Introduction and a long story

Hi -

On a quest for Klipschorns, I think.

Like many of you I suppose, it began when I could afford my first "serious" gear sometime in the late 70's - was an Onkyo receiver I think, and a pair of Radio Shack 3 way towers, that for the time were pretty decent.

My taste in gear hasn't changed much - though I briefly flirted with Planars several years ago (Maggies - 1.2 then 1.6) and let them both go because although the image and soundstage were, to me, unrivaled at their price points, they were missing something - probably had more to do with what I could afford to drive them with than with the quality of the pieces.

So I had a descision to make - either go with a sub (nope) or some higher powered gear - or look for something else, which I did. Forgot to mention that at about this same time I discovered tubes for home audio. As a longtime guitarist and user of vintage/modern tube amps, I'm surprised it took me so long to figure this out.

Are you with me still? So out with the Rotel 1080, and in with a Cary integrated that made the Maggies sounds very sweet, but naturally wouldn't push them where I wanted them to go - I grew up in the 60's & 70's after all, attended concerts in the 70's - that's the sound I wanted.

So I wave goodbye to the Maggies, somewhat reluctantly. What to replace them with, that my Cary will like....

high efficiency speakers, of course - but what kind? Klipsch? Well, they've been making them for a long time, and by all descriptions sound like what I'm after: volume, dynamics, realism, volume...so I plunk down the bones or clams or whatever you call them, for Cornwalls (I'd been doing a lot of reading here by that time, and felt reasonably safe in doing so.)

So it's three years later. I still love the Corny's - but if they sound this good, what must Klipschorns sound like? Did I mention my room is pretty small - 12x20x8 - and has lousy corners? But the Klipschorns would fit, barely - and the 1.6's were probably considered to be too much for my room, too - and they sounded pretty sweet. The Cornwalls sound awesome in this room, and in the bedroom, and the den, and outside...

I'm a fairly skilled woodworker, so false corners or backs don't present a problem, but I don't think I want to part with the Corny's, and would consider the 'schorn's a "project."

I'm looking for some validation here...and some help with inserting line breaks...

thanks,

Chip

That would work... I have LaScalas in a room about the same size, and the Khorns would actaully take up less room, as they would fit snug in the corners.

If you are using a Mac, you either must put in paragraph html for the line breaks (if using Safari) or use FIrefox. The code would be a less than character, the letter 'p', and a greater than character.

Bruce

If you are a handy wood worker you could also consider building a set of cabinet to house two of Bob Crites's 12 inch woofers per cabinet and use your Cornwall horns with them as that will move a lot of air and they will go low. Kind of like a KLF 30 or a CF-4. If you ask you might find someone in your area who has those (KLF 30 and CF-4) and you could go for a listen to see what you think of that approach. You could also consider going with the LaScalla but you will need a sub if you want deep bass. One or more of the members here has built dual fifteen inch cabinets which look like Khorns in the corners and they move lots of air. If you want the open airie quality of the Maggies switch to the Titanium diaphragms for your horns as they are an excellent upgrade for a reasonable cost and they are easy to install. Good luck and keep us posted as to what direction you decide to go. Best regards Moray James.

Wow. Okay that's interesting. I'm off to see what a KLF 30 and a CF-4 are - I like the idea of building something, too. I thought about the La Scala's and should make an effort to hear a pair, but honestly, the majority of opinions seem to indicate the bass will be different than I'm used to having - I'm reluctant to do a sub, and I do love the Cornwall bass.

thanks very much for the suggestions,

Chip

- I'm reluctant to do a sub, and I do love the Cornwall bass.

There are a number of current and past threads on subs for Heritage. I am going to add one for my K'horns because I am a lover of the pipe organ and even the mighty K'horn cannot deliver the sustained fundamentals of the largest pipes. There are several designs that are favored to match with Heritage speakers, including but not limited to the Danley's, the Tubas, and a number of related DIY horns/tapped horns. Several of these are said to be completely transparent when properly couple to the Heritage they are supplementing. Makes sense that horns and horns would get along...

You might want to study some of those threads before making a final move. A nice sub can work with whatever, so it's a good investment regardless of the mains involved (at least for Heritage, anyway) and can always be sold.

Just something to think on...

Dave

Please do a search on the Klipsch 2-Channel, Home Theater, and Upgrades and Mods forums on my love- and not-so-love-saga with my 2003 Klipschorns. In still-absolutely mint condition and with ALK-top of the line crossover upgrades, they are perhaps the best such pair of speakers in the world today. Without going into detail here on those numerous past postings, you will find in them as objective an account as exists anywhere on Klipshcorn pros and cons. When everything clicks including amplification, migawd they are awesome. Anything less and they collapse in the bass. The solution (for me): Klipschorns together with high-quality powered subwoofers. The best of both worlds though there's no way that you can get around the fact that the big Khorns still need their good corners. At lower volumes they never disappoint. But the rubber really hits the road when you occasionally want to crank them LOUD and they come through still with absolutely clear, unstrained fidelity. They're the nearest thing to full-bore live symphonic performance I've EVER heard after 55+ years of playing with this hobby starting around age 13 (I'm turning 69 y.o.).

Lots of great suggestions and more info - dang. I've considered that the Cornwalls just may be the best fit, in consideration of what I listen to at the moment. The KLF's and CF's look intriguing too - as does the Cornscala, with the added perk that I could assemble and finish those - maybe I just want a project?

I have a a Cary SLI 80 F1 Sig driving the Corns right now, and in the triode setting they're much better than anything I've ever heard.

I'l read over your saga - and thanks again everyone for the wealth of information,

Chip

I think the Cornscala sounds like a great project for you. The Cornwalls are great for bass, and the La Scalas have those great horns. Combining them gets you a great speaker for 60s and 70s music. The pair I have, I just got them. I did not build them, but would probably be much more fulfilled if I did.