So many issues. Should I just get new speakers?

LastShadow

The room: 9' 5" W 18' 3" L 7'9" H. Fronts and rears situated along the width of opposing walls.Open wall on right side about halfway down the length. The right front is next to the opening. The right rear is in closed section. Carpeted flooring. Mounted rears about 3 feet from the ceiling. The receiver is in an adjoining room and the max cable distance is about 48".

The setup: Klipsch Reference Set: LR RF-52 C RC-52 RBLB RB-61 Sub RW-12d Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX82-TSX.

My main issue is that I have powerful lows and highs and relatively no mids... the anti-Bose if you will. I noticed a friend with an inferior Yamaha (albeit a good brand) receiver with an F-3 Synergy front set produced a much better range, although mine sounds better at the ranges it produces. I would attribute his advantage to the larger woofers. He also has two mid arrays for his rears from Athena(did they get bought by Klipsch?) but they did not factor into the test. His room is relatively similar in size and layout. Are the 5.25" woofers in my fronts/center powerful enough for this room? Are the two woofers in the fronts handled differently by the crossover or are they getting the same input? If they are the same, WHY? I don't see how it would affect dispersion. I listen to music mostly but noticed the mids were missing in dialogues during movies. If the sub is in use, my crossover is set to 80Hz. If it is not in use I turn it all the way down to 50Hz. I am worried my cables aren't sufficient since they aren't twisted pair, simply linear 16 gauge. How Monster Cable could sell it like that is beyond me. In addition, I am using the speaker wire hookup on the sub, not coax. Also, the settings for ALL speakers is set to large. I am not using the Bi-Amp configuration (Yes, the bridges for the posts are in place).

Ok, the other issue. This is the part where I lose my credibility. Keep in mind for the main issue I used all sorts of test equipment with hookups like spdif coax, hdmi, and analogue. I am getting alot of noise from a computer hookup. I am using an Asus Xonar D2X @ 96 KHz through spdif coax. I enabled the Hi-bit sampling and Digital Noise Filter features on my receiver. The cable is 50ft long and heavy gauge copper. I am getting a noticeable amount of noise. Should I: A. get a new sound card B. replace the cable with a silver one from Audioquest ($$$) C. Try an alternative (try not to laugh) such as wireless for spdif or analogue stereo transmission?

Side note: Besides cabinet design, what makes Klipsch superior to other brands? Such as a Klipsch tractrix horn driver vs. something like this one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-274

Level with me. Do I need different speakers for stereo listening?

Sorry for the gigantic post.

Also, will sell the entire set for half of retail if I can't get this figured out.

Regards,
Phil

Welcome,

If I read your post correctly you are having mid freq. loss and you are using a computer sound card as your ONLY source. If true, I would find me another source (CD player, etc) and check again using analog and digital inputs before I spent money on anything.

Good luck.

"I listen to music mostly but noticed the mids were missing in dialogues during movies"

Most nearly all dialog will be from your center channel

" I am worried my cables aren't sufficient since they aren't twisted pair, simply linear 16 gauge"

Are you talking about speaker cables? Not the problem; use cheap lamp cord, works fine.

"How Monster Cable could sell it like that is beyond me"

Why anyone buys Monster is beyond me.

"In addition, I am using the speaker wire hookup on the sub, not coax"

This one could be an issue. If you are using your left and right speaker output to the sub and then to the speakers your sub is using a LOT of the available power from the receiver AND is using the sub's crossover to determine what freqs get to the mains. Also the LFE channel for movies are in the sub out channel. Why are you doing this?

The cable is 50ft long and heavy gauge copper. I am getting a noticeable amount of noise. Should I: A. get a new sound card B. replace the cable with a silver one from Audioquest ($$$) C. Try an alternative (try not to laugh) such as wireless for spdif or analogue stereo transmission?

Length MAY be an issue here, Move the PC closer and use a shorter SPIDF to test. If you want to isolate some noise use quad shielded RG-6 cable instead of $$$$ from anybody.

I would triple check all setup on the receiver, check out the above and then ask my buddy to bring his receiver over for a listen in your setup.

'luck

All assumes that the mid range is WORKING on your speakers!

