Beef Teriyaki question

greg928gts

Well, the shindig is about over, and most are gone, only the drunks are left.

The Fajita teriyaki went fast, real fast, but the chicken didn't go as well. I used chicken tenders, and dried them out by cooking them just a little too long.

Jerol, you were absolutely correct. The flank steak type cut was the perfect choice.

across the grain definitely the way to go for tenderness, sometimes I cut into 1x1 strips, then rotate 90 degrees and slice totally cross grain. The marinade Mark mentioned is also a good idea, breaks down the meat fibres.

I use sirloin but some of the less expensive cuts might yield good results. High heat (at first) sears the meat keeps in the juices, just like using a wok

Picky will probably know more than all of us combined.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

A better way to make them is not to grill them, but put them in a smoker and cook slow and low. I use the Maui Harbor Teriyaki or Cheriyaki marinade. I typically use sirloin strips pre-cut at the butcher. I put a batch of each marinade in ziploc bags to sit refridgerated for at least a day. I make a blend of Maple and Apple chips and soak for 24 hrs as well. Hickory or Mesquite are a little too strong unless mixed down with other chips.

I pack the chip box right to top with chips and move the grates to the higher tiers and place the strips on the middle and top tier. Smoke them for about 3hrs between 180-200 degrees. They will be tender, juicy and melt in your mouth. I will also do some thick lamb chops rubbed with extra virgin olive oil, cracked sea salt & pepper, sprinkling of rosemary then topped with homemade jalepeno jelly. They come out incredible.

I use a propane smoker and it is so well seasoned it smells like something's cooking when it is sitting idle.

A better way to make them is not to grill them, but put them in a smoker and cook slow and low. I use the Maui Harbor Teriyaki or Cheriyaki marinade. I typically use sirloin strips pre-cut at the butcher. I put a batch of each marinade in ziploc bags to sit refridgerated for at least a day. I make a blend of Maple and Apple chips and soak for 24 hrs as well. Hickory or Mesquite are a little too strong unless mixed down with other chips.

I pack the chip box right to top with chips and move the grates to the higher tiers and place the strips on the middle and top tier. Smoke them for about 3hrs between 180-200 degrees. They will be tender, juicy and melt in your mouth. I will also do some thick lamb chops rubbed with extra virgin olive oil, cracked sea salt & pepper, sprinkling of rosemary then topped with homemade jalepeno jelly. They come out incredible.

I use a propane smoker and it is so well seasoned it smells like something's cooking when it is sitting idle.

Droooooool.

Greg