Klipsch SW110 or SW112

Groomlakearea51

Several questions

I want to buy one of these two models, "NIB" with warranty from Klipsch.

Anyone out there have either of these two? If so, impressions?

Application will be for my daughter's apartment. She has one of my McIntosh integrated amps (MA6500) with no "sub out". Speaker pair "A" are Heresy-II to Heresy-III conversions. They are really good, but she want's some more "thump" to that so-called "rock music" that she listens to....[:#]

I suppose that the only way to hook it up is with speaker pair "B" to the high level inputs on the sub?

Her apartment is small and I believe the SW110 is probably the better choice.

Thanks for any advice.

[H]

Several questions

I want to buy one of these two models, "NIB" with warranty from Klipsch.

Anyone out there have either of these two? If so, impressions?

Application will be for my daughter's apartment. She has one of my McIntosh integrated amps (MA6500) with no "sub out". Speaker pair "A" are Heresy-II to Heresy-III conversions. They are really good, but she want's some more "thump" to that so-called "rock music" that she listens to....Zip it!

I suppose that the only way to hook it up is with speaker pair "B" to the high level inputs on the sub?

Her apartment is small and I believe the SW110 is probably the better choice.

Thanks for any advice.

Cool

Haven't heard either one, sorry.

Small might be the better choice, but big is future proof. You can turn big down but small can only be turned up so far.

Most subs have high level inputs (and outputs). Run your speaker A wires to the sub and then go from the the high level connection output terminals of the sub amp to your mains.

I can't believe you're not DIY'ing her a sub. If a wood butcher like me can do it, I know you can[:P]. You can even match her veneer on her Heresy's.

I may try that, but the reason I am looking to buy a NIB is for the warranty and she lives in Orlando. Anything that goes out can be returned or repaired without me driving 220 miles.....

I have read the instruction manual on the Klipsch web site (and looked at the pretty pictures...), and it only seems that the speaker wires go out (both left and right) to the sub's amp. There is no mention or reference to bringing them out and then to the Heresy's, etc.

I called Tech support and they indicated that sending the signal to the high level out put using the "B" speaker pair was correct.

Only other method would be to buy another amp (or a pre-amp) which would not be very practical....

If I DIY, I need a simple, reliable design for a 10-12" with a ~200 - ~300 watt "BASH"/ plate amp.

Any help? Key would be reliability for the DIY version. She's not into the "let's see what this baby will do" frame of mind; I trained her well and she knows that if she breaks something from abuse, she will pay for it, not Daddy....

[H]

I am also looking at this route for a DIY here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-442

and

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-811

I spoke with their tech support. They advised that I can use the RCA line input and use a 250mV tape circuit as the source input but that would mean that I would have to manually control the sub-woofer volume via the gain knob.

That's not a problem as the sub-amp would be "in the rack" with the other amps anyways; and I like to "tailor" the sound with individual amps and speakers pairs...

[H]

I think what I would do is just use the pre outs and split them. Meaning both the left and right pre outs from the mac get a y splitter, one end goes back to the MA6500, then the other leg to the amps inputs. From there to set the sub volume, use the gain controls and ur all set! I would never use an amplified signal to power a sub, just never sounds right and you lose alot of signal.

The only thing that normally goes out is the amp. Find a good plate amp any you're good to go. Amps are typically what go out on the Klipsch subs so I would think you'd have just as reliable sub if you made it then if you bought one.

Snoop around HERE.

I agree with CECAA850's comment. In most case it's the amplifier that dies first!

Find a good CLASS D amplifier, mate it with good woofer, install it in a box and you are good to go! In theory - haha...I have heard RT-10D and 12D, but not the SW112/110. For the price difference, IMO, go with SW112 if little bigger size is not a issue as you are getting 12" driver and 600 watts worth of dynamic power to drive.

The XW-300 is set up in the master bedroom for my wife to "test" the sub experience. So far, so good. I set the sub up "conservatively", and because the normal volume level for anything is quite low (as in less than 85dB) most of the time, I did set the sub's volume at +3dB. Blends very well, and you can tell the difference, particularly when watching a DTV movie that's in HD. Subtle, and it's that area below ~35 ~40 that becomes audible. Not overpowering, but distinct.

I'm now looking at another option....

willand's 15" Paradigm for the living room which is (a) huge in dimension and volume (vaulted ceiling with 8' half wall between room and the dining room & kitchen), and a pair of SW-308's or a pair of SW-110's for the Wall of Voodoo.

I have solved the issue with the MA-6500's; there is a left and right "pre-out", but does not de-couple the 6500's pre and main when tapped; it's basically an internal "Y" connector (or so I have been told by a technician).

I belive, given the size of the man cave, and what's in there right now, the 308's would actually be the better choice.

The difference between them is the passive side radiators on the 308's. I believe that as long as they are in the center area, about 42" apart, with clear firing left and right of about 48" for the passives, there should be little issues other than setting the phasing.

The cost of either of the two choices is about the same, the 308's are NIB but in an "open box" from an authorized Klipsch dealer.

I can also get two NIB RW-10d's for $309 each from an authorized vendor, but is it a better idea to go for the newer technology?

Advice?

[H]

The only thing I can say is that Paradigm sub looks to be of the *** kicking type that would definitely be able to bring it when necessary.

I would love to have that sub.........

Ironsave,

Here is one less than 1.5 hours drive from you.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1317649193&/Paradigm-Servo-15a-Subwoofer

Bill