Do I need to update, referb, or modify these La Scalas?

Onyx77

Hi all, I am new to the forums and have actually posted a similair post in the technical forum, but thought it may be appropriate here as well (or more).

I was driving down the road, when I saw a guy taking two large wodden boxes to the street. I stopped and they were two homemade La Scalas that were built by a master carpenter (so i was told). He obtained them as payoff of a debt the carpenter owed him. He lives in a small house and his wife made him move them to the garage and then finally spring cleanning made him move to street.

He helped me load them and I have tested them on a Samsung receiver. They work, but I am not sure if everything is working as they are intended. I have done alot of research on them over the past two days. I have read from the history of Klipsch to the many homebrew versions of the La Scalas and Khorns.

I am attaching pics of the speakers and the crossover. Please let me know if they are worth keeping and if they are, should i referbish them, upgrade the crossover, stain, etc...

I have an old kenwood amp that I was planning on getting a power converter for and giving them a real test. Is that a good idea? I am attaching pics of the amp as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

photo1wl.jpg

photo2zk.jpg

photo3ooh.jpg

photo4np.jpg

photo5ov.jpg

photo6dw.jpg

photo7mj.jpg

photo8yr.jpg

photo9y.jpg

photo10uz.jpg

Is that amp 12v Dc and 4 ohm? Looks like a car amp. These speakers are likely 8 ohm. Another thing, if they are truly like La Scalas, its not about watts. They will run quite loudly on 40 watts. With horn loaded speakers like these, there is a point where the watts causes a lot of distortion. Keep it under 150 watts per speaker IMO.

The speakers look like one of my pairs. The crossovers look too simple. Perhaps you can ask somebody like speakerfritz if he has any old LS xovers he will sell. Of course, you need to know about the speakers you are crossing over. Open the bottom and get the woofer info. The tweet should be held in by 3 screws. The horn should twist right off.

If the speakers are good replicas, they would be keepers.Real La Scalas would be worth about 400 each like that. I'd say those are worth 400 for the pair. All that depends on the drivers, though.

Much appreciated. I actually saw that crossover when doing my research and tried to follow the ins and out to see if it matched the ones I have. I will take a look at the sub to see what kind it is and update after. May not get to it till tomorrow. That actually is a car amp i assume that wouldnt be the smartest way to test the speakers with an amp but its available and free...Thanks for the reply.

That actually is a car amp i assume that wouldnt be the smartest way to test the speakers with an amp but its available and free

I am not an expert but I would not use that Kenwood to test those speakers. If you don't have a home stereo(just saw a receiver in photo), go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and pick up an 80's stereo receiver(should be able to find them all day long) for under $50.00 and give them a whirl. Then get more advice. Plenty of the educated kind on this forum.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Bill

It is a speaker lab from what I can tell. I have a sanding receiver i use for my

Surround sound hooked up and it gives me a good idea of what it will sound like with a bit more. I attempted to remove the back panel to see what kind of 15 is in there. Damn flathead screws! Was rushed for time and didn't feel

Like leaving them half out. If the horn is not a k. Doubt the sub is... So overall. What would you guys (or gals) do to these to make them quality keepers? They take up so much room that i want them to be as should if I am going to keep?

• Moderators

Even with the different horn it probably sounds good, i don't even know if that horn would really make much difference ?

Definitely keepers

They would even sound good with this little amp, and play loud, and be portable with a portable CD radio.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380

since I'm from Iran and there is just one LS in Iran to 99.9~% and that is mine, I can say if someone else show up with a pair of LS (or any other heritag) I'll pay even 1000 boxes for them... But you're in free world so you should consider everything and if they worth, so buy them

The mid horn is a speakerlab. Not sure if it's an appropriate substitution for the k400.

That is a cast aluminum horn made by Speakerlab in the early 70's (H350). I have two just like them. They were clones of PWK's. I don't remember a La Scala kit but they offered a Corner horn kit. This was the horn supplied with that kit.

• Moderators

The mid horn is a speakerlab. Not sure if it's an appropriate substitution for the k400.

That is a cast aluminum horn made by Speakerlab in the early 70's (H350). I have two just like them. They were clones of PWK's. I don't remember a La Scala kit but they offered a Corner horn kit. This was the horn supplied with that kit.

Well there you go Onyx, you don't have to worry about the midrange horn, it's a copy of the original. [Y]

I really want to thank all of you for the input so far. I will not test with
the Kenwood car amp. That was something my neighbor had in his garage that was
just a thought.

Mustang Guy: you said they look like one of your pair... I will do a little
search on this forum to see, but do you mean that you would have possibly made
it? I'm in Lafayette, LA. PS thanks from saving me from unscrewing the back for
no reason

Bill: Thanks for the welcome. I think I am going to enjoy learning about the
speakers. I have never quite been an audiofile, but last night I took a step
back from the speakers to listen... Very Very crisp. Music was playing through
receiver via iPhone. Some music sounded a little too on the high pitch, but
that was really when I was standing too close to the speaker.

BR928: Thanks for the solid info on the Speakerlab horn. Good to know.

I took the bottom off and was able to snap a pic or two of the sub. See
below. The serial number is from the sub. I haven’t had a chance to search
google to see if something comes up as I don’t see any brand name on any
component parts.

If you guys see anything you recognize, please let me know what it is. If
you see anything that is not up to par, please let me know. I am very
interested in this now and will be keeping them and cleaning everything up.

Arash: Good Point.

See below for pics.

photo1ejp.jpg

photo2yc.jpg

photo3vv.jpg

photo4gx.jpg

photo5cjd.jpg

Replace the mid horn with Tractrix horn, fastrc horn is a bolt inreplacement. Replace homemadecrossovers with ALK crossovers. Bob tweetr is bolt in replacement. With these you have speakers that can compared to just about any speaker out there at very smal fraction of the price.

why would you not use that amp to test the speakers?

In looking at the specs of the amp, it is only 40W X2. I thought it looked like a monster amp. He could use it, but it seems silly since he has a receiver in the picture that is 8 ohms and plugs into a wall socket and not a car battery.

Mustang Guy: you said they look like one of your pair... I will do a little search on this forum to see, but do you mean that you would have possibly made it? I'm in Lafayette, LA. PS thanks from saving me from unscrewing the back for no reason

They look like a pair of La Scala's I own. Here is a pic:

toughlascala.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg