Home Theatre Mods

JasonJCarney

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here it is in it's new home. Wasnt the easiest thing to put up because of the weight but it sure does look cool.

1310611528.jpg

1310611544.jpg

1310611605.jpg

I ended up switching the AVR and the amp's spots. Unfortunately my speaker wire would not reach the left side cabinet so I had to put the amp in the right cabinet and the Onkyo in the left. I stained all the insides of the cabines with a super dark walnut although you cant see much of them. I added some ventilation and blue LED's to the cabinets as well. I'll get pictures of the fans later. I will say that the Emotiva runs cooler than the Onkyo ever did.

1310611640.jpg

Does the onkyo run cooler now that it's just passing the signal along to the Emotiva?

Meh.... a bit cooler but not as cool as I expected. I think I'm going to pick up a laser temp gauge and quantify the temp change. Are you having heat issues with your onkyo? Get your amps up and running and that may help a bit.[Y]

I just ordered a set of rf7ii's. Can't wait. I did get my XPA-5 in and all set up. I'll post up picks as soon as I can get to the laptop.

Congrats on the amp looks great! And you have rf-7ii on the
way! Wow x-mas at Jason’s lol. So how do you like the emo so far? Do you still
have the rf-63 hooked up? Also did you have any static or ground loop noise? I get
a small amount of hiss but have gotten rid of all the noise.

I was getting a soft fuzzy noise from the 63's before making the rca cable connection on the back of the emotiva. once it was all connected it went away. How do I like it? Hard to say. I'm not really noticing too much difference right now. However someone told me to hook 1 of my fronts up to the xpa and leave my other front connected to the Onkyo, then play 2 channel stereo mode. He said to sit directly infront of each speaker for like 30 seonds or so and that would be a good way to make direct comparisons. My room is rather small as well so I dont put all that much volume to my speakers anyway. Once I get time I'll make the direct comparison and I'll type up my review.

Your setup is coming right along! Everything is looking great! Congrats on the 7 IIs! But will you have enough room for them? I know you said the 63s were firing right into your couch.....once you get them hooked up and turn them up a little it probably won't matter bc you are going to love them! I love mines but then again I was coming from the 82s.....not the 63s! lol. And how are you liking your subs? It looks intimidating to have those 2 beasts staring you in the face at eye level. lol. I know that room rocks! But good job on your setup and hopefully your 7s will get there ASAP

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help deciding what to blow my next wad of easily earned cash on. Besides [D] and [pi]! Here are a few things I was thinking about:

1. New screen from Monoprice. $400-$600 range but may offer the biggest improvment over all the options I am considering. I have a painted screen right now but I have been having trouble getting it right.

2. 2 more subs for the front stage. Looking at either $350 for 2 lava's or $1000 for 2 more eD custom subs. I would like to get my hands on a couple paradigm DSP 3400's as well. My room already has plenty of base so besides maybe smoothing out the response a bit I probably won't notice a huge difference.

3. Monster AVS or Power conditioner. This could be expensive. Like $700 for a used AVS and another $300-$600 on the power conditioner depending on the model. Im sure I'll notice no difference here but maybe some piece of mind?

4. Logitech remote $300 range with the ps3 adaptor. Never had a universal remote so I don't know what I'm missing at this point.

I am super happy with my front stage speakers and don't plan to upgrade from those ever. I Love my A5-350's so no changes there. Emotiva is cool looking although I honestly cant tell a difference between that and my Onkyo. Love my Onkyo. ps3 aint going anywhere. My surrounds will get changed at some point but I'm happy with them right now and want to run them for at least a few months or a year.

I am thinking about adding another cabinet here:

13106116401.jpg

My epson is 17.7 inches wide. Can't remember how wide the projector cabinet is but I'm guessing about 19 inches. Most Monster products are about 17 wide and most avr's and amps are also about 17 wide so as long as I make the cabinet the same 19 inches (assuming Im correct) as the epson cabinet then I should be able to fit almost anything I would think about putting in there in as well as keeping my symetry with the upper cabinet.That would be for a monster unit if I ever buy one of those and my HT PC if I ever get a new case for it. In the mean time I could put my ps3 and cable box in it. Just spit balling from work as I am getting plenty of *** time tonight! lol

Probably a screen I would think would be the biggest upgrade.

But I don’t know much about projector stuff. I’m not a big fan of expensive

power conditioners other than how cool some of them look. You could probably

just spend $100 bucks or less and should feel pretty safe. I’m a huge sub

junkie so investing in more/better bass to me is always worth it if you have

the room. One option you haven’t listed would be a sub eq to tie in everything.

If you’re running your 7s large or pretty low you will want an onscreen graph

of how all the speakers are working in the room together. The dips and bass

nulls can be huge. Also keeping all those big drivers in phase with each other is

hard by ear, they can cancel each other out and you might not even know it. I had huge bass nulls I didn’t know I had and

on all 3 of my subs i needed to adjust the phase to get a flat response.

Probably a screen I would think would be the biggest upgrade. But I don’t know much about projector stuff. I’m not a big fan of expensive power conditioners other than how cool some of them look. You could probably just spend $100 bucks or less and should feel pretty safe. I’m a huge sub junkie so investing in more/better bass to me is always worth it if you have the room. One option you haven’t listed would be a sub eq to tie in everything. If you’re running your 7s large or pretty low you will want an onscreen graph of how all the speakers are working in the room together. The dips and bass nulls can be huge. Also keeping all those big drivers in phase with each other is hard by ear, they can cancel each other out and you might not even know it. I had huge bass nulls I didn’t know I had and on all 3 of my subs i needed to adjust the phase to get a flat response.

That's intresting. I don't know the first thing about eq'ing subs. I know my onkyo has the ability and I played around with it a bit but honestly the adjustments I made had everything sounding worse! lol Is that program specific to velodyne? How is it run? Obvisouly a microphone and some kind of program but what? Also is this something I should run in addition to audyssey?

Really easy to use on the back of the eq it has a bunch of

outputs, and inputs. How it works you run your lfe output from your avr to the

eq then the eq has 3 sub outputs that you run to your subs. all the outputs are

the same so you can Y as many subs as you want. Then you run 3 rcas from the eq

to the avr (left/right audio and 1 video). Here is a great link on how to use

it. Works with all subs and yes you can still use audyssey.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/90525-calibrating-your-subwoofer-velodyne-sms-1-equalizer-analyzer.html

Wow, $500.00 for a sub calibration...I can see where buying a $1500.00 Velodyne has some perks!

I would buy a new screen. If you want to save a little cash on it, try this: http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/120_screen.html Solid quality and great picture! The construction of the frame and stretching the material took some time, but I am very happy with the end results!

Wow, $500.00 for a sub calibration...I can see where buying a $1500.00 Velodyne has some perks!

I would buy a new screen. If you want to save a little cash on it, try this: http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/120_screen.html Solid quality and great picture! The construction of the frame and stretching the material took some time, but I am very happy with the end results!

I hear what you’re saying about the price. Depending on what

you have invested it isn’t always a good value. I have over 3k invested into

subs alone so paying 450 to 500 extra to tie it all together with everything

(mains to) makes sense.