Klipsch 15" Subwoofer?

Rippyman

Would anyone else like to see Klipsch produce a 15" sealed and ported option sub? I absolutley love their line-up of freestanding and surround speakers, but I really wish they had more to offer in their subwoofer category.

Welcome to the forum. Many agree with you as far as selection goes, and purchase subs elsewhere. I too love their freestanding and surround speakers.

It is not clear what your expectations are in terms of low frequency extension.

There may already be 15 inch subs in their cinema products. Realistically, how low does it need to go?

I'm looking for a more deep rich sound that a 12" sub simply cannot produce like a 15 can.

Their cinema products are for industrial applications, I'm wanting something for my home.

It is not clear what your expectations are in terms of low frequency extension.

There may already be 15 inch subs in their cinema products. Realistically, how low does it need to go?

I'm looking for a more deep rich sound that a 12" sub simply cannot produce like a 15 can.

Their cinema products are for industrial applications, I'm wanting something for my home.

You raise a number of issues.

1. You might be surprised what a well-designed cabinet with a 12 in driver(s) can do. I am not sure there is anything magical about a 15 in woofer.

2. It is probably best to think in terms of freq response rather than "deep rich sound". That way you can communicate more clearly and find what you are looking for. Personally, at very low frequencies the experience has less to do with audio and more to do with distortion and whole-body vibration.

3. Some of the best stuff Klipsch produces was actually designed and used in "industrial applications".

1. You might be surprised what a well-designed cabinet with a 12 in driver(s) can do. I am not sure there is anything magical about a 15 in woofer.

2. It is probably best to think in terms of freq response rather than "deep rich sound". That way you can communicate more clearly and find what you are looking for. Personally, at very low frequencies the experience has less to do with audio and more to do with distortion and whole-body vibration.

3. Some of the best stuff Klipsch produces was actually designed and used in "industrial applications".

Explain to me then why every sub I have demoed in both the 12" and 15" version, the 15 always sounds more powerful/deeper?

Explain to me then why every sub I have demoed in both the 12" and 15" version, the 15 always sounds more powerful/deeper?

If you compare 2 subs by the same manufacturer typically the 15 will be a larger, more powerful, more expensive version of the 12. It will have a larger amp and more cone area and will be "more powerful and deeper" than it's lesser counterpart. You need to compare specs of different brands. Some manufacturers 12's will handily outperform other manufacturers 15's. You can't just look at the size of the driver to determine if one sub is better than another. There's a lot more that goes into the equation.

If you compare 2 subs by the same manufacturer typically the 15 will be a larger, more powerful, more expensive version of the 12. It will have a larger amp and more cone area and will be "more powerful and deeper" than it's lesser counterpart. You need to compare specs of different brands. Some manufacturers 12's will handily outperform other manufacturers 15's. You can't just look at the size of the driver to determine if one sub is better than another. There's a lot more that goes into the equation.

Exactly!

So I've demoed some very high end brands, Paradigm, Velodyne, B&W, Sunfire, etc. None of the 12's have impressed me. My HT system is all Klipsch, it would be great to timber match with a Klipsch sub, but unfortunately at 15" sub is not available.

My HT system is all Klipsch, it would be great to timber match with a Klipsch sub, but unfortunately at 15" sub is not available.

Timbre matching is not necessary or possible with subs. If you're absolutely dead set on a Klipsch 15" sub, be on the look out for a used RSW-15. It's one of Klipsch's better attempts (IMHO) at a sub.

Hi Rippyman,

Why stop at 15". If you want the deepest, bestest sub, take a look at the KPT-884. A specially designed 18" woofer that goes effortlessly down to 18Hz without the distortion one finds in small, piston-powered boxes.

WAF may be low, but I use it quite happily in my home. It's the best sub I've heard . . . .

I would love to see a horn loaded sub like the folded horn's of Bill Fitzmaurice or the tapped horns of Tom Danley's.

I'm quite surprised that they haven't done this yet. They already have the Klipsch name to put on them and could bring these subs to the masses like no other company.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhhh you know.... I hadn't been saving it really... Somtimes inspiration strikes.. The planets align just so.. I get a tap on the shoulder from the thing, and a particularly glorious result happens to pop up on the first google image search I do... The rest is klipsch forum history, as it were....

• 1 month later...

Would anyone else like to see Klipsch produce a 15" sealed and ported option sub? I absolutley love their line-up of freestanding and surround speakers, but I really wish they had more to offer in their subwoofer category.

Yeah, 15" subwoofers! Love them, so folks at Klipsch, please... But if Klipsch doesn't want to produce them anymore, that's OK with me, maybe 18" then.... :-)