Pushed in Dust Caps

Xki

I have an SC-3 center that is currently out of service. The kids found the speaker in the closet and pushed in the dust caps.

I've tried the vacuum trick and could not budge them. There is no sound degredation that I can detect but I would sure like to get the caps back out!

Any help would really be appreciated....

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have read people have used a vacuum and sucked it out ?

The real answer would be to hit the speaker on the kids head in reverse, just kidding, but I would have felt like it.

One suggestion... try the vacuum procedure again, but this time try and get a good seal around the caps by using some "duct" tape, cut to small strips. This helps to form a seal and the caps should come out, if you have a good vacuum cleaner... good luck...

One suggestion... try the vacuum procedure again, but this time try and get a good seal around the caps by using some "duct" tape, cut to small strips. This helps to form a seal and the caps should come out, if you have a good vacuum cleaner... good luck...

I'll give that a shot. I really don't want to poke holes in them! Thanks.

• Like 1

vacuum trick for the win, its just getting that seal, keep trying. The pin trick sucks, if the cap doesnt budge you can easily ruin them

Okee Dokee! These caps aren't very large so the wand on the vacuum is just about the same size as the caps. A reducer of some sort might be in order.

The pin trick is the last resort.

• Like 1

I tried the vac trick on one of my RF7's and it did not work. I have a very big shop vac with about a 3" Diameter hose and that thing is so strong it could pull out the dust cap, so i am scared to try the big vac.

Take some fine screen and put over the end of the tube. You can stretch it in a convex shape (same as the dust caps). This will keep you from sucking them into the vac, ripping them off of the speakers.

Bruce

Klipsch wanted $161 for a new driver. I would need two for one of my RF7's. I would just sell my RF7's and find another set in better shape. There is a set in Tampa local to me i would like to get.

I meant for the sc-3 but I would probably get new drivers for the rf-7s also 161 isn’t to bad for a rf-7 10

I agree with the previous comment your looking for those 3M removable adhesive strips called 'contact' I think look in the hardware section where wall hooks are found. Also depending on dust cap construction a little hair dryer heat might be helpful be very careful to not get them to hot in case they react by shrinking think 100 or deg or not too hot to touch. Alternatively buy new caps from and glue em on.

Google "speaker dust caps" lots of sources cheap 2-3 dollars ea, easy to replace 10min each, done a few myself with foam surround repairs.

Well that depends, I have used Sobo glue on most fabric/felt domes to paper, epoxy and thick CA on Poly/Metal domes to if you use CA use in moderation and visit a hobby shop for thick variants if you use a kicker you may get clouding from vapors. In most cases use epoxy. The trick is not getting ooze in your voice coil. I typically use liquid steel 2 part, it's thick and works on any surface. Always glue in moderation use just enough for the job in case you need to do it again. Blow or vacuum any debris that might fall into coil former prior to gluing dome on.

That kind of glue that never dries and stays tacky would work best. If you were careful, you could use the sticky part of a small pc of some duct tape. The only fear would be that the tape might not let go even with a hair dryer. It would seem to me something between duct tape and post-it would do the trick.

• Moderators

If it really bothers you and nothing works don't buy a new driver. Look up one of the companies that sell re foaming kits, there cheap. I did this for a pair of Advent speakers and it's really easy.

In the refoam kit you get new dustcovers, you just cut out the old dust cover with a razor and install a new one, they also come with the glue for less than $20.

It sounds terrible but is very simple, It's just a dust cover so dust and dirt does not get in to the space in the magnet where the voice coil goes and causes friction.