This summer's back yard project

JB,

So how does the pond "operate"? Is there a pump bringing the water to the top of the hill and recirculating it over the rocks? Do you have a spring feeding it?

Its a skimmer system with a 5600 gallon electric pump that pumps the water into a bio falls with two filters flowing the water from the bottom to the top to promote benefital bacteria growth and then up over the top to start the falls. Its a closed water loop, its filled via a hose and due to evaporation you need to add some water now and then.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice pond Jackson, quite a nice retreat. I inherited a koi pond from the previous owner of my house which I bought in '99. some of the koi are the originals and we have had some born over the years. I probably started out with 20 or so, koi & goldfish, but we lost a bunch to a blue heron who turned the pond into his/her own sashimi bar. Not much you can do about that, blue herons are a protected species. I think there are 14 or so fish in the pond now. I have had good luck with Pondmaster pumps & have 4 of them running now, both 1800 & 2400 gph models. My pond sits in partial sun so I do have string algae problems but the pumps keep the water moving which helps with oxygen transfer.

The pond never ceases to amaze me whether it is the survival of the fish through a brutal winter like the one just passed or the various wildlife that stops by for a drink, from deer to possum, cats etc. I even had a sharp shinned hawk take a bath one morning. As a result I try not to use too many chemicals in the pond, the fish are tougher than you think. Maybe I'll take some pictures this weekend and post them to your thread. Good luck.

Please do, I would like to see pictures of it. The pump I have is Steady Stream, if I run into issue after the warrenty runs out I will look at the pond master. Thanks

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators

We had pizza night last Friday Night. They tasted great.

That looks great, I love that grill/pit/bbq, cool idea to adjust the height. [Y]

Got to be carefull walking down that rock back to the house after a few adult beverages. [:S]

JB,

So how does the pond "operate"? Is there a pump bringing the water to the top of the hill and recirculating it over the rocks? Do you have a spring feeding it?

Its a skimmer system with a 5600 gallon electric pump that pumps the water into a bio falls with two filters flowing the water from the bottom to the top to promote benefital bacteria growth and then up over the top to start the falls. Its a closed water loop, its filled via a hose and due to evaporation you need to add some water now and then.

Unacceptable non-stereo techno geek references on a non-standard authorized subject matter.

Please delete.

The Fun Team

• Moderators

I just built this greenhouse and put in this garden. Realy looking forward to some home grown tomatoes!

Another great looking yard, very nice. What part of the country is that, love the rolling hills. [Y]

I just built this greenhouse and put in this garden. Realy looking forward to some home grown tomatoes!

Very nice project... Did you build this one from scratch or was it a kit?

It's a premanufactured building from www.backyardgreenhouses.com. 12'X8' tempered glass with plumbing and electric. I will be eating fresh tomatoes in December. Not to mention my wife will be maintaining fresh herbs year round.

[:)]

Another great looking yard, very nice. What part of the country is that, love the rolling hills. Yes

Thanks. It is westernmost West Virginia. We are just across the Ohio river from Marietta, OH.

Here is the back yard of my lake house at Stonecoal Lake. I wish I could spend more time there. School ends this week, so I think we may go spend a few days...

5.jpg

Very nice project... Did you build this one from scratch or was it a kit?

It's a premanufactured building from www.backyardgreenhouses.com. 12'X8' tempered glass with plumbing and electric. I will be eating fresh tomatoes in December. Not to mention my wife will be maintaining fresh herbs year round.

Smile

Sounds just like what we enjoy here... I'm going to look into this setup.... Thanks...

• Moderators

Here is the back yard of my lake house at Stonecoal Lake. I wish I could spend more time there. School ends this week, so I think we may go spend a few days...

Great view, I can see why you want to spend more time there. very nice.