RF 7ii vs RF 83 for HT

JasonJCarney

I think that it is important to consider that Klipsch brought back the RF-7s for a reason, instead of making an RF-83ii.

Devil's advocate.....Klipsch probably made that decision because it was more cost effective to make the 7's vs the 83's. Stick out tongue

Amy made it sound like they brought them back because they were so popular.

There is no doubt that there is a huge fan base of the RF-7's. They were Klipsch's flagship speaker for 5 years. Truly a great speaker.

This is part of what makes klipsch so great so many great speakers hard to choose. As a kid I always wanted the khorns (still do but would be sleeping on the couch) no matter what way he goes he’s going to be happy I’m sure. [:)]

• Moderators

Just curious...If 3 ways are the way to go, why did Klipsch go away from it when they came out with the Reference Series and haven't gone back that direction with any of the Reference Speakers? Is that because Reference are maybe geared more for HT where Heritage is designed more for a 2ch system? I do realize you can make a HT with Heritage and 2ch with Reference.

Could cost play a role? Less stocking of drivers, easier assembly, simpler crossover?

I think that is the reason. In order to hit a certain price point with the competitors, a two-way system is more desirable for market share. The RF-3 was the best selling floor standing speaker of all time, and may still be. The Reference series, IMO, is geared toward a great HT experience and an acceptable 2-channel system for the cost. When you add a center, you have far less need for a three-way system as the center channel handles the majority of the mid-frequencies. I think that if Klipsch were to go to a three-way in the reference series that it would price it out of what Home Theater Review terms as an "entry level" system. Also, with the Palladium series (a 3.5-way speaker), Klipsch would start to eat into it's own market share at a price point of maybe $5000.00 vs the P-37F at $8000.00.

An RF-103/RF-73 (tripple 10s), 2-way or 3-way, would be a bad-*** speaker! I'd also like to see an RC-54 (quad 5.25" woofers with a 1" tweeter) with vinyl finish to pair up with the larger vinyl finish Reference series (RF-82, RF-62). It would be a GREAT compromise between the RC-62 and the RC-64.

I was joking about the rf-73 but yeah a quad 5.25'' seem more feesable. If klipsch did it right they could come back with a 3 way reference speaker that would not eat into their palladium sales. Heck maybe they could make one that totally blows aways anything in the same price category (like they dont already) where they were selling so many that they would not mind it eating into palladium sales.

according to the dealer i went to to get my rs62s he was saying the rf83s were one of the worst selling series that klipsch had, our guess was the downturn crushed alot of buyers out of the audio market at the time, he only had the thx ultra setup available and only had one set of 62s left from the 83 system, i did ask what he thought about the rf7ii's if he listened to them and the dealer was pretty impressed wtih them

its a tough call not being able to listen to them side by side, but i can assure you the rf83s didnt sell bad because they suck ;) if it was my money id sell the rc64ii and swap to rc64 to match, buy the 83 system, and have a good 1k to get some amps or other needed equipment to further the system

the rc64 is mated to the rf83

the rc64ii is mated to the rf7ii

unless they no longer recommend a rc64 for 83s im not sure what they would recommend the 64 for then, would almost have to do a a/b and see what you like then, im sure they would be more than close enough anyway

RC-64 Center Speaker

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1150Hz, 1800Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.25" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn

RC-64 II Center Speaker

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1400Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.75" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn

the rc64 is mated to the rf83

the rc64ii is mated to the rf7ii

unless they no longer recommend a rc64 for 83s im not sure what they would recommend the 64 for then, would almost have to do a a/b and see what you like then, im sure they would be more than close enough anyway

RC-64 Center Speaker

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1150Hz, 1800Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.25" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90x60 square Tractrix® Horn

RC-64 II Center Speaker

HIGH FREQ CROSSOVER 1400Hz
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1.75" (3.2cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 60° square Tractrix® Horn
The new rc-64ii is a two way crossover design different than the old rc-64 but klipsch said that the specs online and manual were messed up was an oversight he said.

So much misinformation on this forum! Klipsch said the 64ii is timbre matched to the 83.

Imo if you asked them if any klipsch speaker would work with another they would probably say yes. I just don’t see them saying no. if I had khorns and called and said I was thinking about buying an rc-62 would it match I’m betting they would say yup.

Now if I asked if there was a better center I could use for the khorns then I would probably get a different answer.

And who is answering have they put the 83s in a set up with the 64ii and said yea I guess that works or is it a guess or the normal answer to questions they get I’m sure like crazy. I bet they get that type a call all the time (will this work with that)

Again I’m not saying klipsch would give you bad advice cause

I’m sure it will sound good.