Finally, an RF-7 Owner!

SuBXeRo

thanks for the great comparisons guys! I still have them, they havent sold and i went through the same thing when i upgraded from the 3's to the 5's and the upgradesonly showed long after i switched. Room definitly has alot to do with the sound and what i have is certainly not ideal for things. It sucks, what a terrible decisiont o have to make! I do think for music, the rf-5's are so much better at all volumes. The rf-7's pick up and sound better at higher volumes with music and are great for movies, they do have a lot of impact.

god now i am back tot hinking i should keep the 7's!!!!! RARBLE!!!!!!!

edit:
Girlfriend says to keep the 7's if its beneficial later when our listening space is larger....go figure that one!!!

Best part is you don’t have to choose right away. You can run the rf-7s for the next month and get use to them. By then you should know what you like better because first impressions can sometimes go both ways but after a good month you should know. [:D]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have 1 rf-5 and 1 rf-7 hooked up right now haha, getting best of both worlds. i listed both the rf-5's and the rf-7's on craigslist, i figure i will late fate decide which stays and which goes. I guess each way i will be happy. i just also want to see what bids i get on everything. Having speakers side by side is a great way to see ones flaws or ones perks. Most people dont get that option and are happy with what they get. But, then again, most people dont know what they are missing and are blissfully ignorant.

i have 1 rf-5 and 1 rf-7 hooked up right now haha, getting best of both worlds. i listed both the rf-5's and the rf-7's on craigslist, i figure i will late fate decide which stays and which goes. I guess each way i will be happy. i just also want to see what bids i get on everything. Having speakers side by side is a great way to see ones flaws or ones perks. Most people dont get that option and are happy with what they get. But, then again, most people dont know what they are missing and are blissfully ignorant.

Buying speakers is the hardest part for so many reasons. Even if we like what we hear in the store it can change so much in a different room with different gear. And reviews are someone else’s ears in a different room with different gear. Your problem is a good problem to have and I still think that unless you need the money right away I would live with the 7s for a month then put both on craigs list if you can’t decide.

It's too bad you sold the sub so fast, you should have took the time to see how they sounded with a nice sub, with the sub you will really know HT impact. Both the RF-5 & RF-7 do pretty well without a sub with music (definitely better with a sub though), but for HT a good sub really is needed to bring things to life.

Both are excellent speakers, I really don't think you will be disappointed in either one.

It's too bad you sold the sub so fast, you should have took the time to see how they sounded with a nice sub, with the sub you will really know HT impact. Both the RF-5 & RF-7 do pretty well without a sub with music (definitely better with a sub though), but for HT a good sub really is needed to bring things to life.

Both are excellent speakers, I really don't think you will be disappointed in either one.

+1

i replaced the 5's witht he 7's again and it really brings to life movies. I think that i should just build a glorious 2 channel for the future and really have this for my theater pleasures. It will work both ways but i think itll be more for the surround experience.

The sub was way too large for my listening space anyways. i mean, it just shakes my walls, the rsw-12 i had in the past did the same thing. The bass hits from the sub just shook the wall and made the SQ terrible since all i heard was wall shakes and paintings rattling. In my case, if i had to have a sub, the best option would definitly be a forward firing sub seals or with front ports. But, t that, my space is still to narrow to have the bass dispersion be good enough. It was sad to see it go but it was a necessary sale. I did test it out and the thing really pounded, i mean, shit, its a well tuned 15.

I will have to look into the dean g mod, i have heard about that vaguely in the past

i thought about buttshakers, the only issue is that i would have to put rubber of some sort to dampen the shakes. Althought the shaker is conected to the couch, the couch is connected to the frame which is connected to the feet which sits on the floor. The vibrations would go straight through the frame and down into my floor and the guys ceiling below me.

• Moderators

i thought about buttshakers, the only issue is that i would have to put rubber of some sort to dampen the shakes. Althought the shaker is conected to the couch, the couch is connected to the frame which is connected to the feet which sits on the floor. The vibrations would go straight through the frame and down into my floor and the guys ceiling below me.

