My jubilee setup

bracurrie

I just wish:that factory jubs were available in something other than black then that would be an option.

hmmm.... see attached.... made by Klipsch in Hope as pictured.

Why does the factory spec a three way jubilee?

To be able to play in an auditorium without blowing a driver. For HOME use, a 2-way is still way more than over-kill

What are the recommended crossover specs?

For the 3 way or 2 way? I would speculate for the 2-way they would be different depending on what HF horn/driver you are using?

With the K402/K69, we're crossing at 450 to the bass bin and 380 to the HF horn

post-15072-13819656357108_thumb.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was the thought behind raising the tweeters like that?

Mike,

In
the early stages of trying to "dial in" the high end horns I thought
it might help to push the horn back, but I then got a lot of high end
distortion. So I then thought about elevating them. That helped a bunch, but as
I got the attenuation to -12db a friend of mine recommended the towels. This
yielded great results. Playing classical music at performance levels used to be
uncomfortable but now my Wagner stuff that has the most extreme dynamic range
is so enjoyable.

BTW
I used fishing line and with the JBL 2435 that only weigh 3 pounds it was easy
and looks cool too. I am looking to move
to a new house so this setup won’t last.[:(]

This is my first pass on using a subwoofer

I don't know anything about that sub and not much about them in general however, I've got to wonder if it even begins to be able to keep up with these

The sub is a Bob Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature with 2,700 watt amp and specially designed twin driver setup. Probably enough output for the home, but a large room may be tough. I've been told that it has alot of output headroom. Its hard to say its there as I have it wired in paralell with the bass cabs with the crossover at approximatly 40hz. I need to wire in the sub to the Driverack and play with the crossover.

How did you mount the horns on the wall? At first I thought that was an illusion.

Fishing line.

Please also understand I am now the proud owner of some very nice Heresy Is and a set of Forte IIs so I don't feel as guilty of playing in this sandbox.

Hey, bracurrie, congrats on the Fortes and Heresys!! Don't feel guilty about playing in the sandbox. We've all been in it. Some of us stil are. [;)]

We've just got to find the opportunity for you the hear the real deal now. Where are you located? We can see if there's some Jubilees near by.

"...

That makes me nervous, but the results are very pleasing. What are the drivers that Klipsch makes for Jubilees?

...."

I am curious as to your choice of the HF driver and horn. Could you tell us about the horn's design and what your strategy was in choosing them? For instance, are there any data on their efficiency and how well they control dispersion, or how the crossover is set up?

The HF driver was recommended to me by the bass cab builder. The horns were demo units he had laying around. One has a slightly larger throat after the opening and is overall larger in keeping with the tractrix formula. Kind of a gamble. But they sound great to my old ears. My desk is 15 degrees off axis of the left speaker and it sounds great to me. As I have them five feet of the ground the vertical seems ok out 12 feet or so at a sitting positiion. Wonder what they will sound like out twenty or thirty feet.

The JBL 2435 is a pro product for large systems and is very efficent. Accuracy is stunning IMO. Thinking about conical horns and/or top hat enclosures.

Brad

They look nice! Even if they are not real!

As far as a subwoofer goes you'll need a powerful one or two depending on placement.

Also this is a great bass bin for playing around with.

Try not to be put off by some of the negative comments you will hear for some poeple here about you're clonesSmile

Thanks! I think.[:$]

What levels do you think I pay at?[:)] Performance level will be a challange, for sure.

Where did you get your "fake" jubs?

I do not mind negative comments that come from a sincere point of view.

Do you know : OALAH everybodys got one ? [;)]

Brad

Comments? Suggestions?

I believe that your dbx DriveRack will allow you to dial-in some delay on your hf horns: are you using delay, and if so, what value (milliseconds or microseconds) are you using?

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the reply!

I elevated them to correct an early observation of boominess that probably came from the room. Now the wheels make cleaning and moving a lot easier. I am using a sub to make up for not being able to use corners. (I passed on some cheap Khorns for this reason too.)

I haven't broken the ice on delay yet. Suggestions?

Brad

I trust you know that there is a member here who's got a Jubilee HT setup in Lebanon?

Aside from all the hardware chit chat....

They sound pretty unfrigging real, don't they!

Yes

DK on the Lebanon member. Send my regards.

The bottom end is so good that now it makes sense to correct the room acoustics. First time I have had speakers that were better than the room at even relatively low volumes. Also, now on too getting the hardware behind them up to snuff.

On the subwoofers for just music you might be fine? I use subs with my Klipschorns.

For theater use a I think a sub is required as the LFE channel carries its own info.It needs to have good output!

