Alternate to Rc-7?

WeebMan

• Moderators

If your talking about a 3rd floorstander
being a better option at center than a center specific speaker then your
flat out incorrect.

That's a pretty bold statement Jason. I guess it's ok for you to be sincerely wrong. [;)]

Also check out the Klipsch THX Ultra II center channel and the ProCinema center channels. Both are phenomenal!

I agree with you corn.

I'm sure the Klipsch engineers knew what they were doing when they decided to use three identical speakers for the LCR in the THX Ultra2's? Also, which speaker in the Cinema Series is the center channel? Correct me if I'm wrong I believe in most cinema theaters, they use identical speakers up front.

Most center channel speakers are horizontal and different from the main speakers because of room constraints. IMO, almost any speaker (not including dipole or bipole speakers) that can produce crystal clear highs, natural vocals and great midbass/bass would make a great center channel speaker.

Probably one of the nicest home theater's I have seen is BIGmouthinDC's - Link

Here are a few more systems I found that I bet sound amazing using three identical speakers up front.

thx-speaker-layout-baffel-wall616w.jpg

7.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

final36.jpg

2Speakers.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"True on all accounts. One problem though... Your center channel is playing a different signal than your right and left channels. In all channel stereo then sure. But not for home theatre."

I think what you are trying to say is that different sounds come out of the middle. This is true for dialogue only. Any other action should be identical. So is the RF-64 II superior to the RF-7 II in dialogue? Perhabs due to the 2.5 way design (the other reference speakers are 2-way). On the other hand, if you listen to music in 2-channel stereo mode, do you have trouble hearing the vocals? NO! Tower speakers are EXCEPTIONAL at reproducing vocals. Again though, for most of us it isn't worth the added hastle, expense, and the overall poor asthetics associated with three towers. The centers are pretty darn close to the towers, so unless your area is specifically designed for a behind the screen set-up, why bother?

Weird. The 64 has 2 crossovers points (1100hz and 1400hz) which makes it a 3 way speaker. The rf7 has 1 crossover point (1200hz) making it a 2 way speaker. If it was a simple factor of size alone then the speakers would be identical in every way except size. The 64 is more versatile and is specifically designed for use as a center channel in HT. Will it sound fine in other applications? Sure. Will the rf7 sound fine when used as a center? Sure. Which speaker will offer more acurate sound for HT use? rc64. Specs prove that out. There is no argument.

If your talking about a 3rd floorstander

being a better option at center than a center specific speaker then your

flat out incorrect.

That's a pretty bold statement Jason. I guess it's ok for you to be sincerely wrong. Wink

Also check out the Klipsch THX Ultra II center channel and the ProCinema center channels. Both are phenomenal!

I agree with you corn.

I'm sure the Klipsch engineers knew what they were doing when they decided to use three identical speakers for the LCR in the THX Ultra2's? Also, which speaker in the Cinema Series is the center channel? Correct me if I'm wrong I believe in most cinema theaters, they use identical speakers up front.

Most center channel speakers are horizontal and different from the main speakers because of room constraints. IMO, almost any speaker (not including dipole or bipole speakers) that can produce crystal clear highs, natural vocals and great midbass/bass would make a great center channel speaker.

Probably one of the nicest home theater's I have seen is BIGmouthinDC's - Link

Here are a few more systems I found that I bet sound amazing using three identical speakers up front.

AudioengineAudiophilespeakersforPC-Keith

thx-speaker-layout-baffel-wall616w.jpg

7.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

final36.jpg

2Speakers.jpg

There nothing bold about it. It's a fact. Feel free to call klipsch as I have. You posted a few shots of triple gloorstanders and bookshelves. Feel free to stroll through the "let's see your home theatre" thread and pick out all the home theaters with true center channels and post them up. Why not give both sides of the story? Odd how the people that disagree with using a true center speaker actually use them themselves. That should say all we need to know

"There nothing bold about it. It's a fact. Feel free to call klipsch as I have. You posted a few shots of triple gloorstanders and bookshelves. Feel free to stroll through the "let's see your home theatre" thread and pick out all the home theaters with true center channels and post them up. Why not give both sides of the story? Odd how the people that disagree with using a true center speaker actually use them themselves. That should say all we need to know."

First off, if I called Klipsch and said I wanted to build the best possible, spare no expense HT, they would recommend I use their ProCinema line which has no center. I posted white papers on the benefits of using a floor standing speaker. You posted nothing supporting your opinion except that most people use a true center. The reason is as stated...it's easier and it sounds almost as good. Not worth the hastle.

