Is there a 5.1 satellite receiver?

m00n

Do 5.1 satellite receivers exist? If so, can anyone point me at one? I am very interested in reading about them. I have seen there is one brand that claims dolby digital.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

sort of........ Smile.gif

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003574.html

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Not really a satellite receiver i'm talking about I know, but I received word from an inside source Smile.gif that my cable company(Charter Comm. in Minnesota) has gotten in about 200 5.1 digital cable boxes and they are testing them now. I'll be first in line to pick one of those bad boys up. Hopefully they start/are broadcasting HBO and such in 5.1. Too bad not all of our channels are digital yet....I can't even use the digital audio out on the cable box I have now to listen to the major affiates.

moon, that's digital cable tv. i've had a scientific atlanta explorer 2001 digital box from TimeWarner for over a year now. it has a coax digital out to run w/ a single rca interconnect to a coax digital input on the receiver.

before that they also offered a pioneer box that has one. but you're at the mercy of the cableco as to when/if they get the boxes.

yes certain stations like hbo, showtime & starz broadcast in DD 5.1 but only on certain shows. so whether you have sat or cabletv, it's up to the broadcasters on 5.1. still even on 2-channel digital broadcasts (DD 2.0, ac-3) you get better sound with the digital connection, even though that's decoded by the receiver w/ dolby prologic.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

So is satellite digital or analog? I would have to think it's digital. But what do I know.cwm1.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

i have a motorolla digital cable tv box,

29af27b0.jpg

but its digital output does not work! all it is there for is for a cable man to connect his computer to it. why would they not let us have digital sound when that is all they ever brag about on the commercials?! please explain. if you can.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

moon it's both - some stations have digital sound (the digital channels) & some don't (therefore it's analog).

so to play all thru a receiver/ht you need BOTH digital

& analog connections to said receiver. of course digital channels can also be done in analog (two connections - L&R), but digital sound can't be done w/ analog connections.

justin, have u tried calling the cableco or dropping in one of their outlets to get a new/other dig box?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

i have called and they acted like they did not have any with digital output. why would someone spend $60 a month for digital cable television with a $350 HDTV decoder from the company, and not be able to have digital sound? i think that is crazy personally. and when they came to install it, they took two things from us. 1, a $45 monster cable 5-2050Mhz RG-6 splitter, and our $85 monster cable surgeprotecter, we called and called and called and the guy never picked up and the cable company denies it. ugh. we pay a total of about $120 a month to them for cable and cable internet.

i will keep haggling them. they MUST have one. thanks boa.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

The lame thing is most cable guys know nothing about Home Theaters. I have a friend who works for the cable company and I said, " So when the cable guys go on a service call do they bring a digital box(digital audio/video outputs) and an old analog box(analog outputs) on the call and install which ever best suits the application?"

Nope, not in these parts. They just grab one off the shelf and go. So in theory your local cable company may have installed all of their digital boxes on 13" black and white t.v.'s sitting on top of cardboard boxes and when you call in to get yours.... sorry they're all out. Smile.gif

sorry for the cable company rant, I'm sure you're all aware that they suck...

Mike

Justin your cable company sounds a lot like mine, RCN. They have a very high speed fiber optic link that handles a high speed Internet link to my Cat5 LAN, two phone lines, and a high end cable TV package for about $140 or so a month.

I have two Motorola units just like yours (for two TV's)... and they don't have 5.1 or even a functional S-video out. They say they have no better boxes available either. And, they have had my primary email address screwed up since before Christmas! Sadly, they seem to be the best game in town... and their high speed computer link consistently tests faster than DSL.cwm36.gif -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-26-2002 at 09:19 PM

If you are using Direct TV, a satellite receiver is available that can playback in Dolby Digital 5.1 via a Digital Coaxial or toslink fiber optic cable, provided the content is being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1. I just upgraded my satellite receiver so that I would have this capability, the unit is the RCA DRD-485RG. I have had excellent results with it. It also provides component outputs for superior picture quality.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (ALF/ARF)LWE-I's w/motion feedback

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (400W X 1)(KV-4 Center)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier(400W X 2)(Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4)(RR/ARR/LR/ALR) (Heresy II's (Walnut/Cane) & Infinity SM82 (Walnut)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

Pioneer CT-S88R Programmable Auto-Reverse Cassette Deck

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

VC3 Deluxe Video Clarifier

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD/CD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

BBE Audio Recovery System

A/D/S L300E Mini Speakers (Eggshell)(LF/RF)

JBL T545's (Rear)

GE 20" Television

I have not ever heard of a Time Warner outlet... this is uplifting if they do exist in my area Wink.gif

wish DVD's were the quality of HDTV. Like comparing VHS with DVD haha

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

moon it's both - some stations have digital sound (the digital channels) & some don't (therefore it's analog).

quote:

so to play all thru a receiver/ht you need BOTH digital

Boa...not so mine. I'm hooked up to Dishnetwork. Chose it specifically because it offered DD5.1 back when Direct was still trying to get it going. The receiver model I have is the 4700, ordered from the Dishnetwork service for $199. I've recently added another for the bedroom and it has that hard disk 'TIVO' type deal, though it's not TIVO and it only cost $147. BOTH units hook up to my DD5.1 Denons via Toslink ONLY. No need to have the analog inputs as the signal is all digital. So you assign 'TV' at the Denon as 'optical digital 1' and your off and running.

I have found that very rarely do most channels broadcast in DD. There are a few DD pay for view movie channels that state "DD5.1". I usually go for the DD5.1 with Letterbox. It is comparable to DVD quality. Every now and then, one of the premium channels like Encore, HBO, or Starz will transmit a flick in DD. It's usually one of those things to where you're thinking to yourself....'hmmm that sounds pretty good' and you look over and see 'oh yeah, look, the DD light is on....'

Dishnetwork is also the only satellite provider who has DD5.1 AND HD for the full experience, unless Direct has recently added that option. The HD decoder/DD5.1 Dishnetwork receiver is about $500 currently and you have to install an additional OVAL dish uptop your roof to aim at their dedicated HD satellite. Maybe next year......

------------------

Ed

This message has been edited by edwardre on 04-29-2002 at 01:44 AM

yes edward that's a nice thing on sat (dss). w/ cabletv the analog only stations outnumber the digital

though they've been adding more dig lately. still few broadcasts in DD5.1. we need to get on the broadcasters for that. cinemax is still behind the curve. & on cabletv the ppv aren't in DD5.1. that really bites when you're forkin over 3.95/show.

also, showtime does a few in 5.1. haven't caught any on encore yet. seems 1st a broadcaster has to have the encoding equipment to do DD5.1, then they have to actually broadcast a 5.1. hope they quicken the pace. but the cable or sat cos. are really at THEIR mercy.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-29-2002 at 11:28 AM

I have a Dishnetwork 4700 w/ the DD optical out. I too bought this one because of the capabilities. The following channles broadcast a majority of their programing in DD 5.1. HBO East/West, Showtime East West, Starz East/West. Most of the pay per view is also DD 5.1. I have also been able to enjoy some of ABC and NBC in DD 5.1 over the dish( I get the locals broadcast by Sat.)Also one of the great benefits of a sat is all of the sound is digital. So even if you don't get 5.1 the dolby Pro Logeic is excellent. Forget digital cable its a bunch of crap. I started with digital cable when it first came out thinking it was DIGITAL. The box even said Dolby Digital. It's a bunch of horse pucky. Buy a dish! The picture and sound are well worth it.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer