I just bought the Klipsch thx 7.2 system

jayohio19

I just got the speakers, and opened them up they look nifty but why are the cones not copper colored????

Also no stands, I should have figured.

Anybody have suggestions on stands for the fronts and rears? They say they can be mounted on the wall but those suckers are so heavy I just cant see it

• Moderators

but why are the cones not copper colored????

Probably because the cerametalic cones are signature of the Reference Series. The THX Ultra2's are not part of that series of speakers so they have their own signature look.

Some photos online make them look somewhat similar to the cerametalic cones.

klipsch-thx-ultra-2-system.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

• Moderators

I just got the speakers, and opened them up they look nifty but why are the cones not copper colored????

Any stand would work they don't need anything special.

Wait until they are working and balanced, you are going to be shocked.

I just built stands for mine when I had them. $30 of materials and exactly to my specs. :)

I've been the route of receiver with those....it ended by blowing a tweeter and then getting an Emotiva XPA5. Skip the heartache part and go straight for the amp. There are some receivers that will do them justice, but it doesn't make sense when they're priced equal or higher than separates.

Looking forward to hearing the progress with your new system! :)

a good number of mid to higher level receivers carry preouts for you to hook up a power amp to the back of it, or you can buy a seperate processing unit and seperate power amps, i would agree that those speakers deserve some quality power and before you look at a 1500-2000 receiver definitly consider emotiva, rotel, b&k or any other solid hitters, emotiva will give you the best bang and a umc plus upa7 if you can find one used as theyve been discontinued or xpa2+5 would be a excellent replacment to any receiver

I used to power mine with a Pioneer Elite receiver and then now have the UMC / UPA7 setup. I highly recommend getting an amp as you will notice a difference in detail. The UPA7 is fine (and I like it), however a little more power wouldn't hurt. I pulled the trigger on the UPA7 with the recent close out price, and the fact that I didn't want to have two amp taking up space in my rack. The UPA7 paired with the Marantz AV7005 would also be a nice combination. Note that I would not get the UMC1 unless you can dedicate time messing with the settings.

For what it's worth I have mine mounted on the wall using omnimount mounts -- they work fine and have never slipped. I did ensure that I bolted into a stud though with some heavy duty bolts (not screws).

Any stand would work they don't need anything special.

Wait until they are working and balanced, you are going to be shocked.

What do you mean by "working and balanced". I get the working part, but what about the balanced part? Are you just talking about the calibration and settings?

• Moderators

Are you just talking about the calibration and settings?

Yes that's all, just all set at the same level at the listening position.

You would be surprised at how many people don't do this or think they can do it by ear.