• Moderators

You posted a few shots of triple gloorstanders and bookshelves. Feel free to stroll through the "let's see your home theatre" thread and pick out all the home theaters with true center channels and post them up. Why not give both sides of the story?

My point was to show that there are some fabulous systems that have three identical speakers up front. I have no doubt in any way that these are "inferior" to a system that has a horizontal "true center speaker".

Odd how the people that disagree with using a true center speaker actually use them themselves.

Nothing odd about that at all. Exactly where do you suppose I put another RF-83 in my system? As previously stated by many of us, most of us do not have the ability to place a third tower speaker in the middle of our system.

It's just fun watching you get defensive and argumentative [:@] but after awhile, it gets old. [;)]

Just for clarification.... What center speaker are you 2 using? Yes... End rant

RC-3, soon to go to an RC-62. A tower speaker wouldn't fit under my screen. What three towers did you listen to in an HT set-up? I've heard RF-82s and Paradigm monitors. I thought that the vocals for the three RF-82s were equally good to my RC-3, but the soundstage was more seemless. Now you go.

Weird. The 64 has 2 crossovers points (1100hz and 1400hz) which makes it a 3 way speaker. The rf7 has 1 crossover point (1200hz) making it a 2 way speaker. If it was a simple factor of size alone then the speakers would be identical in every way except size. The 64 is more versatile and is specifically designed for use as a center channel in HT. Will it sound fine in other applications? Sure. Will the rf7 sound fine when used as a center? Sure. Which speaker will offer more acurate sound for HT use? rc64. Specs prove that out. There is no argument.

The RC-64 II is a tappered array 2.5 way speaker. Call Klipsch, they'll tell you. The 64 is LESS versatile as a speaker as it would absolutely suck as a front tower or surround (although I've never heard it in this configuration), meanwhile the RF-7 works great in all applications. You are likely correct that the RC-64 is better at discerning vocals than the 7 due to the extra crossover points.

Three of the exact same speakers across the front, no matter what they are, are a better match in timbre to two mains and a designated 'center channel' model. Centers are designed with compromise for placement considerations. Ideally, you want a vertical array anyway at center. Not a horizontal one. And for the argument that the center channel receives a different signal is just not correct. Sounds pan from left to right and vice-versa across the front stage during films all the time. You want as consistent a stage as possible, and the best way to truly do that is with the same speakers.

Three of the exact same speakers across the front, no matter what they are, are a better match in timbre to two mains and a designated 'center channel' model. Centers are designed with compromise for placement considerations. Ideally, you want a vertical array anyway at center. Not a horizontal one. And for the argument that the center channel receives a different signal is just not correct. Sounds pan from left to right and vice-versa across the front stage during films all the time. You want as consistent a stage as possible, and the best way to truly do that is with the same speakers.

Did you call Klipsch? [:)]

Wow... Care to explain the center channel not receiving a different signal than the r/l statement further? I am on some heavy meds right now due to a back injury but I am fairly certain the vocals comeing from my center channel are different then those coming fro

My r/l . Or has Dolby been pulling our leg low these many years?

Just for clarification.... What center speaker are you 2 using? Yes... End rant

RC-3, soon to go to an RC-62. A tower speaker wouldn't fit under my screen. What three towers did you listen to in an HT set-up? I've heard RF-82s and Paradigm monitors. I thought that the vocals for the three RF-82s were equally good to my RC-3, but the soundstage was more seemless. Now you go.

Wait, the 3 RF82's were equally good to your RC-3? Did I miss something... shouldn't a Rf-82 as a center channel blow away an RC-3?

The RC-64 II is a tappered array 2.5 way speaker. Call Klipsch, they'll tell you. The 64 is LESS versatile as a speaker as it would absolutely suck as a front tower or surround (although I've never heard it in this configuration), meanwhile the RF-7 works great in all applications. You are likely correct that the RC-64 is better at discerning vocals than the 7 due to the extra crossover points.

I have heard three rf63's as a front stage. Sounded great. Also heard the THX set up from klipsch which sounded nice as well. The rf 7 is not magnetically shielded either so I assume you wouldn't be using your 3 7's under a tv then? Seems odd one would spend thousands on a HT setup and settle for a sub par center channel as you 2 have.... Hmmm

I have heard three rf63's as a front stage. Sounded great. Also heard the THX set up from klipsch which sounded nice as well. The rf 7 is not magnetically shielded either so I assume you wouldn't be using your 3 7's under a tv then? Seems odd one would spend thousands on a HT setup and settle for a sub par center channel as you 2 have.... Hmmm

Should I have doubled my budget and bought a perforated screen and another 82? I'm not sure you are understanding anything that is being written here.