Something to be aware of ...

CaptnBob

I was prepping a Crown CX-844 and a Marantz timer for sale on the 'bay, when I noticed something which could cause a lot of trouble.

Back in the old days, when dinosaurs and electric pencils were new, people were advised by law enforcement types to engrave their names on their electronic equipment to facilitate its return should it be stolen. So far, so good. But they also advocated putting a number with the name to minimze confusion - like a social security number! Both the Crown and Marantz have a name and a XXX-XX-XXXX number on them. This could lead to a lot of strange charges showing up on someone's Visa statement.

Now I have to figure out how to take off the numbers without making it look like I boosted the tape deck...

Bob A.

Good catch Bob! I would just try and change a couple of numbers.

Easy to turn a 5 into an 8 or a 6 to an 8 and so on.

If you don't have an engraver, if you have a "Harbor Freight" tool store near you, they have number stamps and engravers cheap!

Good Luck,

Dennie

Back in the "day", in the military, it was required, and if you did not do it, and lived in the barracks, usually it was confiscated until you provided a receipt and applied the ssan on the spot. For the "off-post" folks, when the time came to rotate back to CONUS, the MP's (who inspect all household goods...) would try to seize the equipment unless you had the receipt from the PX or AP Club. There was big problems with mil folks buying stereo stuff for their local "friends" so the "friends could avoid paying import duty tax (very, very high...). Number of folks went to jail for that stuff.

You can also use a "dremel" tool with a small grinder tip and do it very nicely.

Perhaps take a digital photo of the plate before grinding the numbers off, then carefully obfuscate the numbers to demonstrate that there was a SSN there that you removed? Include the carefully redacted photo with the sale?

• 3 weeks later...

If I may paraphrase the "Great Major Breakthrough" flyer from long ago, "Yup, I did it too."

I was getting ready to repaint my 74 Cornwalls, when I saw them, right there on both squawker horns - my Social Security number and Missouri drivers' license number as well. As I think about it, I'm pretty sure I did the woofers inside too. Shows what kind of trouble you can get into when you put too much stock in contemporary wisdom.

Bob A.