Onkyo nr808 vs UMC-1

The onkyo is $50 more than the UMC. Don't care about streaming music. Is the onkyo worth the extra money? I am going to buy an external amp. The onkyo allows me to buy a 3 channel where the UMC makes me go 5 channel. The amp price difference is $200. Should I buy one of these or Should I go higher end with onkyo?

I bought the Onkyo 808 after having the UMC-1 for a month and then returning it.

Some love their UMC-1, but for me it was just too eratic with dropouts, long audio sync times and difficult firmware updates etc.

I had already purchased a UPA-5 for a power amp and am using the 808 as a pre/pro. Later I purchased a UPA-2 to expand to 7.1.

From day one, the 808 has performed flawlessly.

With the 809 now anounced you should be able to get one at a good price.

Buy this Pre/pro http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea71ch&1308517151&&&/Onkyo-Professional-PRSC5507P

and this amp to be done http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1309908968&/Emotiva-XPA-5-5-channel-amp---

A bit higher than stated, perhaps some minor negotiations and you'll have more power than you need but will not be wantting to upgrade electronics very soon. I REALLY like this combo on my RF-83 and I paid substainially more for the two.

Majority of quirks of UMC-1 have been fixed via firmware updates. To me, UMC-1 sounds better as preamp and is more versatile as processor compared to older Onkyo i had. Had to tape up the massive blue lighton the power button though...

To me, UMC-1 sounds better as preamp and is more versatile as processor compared to older Onkyo i had....

Do you feel this way for movies and music? What if the OP is more for movies than music or the other way around. I wouldn't mind trying it out, but my major concern is the UMC vs Audyssey xt32

Yeah I'm 100% home theatre. I called onkyo this morning. They said the lowest priced unit they have with preouts is the 5.1 nr509.. The nr609 is the 7 channel option. Both pretty cheap. I'm wondering if I would be better off going with a 2 year old version like the 707?

I can confirm Emotiva's room correction is inferior to Audissey, but i
like or use neither, never happy with results. Manual setup for me.

If 100% movies, You could go with best Onkyo or similar pre/pro You can afford for relatively trouble free playback. I am sure that UMC-1 features i like

(like any channel trim on the fly, cute OSD etc) can be found elsewhere too.

Just a thought on the amps as I went back and forth between the XPA-3 and 5. $200 dollars for 400 extra watts. Even if you don't have a use for 5 channels now, systems grow!

I thought Emotiva did not recommend using a partial of the channels on their amps. I could be wrong.

There is no problem using fewer channels on an Emotiva amp as long as you are not pressing to get the extra output out of the remaining channels. The power supplies will give it's full power to as many channels as you use, but the individual channels are not designed for more than their share. I have been running an LPA-7 with mostly 3 channels being used for several years...but I don't turn the volume up to anywhere near max either.

As for the UMC-1..I love mine, but I have not had the problems most have had. My only issue has been dropouts when using zone 2 with a different input from zone 1. On the other hand, I can't say I would recommend it due to all the issues. I may upgrade if they ever come out with the XMC (because of the built in discount) but I'm not sure if I would buy the UMC again. The sound is great, the price is great, the customization is great...but the bugs...tough call...depends on how tight the cash is I guess.

When I asked an Emotiva rep the question about the XPA-5 power ratings in two channel I was told that it was certainly capable of more but they did not want to advertise the spec because they did not want people to purchase it with 2 channel in mind and deal with might come of it. If you go to the Emotiva site, forums, amps,"Meet the XPA-3", The rep I talked to(Lonnie), states 2 channel specs for it. They read a lot closer to the XPA-2 than you would expect, but still a different animal. I do listen to mine in 2 channel frequently with no issues.