Sub placement

rennoc442

I get that, but since space is limited, and I cant mount this huge sub in my wall, I may have no option.

I have seen many home theatre's with tv's on top of centers, speakers on top of subs, and subs used as end tables. That said I would never put anything on top of my subs. Just personal preference

The best way to get a sub placed well=

Put the sub in the listener's position.......

Play music (including the sub).

Walk (or some prefer crawling) slowly till you find a spot where the subwoofer is well pronounced; defined; etc.

That spot is where you put the sub; and you tweak from there......

Hope that helps.....

Enjoy!

am going to try to place my center, on top of my sub. Any thoughts??? I will be using a heresey center, and a RSW-15 sub. I plan on using a thick rubber mat to go between the sub and center.

Anyone have any input???

Kimba,

I think that is a great idea. Since you are not running stereo subs, center front placement is probably the next best option. It should be very balanced and musical. Your Heresy will kind of be a 4-way speaker.[H]

Bill

am going to try to place my center, on top of my sub. Any thoughts??? I will be using a heresey center, and a RSW-15 sub. I plan on using a thick rubber mat to go between the sub and center.

Anyone have any input???

Kimba,

I think that is a great idea. Since you are not running stereo subs, center front placement is probably the next best option. It should be very balanced and musical. Your Heresy will kind of be a 4-way speaker.Cool

Bill

Wow, that is so wrong, what do you base this on?

Thanks Ironsave, will try that!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this, and their inputs on this setup.

The sub "crawl" is an effective way to find ideal placement. As well as listening while you're moving around the room you can use an SPL meter.

Thanks Ironsave, will try that!

Just wanted to see if anyone else has done this, and their inputs on this setup.

The sub "crawl" is an effective way to find ideal placement. As well as listening while you're moving around the room you can use an SPL meter.

Rennoc,

I agree with CECAA. Also, just wanted to point out that the RSW15 is an *** kicker of a sub.

(Expensive, but one of the better subs Klipsch has offered).

I suggest trying the crawl as well as the location you want (under the Heresy center). Maybe it will work out that they coincide.......

(If not; you could fabricate a nice stand for the Heresy center; or use risers).

Good Luck!

Wow, that is so wrong, what do you base this on?

My own trial and error. I am currently running a Paradigm Servo 15a centered up front with my Heresys in my spare bedroom and it sounds fantastic. I have based my opinion on my experience only. It seems to me that Kimba wants his system balanced asthetically as well as musically so hence my confirmation of his idea.

The sub crawl will yield better results most of the time and who knows maybe front center stage will come out on top.

Bill

I am going to try to place my center, on top of my sub. Any thoughts??? I will be using a heresey center, and a RSW-15 sub. I plan on using a thick rubber mat to go between the sub and center.

Anyone have any input???

It can’t hurt to try it but subs are picky about the spot

they sit in. if you set it up and are satisfied with the bass performance, and

it looks nice I say go for it. But my guess is you will probably lose bass

compared to other spots. But ya never know.

Bill, I asked because I see so many people just put the sub where it looks good (like in the middle) and then try to figure out why it sounds bad. I've even see people buy different subs to try to correct it. Sometimes you'll place a sub and end up having the listening position in a nul or a cancellation spot. Turning it up won't increase the bass you hear. Moving it will. Different rooms will react differently. Each room has it's own ideal placement location but rarely is it where it's asthetically ideal.

Bill, I asked because I see so many people just put the sub where it looks good (like in the middle) and then try to figure out why it sounds bad.

I get that, you are correct. I should have clarified that front center placement in my bedroom seems to have yielded the best results for me.

Bill

Where to movie theaters put their subs? Is it highly variable?

I haven't done any reading on it but I would think that the chain theaters have sound engineers set everything up for a typical application, then cookie cutter it and build duplicates.

Bill,

I have seen subs up front, and I believe that most theaters have them up front as well. Maybe not dead center but not in the corners either. I think for now I will hold off on putting the sub center, since it will involve me moving all of the electronics to a rack on the side. That will cost a few hundred since I will need all new, longer cables.