The science of fanboyism

Chris A

Interesting.....I must be almost an anti fanboy.I have chosen many items then decided soon after that it did not live up to my expectations.I have bought items I really like too so..........sounds like normal stuff.On this very site I have posted much over the years on things I thought sucked, that I had bought with high expectations.If I buy it and it sucks I have no problem saying so.If I buy it and I'm happy I will also support it.

Basically I think it's just a way to try and explain personal preference.

I buy it and then I want to buy the other one also on some things. I can see advantages to both. I can also see the limitations of the item I bought. I think it is very shallow of someone to think that their's is superior just because they choose it.

I think it is very shallow of someone to think that their's is superior just because they choose it.

Why would someone choose what they think to be inferior?

because its cheaper and from their point of view a better value ~ albeit "inferior"

I think it is very shallow of someone to think that their's is superior just because they choose it.

Why would someone choose what they think to be inferior?

because its cheaper and from their point of view a better value ~ albeit "inferior"

and then they can argue about its superior inferiority or its inferior superiorness

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21294

See any resemblances? Wink Well, we all need something new to argue about besides tube amps or subs right? Smile

Indifferent

Interesting report. I've never thought of "fanboy" used that way however. I considered "fanboys" as advocating for clearly lost causes, or positions that have no rational basis, or dogma that has been proven wrong. This seems to be a very narrow defintion used here. Still interesting to ponder though.

As part of the study, Brehm selected two objects a given participant had

rated within 0.5-1.5 points of each other, and he told that participant

she could take one of the objects home. After the participant had made

her choice, she was asked to indulge in some filler activities, then

made to rate the items again.

That almost seems predictable to me on the grounds of A) personal investment; B) personal identity; C) simple familiarity. In other words, I am not much surprised by the result. Don't we all have a silly pocket knife in the sock drawer that is 40 years old and we can't part with it? Maybe it came on a free keychain, maybe we bought it for something, etc. Our attachments to artifacts is often very intense.

Interesting piece.

How true. It certainly explains the "antique market"..... The far end of the spectrum is the OCD hoarder of course.

The far end of the spectrum is the OCD hoarder of course.

We don't know anyone like THAT...do we?

[:o]