KLF-C7 underwhelming

bwilbur

I just bought a KLF-C7 as a first step to upgrading my current HT setup from Polk Monitor series II to Heritage (I also have some Chorus II not in use). So, I unplugged the Polk CS1 and plugged in the C7. I was anticipating a significant increase in volume with the step up in efficiency (99 vs. 90), but the actual output seemed equal at best. The detail seemed slightly less with the C7 in comparison with the CS1. I was really disappointed because I was expecting a sound that rivaled or matched the Chorus. It's not as though there was no sound coming out or any distortion, I was expecting an increase on the lower end as well as more color from the horn. It was just underwhelming.

The center is powered directly through the AVR which is a Yamaha V667. Is it possible that C7 is just underpowered?

Thanks,

Brian

shouldnt be much comparison between those speakers, id give the c7 some real power and see if that helps, the 667 doesnt look like it puts out much umph and when driving more channels its really going to lack umph, my one dealing with yamaha was they were great entry level avrs but really lack the ability to make speakers sing, looks like it does have preouts though, id start by adding an external amp

That is a "top of the line" center that should blow the polk away.

Maybe you are used to the polk's brightness. (You say you are expecting color from the C7's horn. It should not be bright or colored but nuetral)

Also; what settings are you using with the polk? Were you EQing it; and crossing it at all?

Did you re-run YPAO after the install? If you didn't the KLF-C7 is being subjected to the CS1 settings and EQ curve. I can't imagine that the two EQ curves would be anywhere close to each other.

Re-do YPAO from scratch and see if you don't hear a BIG difference. The Polk CS1 is no slouch but the KLF-C7 should blow it away.

Did you re-run YPAO after the install? If you didn't the KLF-C7 is being subjected to the CS1 settings and EQ curve. I can't imagine that the two EQ curves would be anywhere close to each other.

Re-do YPAO from scratch and see if you don't hear a BIG difference. The Polk CS1 is no slouch but the KLF-C7 should blow it away.

I didn't rerun the YPAO. My initial thinking was that I wanted to compare volume without YPAO making any adjustments which should attempt to target the SPL. But, I can see your point about the EQ curve not matching. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

I can not speak for the Polk but I just recently replaced an RC-35 with the C7 and I am very happy with the results. The dialog seems to be much clearer

and distinct with the C7. To me, the RC-35 was a better performer when the volume was turned up but at lower volume it did not shine. Just my two cents.

I can not speak for the Polk but I just recently replaced an RC-35 with the C7 and I am very happy with the results. The dialog seems to be much clearer and distinct with the C7. To me, the RC-35 was a better performer when the volume was turned up but at lower volume it did not shine. Just my two cents.

I didnt like the rc-35 at all at lower volumes, as you said at higher volumes it worked well but to me, very sluggish and muddy at lower volumes.

There is definitely something wrong here... I had a C7 for over a year, and it was an amazing, dynamic, clear center that made me seriously consider going from my Fortes to KLF30's... both series were out of production when this took place, so I went for the simpler upgrade, and bought an Academy to blend better with my Fortes. But I still consider the KLF-C7 the most dynamic center of its style.

You might want to check to make sure both woofers are outputting, and that you are wired in phase...