speaker refinish question...

Schu

have any of you guys had your speakers refinished by someone else? the reason I am asking is I dont have the skills necessary to do it myself(even though I am mechanically inclined) because I want them perfect.

what do you think is a fair amount ot be charged for redoing the finish on a pair of cornwalls? I want the old finish striped of and corners fixed and back, sides, face and top revineered.

thanks

Perfection? Wow... that sounds expensive!

I'm much more comfortable with at least one tiny flaw. That way I might be a little less upset when something happens. Of course, if I am paying then I expect nothing less. I would just be terrified trying to get them home unscratched.

Be sure to share pictures if and when you get these redone!

I have seen several members do a fantastic "professional" job.

I would think you would be paying almost half of the value (~$300-$500) to get nice quality from a place that does this commercially.......

I am with Muel; +1 for trying yourself...... (Who knows.... could be a new business for you).......

Good luck and post pics if you DIY or have someone do it....... [:D]

I've written this before, but I'll say it again.

The biggest problem is that it is difficult to do anything well the first time. On the other hand, the second or third time always goes better because you've gained experience. Therefore I suggest you find some piece of furniture at a thrift shop -- maybe even an old, small speaker -- and work on that before turning to subject speaker box.

I also point out something the from the guys who grind telescope mirrors. If you want to grind a six-inch mirror (for your first project), it is quicker overall to grind a three-inch mirror beforehand. The learning experience is worth the investment in time.

When professional finisher write advice to amateur they always say, "experiment" with color and finishing. That could be taken to mean, do it ten times But I'll say that that the learning curve is such that the second effort is better and by the third (your final) you've really improved a whole lot.

WMcD