that the RC-64ii would not be voice matched with the RF-83 but that is my thinking. I am merely suggesting that if they spoke to an engineer that suggested that it was voice matched, then I would trust that advice.

The person that emailed me from Klipsch is Robert Land. He told me the 64ii and the rf 83's are timbre matched. Personally I don't care about timbre matching. All I care about is how it sounds to me. Unfortunately the 83's are discontinued so I can't just go down to my local klipsch dealer and listen to them.

I called klipsch before and they said that my rc-64ii was going to work fine with my rf-82 that i had at the time. I think it is short sighted of them to tell you that they are Timbre matched because they are not.

My ears agree I bought the rc-64ii before the 7s and had the rf-82 set up. It almost sounded like dare I say it a different brand speaker. Don’t get me wrong it sounded good still but the center sound didn’t match the mains sound (rf-82). I’m sure I would have gotten used to it and been very happy. Was just a great excuse to upgrade [:D]