Amp causing terrible scratchy pop in speakers HELP!!!...

Brunt

Sup dudes,

I have an annoying problem I can't fix. I recently bought 3 Audiosource 100 amps and I run them bridged, one to each of my front stage. My issue is, no matter how I power them, no matter the combination of power strips, power conditioner, even powering them with an outlet from a different room...I can't get rid of the loud, nasty, scratchy popping sound every time I power up the amps. It's so bad it sounds as if it's going to cause damage to my speakers. First, what, if anything can I try to fix this? Second, would a better 3 or 5 channel amp like the Emotiva XPA3 or 5 not have an issue like this due to higher quality electronics?

Keep in mind, the AUTO ON feature with these Audiosource amps doesn't really work so that is not an option. It really sucks, because the actual performance of these things is great for the money.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The emotiva's won't make that sound. Not sure if it's a higher quality issue though. My promedia used to pop when I turned them on until I started powering down the source audio first and powering it on second. If you turn the amps on first and then turn on your Onkyo do you still get the popping? Also try turning your onkyo volume all the way down before you shut it off. When you power your amps on and then the onkyo (at the lowest volume setting) do you still get the pop? I can't help with what the actual problem may be. These are just the work arounds I use on my promedia's to keep them from popping.

The emotiva's won't make that sound. Not sure if it's a higher quality issue though. My promedia used to pop when I turned them on until I started powering down the source audio first and powering it on second. If you turn the amps on first and then turn on your Onkyo do you still get the popping? Also try turning your onkyo volume all the way down before you shut it off. When you power your amps on and then the onkyo (at the lowest volume setting) do you still get the pop? I can't help with what the actual problem may be. These are just the work arounds I use on my promedia's to keep them from popping.

Ha! Beat you to it! [;)]

This may not be an accepted practice, but are the amps grounded? (3 prong plugs).If so; have you tried cheater plugs (3 prong to 2 prong).

This can help isolate the issue. (If the sound disappears with the cheater plugs; it is a grounding issue).

I do not know if there is an issue running them like this for good........ (Might be ok; IDK).

This may not be an accepted practice, but are the amps grounded? (3 prong plugs).If so; have you tried cheater plugs (3 prong to 2 prong).

This can help isolate the issue. (If the sound disappears with the cheater plugs; it is a grounding issue).

I do not know if there is an issue running them like this for good........ (Might be ok; IDK).

Amps have 2 prong plugs...

Well, there goes that suggestion........

The only other thing that comes to mind is leaving them on all the time; but not sure if this would shorten lifespan; etc.......

Bad idea...... You could have your speakers blow if the amp does and even start a fire.........

Have you contacted the manufacturer? (I would; and I would let them know you are pissed)..........

Also; have you tried muting the Onkyo before you turn them on?

(Doubt that will work).

There has to be a way to mute the amps for 5 seconds while you turn them on.........

Is there a way to attach a grounding strap from each amps' chassis to a good ground?

I am sorry; I am out of ideas besides contacting the manufacturer and straps.......

Good Luck.

Amps are new and the noise I have been referring to is coming from the speakers. Never had a sound like this when onkyo powered the speakers. Any thoughts on build quality...especially when compared to some nicer amps? I hope I can fix this but I am cautiously optimistic when these amps are $85 a piece.

Have you tried them unbridged for s**** and grins?

No...mostly because unbridged drops wattage to 50w.

Beechnut may have a point.......

Perhaps the popping is due to your configuration......

(Again; this could be a grounding issue).

I suggest trying them unbridged to see if the symptoms disappear in this configuration........

Have you tried them unbridged for s**** and grins?

No...mostly because unbridged drops wattage to 50w.

Beechnut may have a point.......

Perhaps the popping is due to your configuration......

(Again; this could be a grounding issue).

I suggest trying them unbridged to see if the symptoms disappear in this configuration........

If it proves anything...what's the fix at that point, different amp?

Without knowing much about the amp, if it worked in stereo and not in bridged, I'd take another look at how I wired it and ensure I bridged it properly. If it was bridged properly and stereo worked but bridged didn't...I'm going through all the instructions to make sure I didn't miss something. Then, I'd probably do some of what you've done already in swaptronics. Try to find known good combinations and start layering them in. You did some of that with the power strips. Maybe, speaker cables, speakers....different AVR...etc.

Frustraighting I know [:@]

And BTW, swaptronics is a poor man's way to troubleshoot and takes a risk of damaging things. We've all done it, but I'd be remise to not say so. Multimeter with an ohm meter, volt meter, and diode checker goes a long way for checking cables.