Yea, about the center channel you hit it 100% on the head, I had forgot that was the way they built surround tracks. I did turn the center up but then it drowned out the others (can't win here). Also, low mids occur in stereo music. For stereo listening I alternate between the all-channel stereo option and 2-channel. I don't know how my receiver is setup but I get the impression that the sound is cleaner with 2 channel. It could just be the imaging in the room but then again it could also be power handling on receiver.

I hear you on the lamp cable, I've done quite a bit of reading on electrical propagation and all signs point towards you being right.

@MonsterCable HaHa, I was younger and too impressionable/naive?

I thought even when you used the speaker inputs on the sub it simply acted as a low-pass passive crossover and used the onboard amplification. I don't see a noticeable difference between using a speaker cable vs the RCA input other than the fact that when the receiver is off the sub produces some very low level noise. No change in speaker sound. OK I see what you are saying... no I don't split off the posts.

I think you are right about the cable/length/quality, in addition, I just checked the line and noticed it was slightly compromised. I ran it under a door threshold and it seems it has a small puncture.

WIll give my friend a call. Do you have any recommendations for dB meters? I am also considering buying an active standalone crossover.

-Phil

The statistics on Klipsch about the RF-52 and the F-3 put them as close in frequency response and efficiency. The thing I can't get past is the fact that his speakers weigh twice yours. His also has a front port, and much more woofer area which you'd think would sound different. I'm not an acoustical engineer, but I would ask him if you could borrow his speakers and see what they sound like in your room. His weight 60 lbs each, so dont hurt your back!

One other thing. I have an Integra receiver much like what you have in your pioneer. I set my LFE at 110 in the receiver. I set the LPF on the sub itself at around 85. Are you using 50 on the receiver? Did I understand you wrong? It should be higher than that unless your fronts are Cornwalls or something insane...

What sets Klipsch apart is engineering. Its made in Germany, and you know the Germans make good stuff!

Lastly, did you use the MCACC microphone when you set up the receiver? Look on page 7 of your manual. It will set levels and automatically do your EQ based on the room and speakers you have.

• Moderators

So it was made by a German in Arkansas? Tell me it aint so!!! I always just assumed it was German. What a blow!!!

Go here and you will see why your better off in Hope AR, don't assume it would be better if built in Germany, somethings maby, but not Klipsch !

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/147059.aspx

Sorry I haven't followed up.... visiting a sick grandmother in NC. Laughing @ Klipsch being made in Germany when most of the best speakers are made in AMERICA. Another amazing favorite of mine being Martin Logan. Will follow up in the next 3 days after I try your ideas.

-Phil

P.S. @mustang guy Yes, I set the crossover to 50hz on the receiver when sub is not in use. Unless I am mistaken the crossover level indicates the level and below that will be dedicated to the subwoofer. I set them as low as possible to let the system handle the lowest range up. I am not sure if this will lead to distortion or not though now that you mention it. From what I have read the speakers are 34Hz-23kHz +/-3dB which is funny since 20khz is the max range most people can perceive.

Ok, the other issue. This is the part where I lose my credibility. Keep in mind for the main issue I used all sorts of test equipment with hookups like spdif coax, hdmi, and analogue. I am getting alot of noise from a computer hookup. I am using an Asus Xonar D2X @ 96 KHz through spdif coax. I enabled the Hi-bit sampling and Digital Noise Filter features on my receiver. The cable is 50ft long and heavy gauge copper. I am getting a noticeable amount of noise. Should I: A. get a new sound card B. replace the cable with a silver one from Audioquest ($$$) C. Try an alternative (try not to laugh) such as wireless for spdif or analogue stereo transmission?

Side note: Besides cabinet design, what makes Klipsch superior to other brands? Such as a Klipsch tractrix horn driver vs. something like this one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-274

Level with me. Do I need different speakers for stereo listening?

I also use an Asus Xonar card; pass thru. I use a toslink (digital infrared) cable. It is about 4 feet long.

Did you post correct when you said 50ft long digital coax? 50 ft.????? That might be your backround noise problem right there.

No you do not need different speakers for stereo; you need to get it set up properly.

Call Klipsch Tech as posted; they are very helpful. I suggest changing that 50 ft. long cable to maybe 5-6 ft. before you do. (Use toslink if you can; less chance for interference).

Good Luck.