I built the tubaHT subs for my setup. Two of them keep up with the rest of the system really well.

The clones I built myself with info gathered here and there. They are still a work in progress. crossovers and top horns?

I'm using them as rear surrounds where another set of klipschorns would not work. They sound very impressive.

Bill,

I am in Nashville. " We are music" Cool

I am not sure I want to listen to the real deal just yet. It would be a bummer to go back and think what I have may not be good enough.

BTW do you have subs?

Brad Currie

Hi Brad,

It's not that what you have isn't "good enough". It's what you could have may be a whole bunch better.

I use a KPT-884 sub with my Jubs for HT. For two-channel music, I just listen to the Jubs. Roy has a magic EQ for the Jub bass that helps them go really deep and really clean. Roy, recommended the 884 as a good match for the Jubs in home theater application. This bad boy is really clean down to 18Hz. I power it with a Crown XTi 1000.

HOLY SMOKE, Rigma's only 30 miles away from you. He has a fabulous all-Jubilee HT. You really should go listen. As I said in a different post, "You ain't heard nothin' yet".

I haven't broken the ice on delay yet. Suggestions?

I don't know the path length of your hf horn (from the diaphragm of the hf driver to the exit plane of the horn's mouth). My guess is that you'll need between 4-6 ms delay on the hf horns. The Jub bass bin has about an ~8 feet long effective path length, and I'm guessing that your hf horn is about 1.5 feet long (I'd measure it with a tape to the nearest 1/4 inch).

The relative delay is, in round numbers:

(8-1.5)/1132 = ~5.7 ms

This correction should be audible as you walk up to a speaker--you should be able to hear an integrated image up to about 2 feet in front of the speaker. It will also show up in the crossover region (...what frequency are you crossing?... 400-500 Hz?) as added smoothness, flatter FR, and more stereo focus at the crossover frequencies.

I'm going to risk being labeled a stickler about my suggestion to move those top horns back down to the top of the bass bins. Just for grins, I'd just let them sit on top for test purposes, letting the horn's mouth stick out in front of the bass bin by a 1/2 inch or so, but the whole speaker should be aimed directly at your listening position. You should get an amazing amount of stereo imaging when you do... [:-*]

Chris

I don't know what this nonsense about "negative comments" is all about.

I think the comments have been relatively helpful. The OP has been given several useful suggestions:

1. remove the wheels

2. get them near corners

3. use time alignment on the crossover

4. some concern about the choice of HF horn

5. some concern (ignorance really on my part) about the match of the woofer to the cabinet.

There are others we have not touched on yet.

I hope he considers these points. No one has attacked the cabinet cloning. I think we are under the working assumption that the geometry of the cabinet is approximately correct (of course, we do not know for sure).

I hope he enjoys the sound and I hope our collective suggestions might make things even better.

I'm going to risk being labeled a stickler about my suggestion to move those top horns back down to the top of the bass bins. Just for grins, I'd just let them sit on top for test purposes, letting the horn's mouth stick out in front of the bass bin by a 1/2 inch or so, but the whole speaker should be aimed directly at your listening position. You should get an amazing amount of stereo imaging when you do... Whisper

I totally agree, but I might suggest leaving it totally flush with the front...that way you can increase the acoustic size of the mouth, which should improve behavior near the xover frequency. I've seen as much as 3-6dB of free gain in similiar situations.

Thanks for the suggestions on delay and horn placement. I will report results when I can get to it.

I checked with Bob Crites and he recommended 500hz for crossover as he measured a dip in his drivers there. Been using 600hz so I will try that first before I play with the high end.

Brad

I am in Nashville

Are you headed for Lebanon yet?!?!?!?? Wink

I would think that anyone who seems to be such a stickler for accuracy as you are would at least suggest an apples to apples audio test, it would be easy to overwhelm Brad with the audio setup in Lebannon, but can you honestly say that he would be hearing only speaker differences? come on now, he is bi amping with a couple of $250.00 solid state amps, You are sending him into an environment that is much more high end, I would guess some costly single ended amps like what I use, if you really want to know about the cabinets and their build quality that he is listening to I suggest you call Bob Crites, he has a set in basic black just like Brads, and Bob will tell you what Tony Reed and Dee Edwards said when they listened to his bass bins. Bob told me that Tony Reed stated "they sound just as good as every other set of good jubes sound like" and I'm betting if you are as big a Klipsch affictionato as you sound like you probably know who Tony Reed is. My point is why send someone in to an audio environment for a listening test where much better electronics are used and then hope you send that person home kicking rocks while you are telling him its all his inferior speakers,!