What about is you connect the shakers and just set them on your lap when watching a movie so no vibrations go into the structure of the building. Also as a benefit you two may really really really like watching movies together. [:P]

i just leave my cellphone inmy croch......just kidding! well, not when im driving, i need to know if i am getting a call and i wouldnt hear it ring or vibrate next to me.

But, then again, most people dont know what they are missing and are blissfully ignorant.

Sounds like me lol

nothing wrong with it until u learn what you have been missing.

I tuned the low frequency range and raised the gain a bit, this is helping pick some bass up at the lower freqs. i am keeping them pulled back from the wall, they were really just a few inches and they are toed in a lot more. They are sounding better. I did the same thing with the 5's when i first got em, just a matter of tuning it to my listening space.

I have fully decided to keep them. I want this to be for my HT purposes mainly. If i want something a bit more dynamic maybe for music, i can always find some rf-5's in the future or try some other brands. For now it works great for all my purposes, gets the job done and will take some getting use to. This is my final decision haha. I will assume in a larger space they will breathe and they will truely come to life.

i just leave my cellphone inmy croch......just kidding! well, not when im driving, i need to know if i am getting a call and i wouldnt hear it ring or vibrate next to me.

But, then again, most people dont know what they are missing and are blissfully ignorant.

Sounds like me lol

nothing wrong with it until u learn what you have been missing.

I tuned the low frequency range and raised the gain a bit, this is helping pick some bass up at the lower freqs. i am keeping them pulled back from the wall, they were really just a few inches and they are toed in a lot more. They are sounding better. I did the same thing with the 5's when i first got em, just a matter of tuning it to my listening space.

I have fully decided to keep them. I want this to be for my HT purposes mainly. If i want something a bit more dynamic maybe for music, i can always find some rf-5's in the future or try some other brands. For now it works great for all my purposes, gets the job done and will take some getting use to. This is my final decision haha. I will assume in a larger space they will breathe and they will truely come to life.

Congrats on your choice[:D] I’m guessing you will love them more and more and i would toe them in but not too much. If your 10’ or closer to the 7s I would have them just slightly toed so the horns aren’t facing right on you. But I’m sure you will work it out.

I have both speakers and have done the same thing in the past. I did find that I really liked the RF-7s much better over all.

Anyway, I see that you've decided to keep the RF-7s. I honostly don't think you will regret it. Would be sweet if you could use the RF-5s as surrounds (which is what I am currently doing), but sounds like you are pretty tight on space.

Anyway, for those that are curious, the RF-7s really are much larger than the RF-5s (boy, that is an old picture! That TV has long been upgraded to a 55-inch high-def set):

rf5-rf7.jpg

• Moderators

Wow! Those 7s are huge!!!

Yes they are. I just picked up a pair of RF-7's in black finish earlier this week and carried them into the HT by myself (not advisable). It was late and my son had already gone to bed so I didn't have a choice. At least I was able to carry them by myself. I don't think I could have done that with my 83's since they are sooo deep. Below are some size comparisons I took when I had a Maple pair of RF-7's.

I think you will be pleased with the 7's performance. They truly are great speakers.

5353816810_f06f2ab76e_z.jpg

5353208719_20f2a06171_z.jpg

I didn't realize you'd picked up another set of 7s Youthman. Congrats! What are you going to do with them?

I remember the pics of the Maples and the 83s, but with the 83s being so deep and tall, the 7s just didn't look as big. It must be because I can better relate to the size of an RF-5 that the size of the RF-7 shocked me! I know that whenever anyone sees my 82s, they kinda chuckle at the absurdity of the size, but I guess for you 7/83 owners, they probably just gasp a little!!

By the way Youthman, with your being a youth minister, do you have the group over for movies, and can you write it off?

• Moderators

Congrats! What are you going to do with them?

Looking to put them in my son's room and upgrade his CF-2's. He's pretty excited about it....the challenge is get the wife excited about it too. [:D]

do you have the group over for movies

Yes, we have occassional movie night, mostly with small groups (like a sunday school class) at a time.

can you write it off?

I wish. [:P]