Changing Capacitors on K-horn Type A crossover???

I have a bit of Audio Nervosa lately and wondered if there would be any Sonic BENEFIT in changing out the caps (2 microFarad & 13 microFarad) on my Type A crossovers on my 1974 K-horns.

The crossovers are Bob Crites replacement Type A's with the older GE brand motor caps (oil filled?) with a tolerance of +/- 6%.

I know Bob C uses Sonicaps now...

Has anyone tried any of the expensive exotic caps (Duelunds / V-Caps, etc.)? What's your experiences on the Type A X-over?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

as you said crossovers are from Bob so they ought to be under 10 years, it's needless to change the caps

I have a type AA over 35 years (sound good) but Bob suggests to recap them and I'm listening

hello you can use bobs caps

i have jantzen caps i my type a crossovers i like them but bay bob tweeters and get 4500hz that is the best in my ear for klipschornsBig Smile

I'd like to keep the drivers stock, especially my alnico magnet tweeter... my system sounds great with the Crites Type A with GE caps; I just have an itch to try better caps to see what type of change I'll hear.

From some crazy audiophile friends of mine, they swear by Duelund caps for loudspeaker crossovers... BIG BUCKS, though... :(

A set of those for a Klipschorn would cost more than my last car did.

Duelund VSF Silver Capacitors
to the shop
Order Code capacitance (μF) Body dimension H x W x D (mm) Price exc. vat
Duelund VSFAG - Duelund VSF Silver Capacitors, 200Vdc
VSFAG-010*** 0.1 5 x 35 x 45 £327.80
VSFAG-020*** 0.47 6 x 37 x 45 £402.30
VSFAG-030*** 1 10 x 42 x 45 £495.42
VSFAG-040*** 2.2 5 x 86 x 103 £782.24
VSFAG-050*** 2.7 6 x 88 103 £901.83
VSFAG-060*** 3.3 7 x 89 x 103 £1147.29
VSFAG-070*** 4.7 10 x 92 x 103 £1564.48
VSFAG-080*** 5.6 11 x 93 x 103 £1747.01
VSFAG-090*** 6.8 14 x 96 x 103 £1951.88
VSFAG-100*** 8.2 16 x 98 x 103 £2279.67

Thanks for the link!!!

See the verdict on the Duelunds... best there is... I guess...

Had an audiophile friend over for a listen yesterday; he was an ultra-fi manufacturer of audiophile stands for a long time and he gets "manufacturer's discounts". He just purchased 6 Duelund components to upgrade his crossovers on his "Analysis" speakers (ultra-fi ribbons based upon Apogee designs that are built in Greece). He paid $5K USD for 2 capacitors, 2 resistors & 2 wire inductors... 60% off retail pricing!!! $5,000 to upgrade his crossovers!

BTW, he heard my K-horns yesterday & said... "I wish I kept my Klipschorns with the center channel Belle"...

[Y]

Pete

I haven't run these as much on As but I have rolled caps quite a bit on AA, also with alnico - the V-Cap OIMP (oil in metallized polypropylene). They are my preferred choice for the 76 Belle Klipsch, being the most transparent and "not there" kind of "there" that just lets the music shine through. It's a tweaked to the hilt vintage Mac rig, having the best in caps and tubes throughout the chain, and the V cap based AA's are a big reason it all sounds so good. They have a 12uf which worked well for Belles (about 450 hz IIRC)

I find great value in those simple early networks. For triode folks - or in my case MC30s, where it's not about volume and thump but the natural close as life midrange at more modest volume levels. For this purpose I LOVE the idea of playing around with an A or AA with GOOD parts. When DeanG recommended the VCap builds for my Belles I did it on a bit of a leap of faith, but the end results were even better than I expected. I rolled a set of VCaps into a friend's Cornwall Bs and he "got it" in very short order, and I also found it an immediate difference, especially with the imaging after a hundred hours runtime.

I've run GE/Motorola oil can replacements (still have a certain magic),
white Sonicaps (good value), Solens, and also spent time listening to
Hovlands, Auricaps, and Audiocaps in a few different configurations. All have a bit of a differing "finish".

It's certainly an interesting topic, especially from a triode perspective.

Thanks for your opinion...I currently have the GE motor oil can replacements (12 uf + 1 uf = 13 mf) which sound very good. I guess I'm looking for something better... How expensive are the V-Cap OIMP?

I currently have a couple V-Cap TFTF (tin foil) that I'll be experimenting in my Tannoy 12" dual concentric crossovers...

