Cornwall II Vs. Chorus - some observations....

Chorus are in the house and kickin' rear - literally.

I took the opportunity to hook up the Chorus as mains, removing the Cornwall II's from their faithful perch as mains. It took the help of a buddy moving gear, so we took some time to listen before returning the Cornwalls and placing the Chorus as surrounds.

First, let me say that the Chorus make great mains. They have a good, tight sound that is easy to set up - almost anyone can find room for them. The Chorus certainly do benefit from corner placement - the lows were much more evident when placed there.

There is considerable difference in low end between the Cornwall II and Chorus - more extended lows on the Cornwall II, and just "bigger". Bigger image, bigger feel, more "slam". The Chorus is tighter in the low end, and not as extended. For a ported speaker, the Chorus has very tight bass.

The timbre matching between the Cornwall II and Chorus became oh so evident when I moved the Cornwall II's back in as mains, and placed the Chorus in the surround positions. The tweeter (K-79-K) and squawker (K-57-K) are the same in both, so this was expected. When we push timbre matching on this forum to the less experienced, there's a reason for doing so, and that theory is now displaying the audible benefits in my living room right now. It's really unbelievable - especially on music video when instruments get sent to the rear channels.

The Chorus fits my application like a glove, serving as the surrounds where I have no room for Cornwalls. I got the timbre matching in an easy to handle (well, until you lift them) cabinet.

That said, I prefer the Cornwall II as mains for the above stated reasons - the Cornwall, as usual, "slams" the competition - in this case, only by a noseSmile.gif However, those who don't have space for Cornwalls can be comfortable in the fact that the Chorus are not far away in the area of performance. If you have a subwoofer, you won't notice as much anyway. The most underrated speaker in the Klipsch line, past or present.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

*** Alpha Testing Complete ***

I set up all 4 chorus with the riser bases off,stacked, and toed them in the corner, now im really fricken rocking!

Im leaving them alone as original, ive toyed some and dont want to ruin them!

Ive found an 18inch EV im ganna modify with the Klipsch RP-3 powered tower amp!

So ill let you all know how that goes, i just need more funds!

The cornwalls were an explosion of sound, and are well missed here at home, with the modified sub, ill have that explosion once more!

The dam 18 inch box is almost the same size as a cornwall go figure LOL!

It was a very rare and lucky find, the 18inch is in a commercial speaker box!

Regards Jim

!

This message has been edited by Jim Cornell on 04-30-2002 at 12:03 AM

Mike

Space and bad caps in the corns, is what it turned out to be!

I have 4 chorus, and an EV 18inch sub modified to the RP-3 amp, i cut out a hole and installed the sub amp right into the cabinet, now i have the biggest self powered sub in the world LOL!

This is an industrial 18 inch bass guitar speaker it thumps hard!

Just another one of my mods!

Regards Jim

Yeah, I hear ya. Mobile is sorely missed around here. I hope to be seeing him this week as I am heading to Myrtle Beach tomorrow night. I should be there about 6 days and hope to hear his rig while I'm there. He lives about 50 minutes from where I will be staying. I'll tell him you said "hi"...

Mike