Picking a New Receiver

D. Ryan

Hi gang, I've posted here a few times months ago but dont rember my username or which email goes with it.

Just got done putting remodeling and upgrading my HT. My System is as follows.

HK AVR 520 Main Amp

Pioneer Elite VSX 26 THX Slave

KG 4s Main L/R Front

KG 2.5s Upper L/R Front

KV 2 Center

KG 1 Main L/R Rear

KG 1.5 Upper L/R rear

Custom Sony 10" Sub x2 (powered by a seprate 300w stereo Amp) in sealed enclosures

Polk 8" 150w powered sub behind the couch.

The HK AVR 520 is Starting to show signs of failure in the center channel and im looking to replace it. i would like to Upgrade to something better than either the 520 or the VSX 26. I'm looking for something lightly used maybe a couple years old. However i would like it to have 5.1 or 7.1 pre outs so i can use it as my main amp. i dont like the fetures of the VSX so it will remain a slave amp as just a work horse. I was thinking the VSX 82TXi but im still unsure and dont know how much i would like another Pioneer as Remote functions might interfere. Please help me out making a solid choise as i would like to pick something up in the next few days Thanks for any advice.

If you do not need a AVR to go online, I found a good used Yamaha RX-V1900 HD 7.1 AVR that had 14

months of Best Buys warranty remaining on it for $600.00(retail was $1.399.00) with the Ipod dock. It is replacing my 2008 Onkyo TX-SR805 HD AVR that I had problems with several times in the last 3 years. Not knocking all Onkyo AVR just saying

what happened to me with the 805. I had had Great service life with Yamaha AVR. I have 2003 RX-V2400 7.1 AVR that still works great. But no HD or HDMI or it would still be in th HT room. My Brother has had the same great luck with Denon AVR. There are so many good one's it makes it tuff to pick one. What ever you pick if you play it all day like I do (retired) install a good fan and don't stack on it for good venting space above it.

Amazon has a Denon 3311ci for $538.00 there were 4 left in stock. They are used/returns with warranty. Great deal for a 120X7 HD AVR that retailed for twice this price last year. It's hard to find a new AVR with 120X7 for a new/last years model for $500.00. Yamaha RX-V1065(new under $500.00) has 105 watts Google it I looked at it and the 2065 when I found the 1900.

I had really bad luck with Onkyo TX-SR805 HD AVR (new in 2008) it fried parts several times so I finally replaced it with a different brand. Not saying all Onkyo AVR are bad but I do suggest that you do NOT stack onything on top and get a fan for it. I did all this on the 805 and it still had heat issues. I must admit I run a AVR 14 hours a day (retired) so 3 years of my use is like 8 for a normal person that works...... My neighbor has a old Onkyo that is 6 years old and works great...... no HDMI as these seem to be a problem with mid level Onkyo after several years of playing Blurays. I would purchase any extended warranty.Best Buy etc so if it fails and can't be repaired you have store credit for another AVR. Do a search on Audio Karma on the 805 you will suprised at how many posts there are on a on going 3 year topic.

I had really bad luck with Onkyo TX-SR805 HD AVR (new in 2008) it fried parts several times so I finally replaced it with a different brand. Not saying all Onkyo AVR are bad but I do suggest that you do NOT stack onything on top and get a fan for it. I did all this on the 805 and it still had heat issues. I must admit I run a AVR 14 hours a day (retired) so 3 years of my use is like 8 for a normal person that works...... My neighbor has a old Onkyo that is 6 years old and works great...... no HDMI as these seem to be a problem with mid level Onkyo after several years of playing Blurays. I would purchase any extended warranty.Best Buy etc so if it fails and can't be repaired you have store credit for another AVR. Do a search on Audio Karma on the 805 you will suprised at how many posts there are on a on going 3 year topic.

any advice then?

i dont use my AVR for HDMI pass through so i dont mind an older receiver. Looking for the Best Clean Power for the buck. $500 is about my limit but something a few years old wouldnt bother me. still rocking Old school KGs all over wouldn't mind a slighty out dated amp if in its day it was a powerhouse. Was looking for the HK AVR8000 but cant seem to find one.

Onkyo has great bang for the buck and they are not known to have issues, but I've had issues with mine as well. It does get hot and will need breathing room, but otherwise should be a great choice. My friend has been using his 807 for three years now in a 7 channel configuration, but he uses 4 pre-outs.

any advice then?

i dont use my AVR for HDMI pass through so i dont mind an older receiver. Looking for the Best Clean Power for the buck. $500 is about my limit but something a few years old wouldnt bother me. still rocking Old school KGs all over wouldn't mind a slighty out dated amp if in its day it was a powerhouse. Was looking for the HK AVR8000 but cant seem to find one.

NEW................. look on Ebay and Amazon and others for a RX-V1065 Yamaha HD 7.1 AVR 105X7 there a few of them "A" stock when I was looking for a AVR last month for under 500 bucks delivered... Used . look at all of the different brands for a deal. Someday you may want a HDMI port for a Bluray or to run A/V thru the AVR to the TV for HD decodering.

FWIW, I wouldn't write off Onkyo just because of a few negative forum posts. Were talking about a company that sells quite a few units worldwide; there will be duds. Of course, the same could be said of any major manufacturer. The question is will they stand behind the product, and Onkyo (and the rest) are pretty good about it.

In any case, I'd suspect the onkyo and marantz I linked to would get the job done. I suspect comparable denons and yamahas will too.

I agree, I went from my Yamaha RX-V2400 (no HD or HDMI) to my Onkyo HD 805. I loved it, strong amps but it fried parts 3 times. I have read where others are still playing their 805 with no problems. As I posted not all Onkyo are prone to this bad of service life in 3 years.

• Moderators

As I posted not all Onkyo are prone to this bad of service life in 3 years.

Granted, I only had my Onkyo for maybe 1 - 2 years before upgrading. My father has an older Onkyo 777 and it's been kicking for the past 4 years.

Does your Dad's unit have HDMI? These(HDMI boards) seem to be a problem with some of the mid level Onkyo AVR's, if Bluray use is extended. Several movies in a row (near max on amps) and no fan. I plan on a seperate amp to go with Yamah HD AVR I have now. I was told it's a warmed over 1800 like yours. Hope it lasts like my 2003 model 2400. Looking at Outlaw 5amp unit. I really have to deep in amps for sound effects to "Move" the den on Bluray or FIOS HD TV....

I have 6" fan blowing on my AVR/Amps ..1900 runs Much cooler doing this after 10 hours straight use. 6" of top venting space and opened the rear of AVR rack. Don't hear the fan if Shaking the room on a movie :-)

You think the factory refurb is sound?... im looking really hard at the 807 at $525 shipped its making me salivate a little.

At the moment, it's showing at $480. Even if you add in a 3 year warranty, it's another $33. IMO, it'd be hard to do much better.

I've had 10 Onkyos, 5 failed, and they are not a very good match with Klipsch.It is well known for years and webwide they are not music avrs, ok for HT.If you do some research you will find this is a common theme.