All of my observations will be from a Triode Perspective.

Thanks,

Pete

V-Cap OIMP price sheet is here: http://www.v-cap.com/oil-capacitors.php

On
a horn, I'm not so sure about the teflon formulas. Would be an
interesting trial on both horns and the Tannoys. However, the results of
the OIMP formula for the PWK "basic" networks are just
divine....especially for that triode way of listening. Juuuuuuust "wet"
enough to not be offending or excessively "etched" or clinical, but
allow all of the music to shine through. Excellent transparency without
the "film-and-foily" upper midrange slap. No long break in,
either.....fully "baked" within 100-200 hrs.

One reason I haven't
experimented with teflon in crossovers is that I'm not sure that I have
the patience to wait out the long break-in time. In my experience with
teflon formulas in gears, it's 500-1000 hours before full maturation
occurs, and that's when you find out if the caps are really right. These
teflon caps can do some amazing things in the right applications - the
bullet speed transients and uber transparent nature of these caps can
take a piece of gear up a couple of levels in performance. I love them
for coupling caps in good gear....and they especially work well, it
seems, in these amps made for horns with carbon comp or carbon film
resistors which have that relaxed signature. So the result is that
perfect crystal clear yet relaxed and warm approach that horns love -
like my MC30s. I think teflons might be too "open" on a horn speaker crossover, but that's just a hunch.

If
I were working with speakers with less efficient components, like cone
midranges and dome tweeters I would absolutely have interest in a
teflon capped network, but just don't see it worth the gamble for horns.
The OIMPs are perfect for that network as a "high end" cap.

Some
of these caps are quite expensive, but considering a full best quality
rebuild of these basic networks can be done for $600-700ish in parts
it's worth it as a critical upgrade to the Heritage. If it's gear you're
gonna keep for the long haul I find the best parts worth it. OTOH if
it's gear you're only going to keep before moving on to something else
you might not take the plunge (although you can sell a well built high
end network here if you sell off).

And I still kept the GE can BEC
rebuilds as well, as I do still enjoy the character of those on
occasion.....a nice way to make a system change, or when a change is
forced by service I'll roll in the GEs with Mac SS.

Thanks! I emailed Chris VH for OEM pricing on some caps. I also have my original AA crossovers from my '74 K-horns. Thinking about reusing the Type AA inductors & T2A autoformers (getting rid of the diode protection & the 245 uH inductor) to make up a Type A... I still like my BEC replacement Type A crossovers with the GE motor caps... sounds real good....

Pete

Pete

I loved the sound of motor run caps in those networks. People use those things as input to filter capacitors and cathode resistor bypass caps, too. Doubtless the new caps you are looking at are well made (they certainly should be), but hold on to Bob's GE caps too! They are arguably the closest in sound to the original network -- if that's what one prefers. People have made some pretty drastic/traumatic changes to the original design of the Heritage speakers. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. The type A is a very simple, yet very effective design. I've NOT been surprised at how many extremely high-end speaker designers prefer the low order networks (as in 6dB/octave) for their passive designs. Then there are those on the other side of the fence........... there is always the other side of the story.

Pete I loved the sound of motor run caps in those networks. People use those things as input to filter capacitors and cathode resistor bypass caps, too. Doubtless the new caps you are looking at are well made (they certainly should be), but hold on to Bob's GE caps too! They are arguably the closest in sound to the original network -- if that's what one prefers. People have made some pretty drastic/traumatic changes to the original design of the Heritage speakers. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation. The type A is a very simple, yet very effective design. I've NOT been surprised at how many extremely high-end speaker designers prefer the low order networks (as in 6dB/octave) for their passive designs. Then there are those on the other side of the fence........... there is always the other side of the story.

I like the sound of my Bob's big GE oil filled can caps in my Bob's AA networks. I've never felt the need to change. There's always was to improve, but they're good enough fo me.

Ah, the old bypass trick. Wow, I haven't seen those images in a long while. Do keep in mind that what we are looking at is a visually-based graph, not a human and highly subjective interpretation of the sound. Measured response is potentially useful and intersting, but when it comes down to simply listening and making a choice of preference of one thing over another (whether a cap type, the best choice at a buffet, or the latest hit at the box office), what is 'best' on an individual level may not be what everyone else or the critics like. I've bypassed many capacitors and yanked the cap out as often as I've left it in depending on the circuit in which it was used. One is free to experiment, and this is among the easier of experiments to perform.