sub for rf-5

The Dude

My dad has a pair of RF 5s with a Onkyo 5.1 receiver that he is using for a 2 channel system, he mainly listens to classic rock his room could use some sound treatments but that will be next anyway. Is there any decent used or older subs around 200-300 range that help out he doesn't need a lot just a little extra.

Thanks

Nick

I ran a pair of RF-5's with a 100wpc Carver amp and they just pounded the bass. Are you sure the receiver is set for "large" for the L&R's? He may not be getting the entire signal sent to the speakers if the previous use for the receiver was HT. It may be set to "small". The other issue may be the amplifier section of the receiver, it may not be up to task. RF-5's with a stout amp shouldn't need a sub for any type of music other than maybe organ.

I run my RF-5's with a Paradigm Servo 15 sub, and can highly recommend it. I concur with "CECAA850" that a "stout amp" can make all the difference. I am now using a Luxman 120a (120 wpc) and the difference between that and the HT receiver I was previously using is just amazing. Up until I made this change I really did not appreciate the comments I had read regarding having adequate power. However.....unlike "CECAA850" I would still say that the RF-5 benefits from a sub, as do a lot of speakers, especially given the content of a lot of todays recordings that I listen to. It's amazing what you discover buried within a recording that you previously had not heard without a sub.

I ran a pair of RF-5's with a 100wpc Carver amp and they just pounded the bass. Are you sure the receiver is set for "large" for the L&R's? He may not be getting the entire signal sent to the speakers if the previous use for the receiver was HT. It may be set to "small". The other issue may be the amplifier section of the receiver, it may not be up to task. RF-5's with a stout amp shouldn't need a sub for any type of music other than maybe organ.

i have those RF5's now and without even corner loading I can make things shake during movies. I do recognize that I'm missing the deeper LFE tracks, but there certainly isnt any lacking in bass.

However.....unlike "CECAA850" I would still say that the RF-5 benefits from a sub, as do a lot of speakers, especially given the content of a lot of todays recordings that I listen to. It's amazing what you discover buried within a recording that you previously had not heard without a sub.

I'm not going to argue the merits of having a sub, rather I'll agree with you on this observation. I'm a huge proponent of subs and their benefits. My only thoughts were that if he feels he NEEDS a sub with those speakers that something was amiss albeit setup or amplification. I never felt I NEEDED a sub with my RF-5's. I couldn't get a sub fast enough for my Lascalas.

Yes the RF-5's have excellent bass on their own especially when paired up with a good amp. I have used them with a couple of different receivers on their own amps and also with an XPA-3 and now with an XPA-2, the amps really do make a huge difference. For 2 channel music I think that the amp has more benefit than the sub although a sub adds a lot, for HT a good sub is a must.

I have also used my RF-5's with an RW-12d and my current RT-10d, the control and power of the RT-10d really blends well with the RF-5's bringing them that extra low LFE without being at all boomy or unnatural. The blend is excellent for music and home theater. The RF-5's really have great bass and match flawlessly with a quality sub.