Is a sub necessary

Dandoyen

Hey all,

I've currently assembled a 5.1 system, w/ brand new khorns (just ordered from klipsch) as well as a brand new la scala 2 (same order) that will serve as the center. I'm excited, but won't expect shipment for about 6 weeks. :( My current KLF-30s will be serving as my rears once all else arrives. My question is, with this set up, do you guys think a sub will even be necessary? System will be in it's own dedicated room. Not as big as I'd like (12'x18'), but only spare room I have at the moment and living room doesn't have desired corners for the Khorns. At least this room has all 4 corners :). The system will used primarily for music (mostly vinyl), but will still have the occasional home theater usage. All speakers will be driven by current Mcintosh MC207 amp once they arrive. I love the looks of the rt-10d sub for what it's worth, though I've never heard it. I won't pull the trigger until I get everything hooked up without the sub and will make a determination there, but until then my curiosity drives the question. Delivery is a ways away and I'm just doing my homework at this point. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks in advance

Dan

*I also have an arbitrary Onkyo sub that came in an old theater-in-a-box system. Pretty useless, but still makes it a 5.1 technically.

Hey all,

I've currently assembled a 5.1 system, w/ brand new khorns (just ordered from klipsch) as well as a brand new la scala 2 (same order) that will serve as the center. I'm excited, but won't expect shipment for about 6 weeks. :( My current KLF-30s will be serving as my rears once all else arrives. My question is, with this set up, do you guys think a sub will even be necessary? System will be in it's own dedicated room. Not as big as I'd like (12'x18'), but only spare room I have at the moment and living room doesn't have desired corners for the Khorns. At least this room has all 4 corners :). The system will used primarily for music (mostly vinyl), but will still have the occasional home theater usage. All speakers will be driven by current Mcintosh MC207 amp once they arrive. I love the looks of the rt-10d sub for what it's worth, though I've never heard it. I won't pull the trigger until I get everything hooked up without the sub and will make a determination there, but until then my curiosity drives the question. Delivery is a ways away and I'm just doing my homework at this point. Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks in advance

Dan

*I also have an arbitrary Onkyo sub that came in an old theater-in-a-box system. Pretty useless, but still makes it a 5.1 technically.

Dan,

You absolutely need a good sub. Not entirely for music, but absolutely for movies. A good sub is personal preference on music and also depends on your prefered listening. I have 7 pro-klipschorns and have a pair of Velodyne HGS-18IIs.

Roger

I agree with Roger. The big Klipsch speakers can get very loud, but not low like a sub can. In addition, there's things on the LFE track that you won't be hearing (feeling) if you don't have a sub. In a HT setting, your center channel and your sub are the two most important speakers.

I'm running a Khorn / Cornscala / Cornwall 5.1 setup and I too feel a sub is a must. Even though those speakers have good clean bass, i feel modern recordings (and a couple of exceptional older ones) have alot more lower bass than we imagine. Having heard that lowest octave, I can't go back to 2.0....

ROb

Fellas,

Loving the feedback. Thanks! It appears that this will be essential in achieving my desired effect, so that brings forth the next question...any recommendations? The room dimensions are currently 12'X18' so not very large. I want quality here, not just a loud thump. At first glance (with minimal research), it appears Velodyne and SVS have a good standing reputation (not saying there aren't other good brands I just don't know of them). Demos will be in store regardless but it would be nice to know where to look. I don't want to waste time with this when my set up is ready. Thanks again y'all!

Dan

At first glance (with minimal research), it appears Velodyne and SVS have a good standing reputation (not saying there aren't other good brands I just don't know of them). Demos will be in store regardless but it would be nice to know where to look...

Unfortunately, both those brands are only available internet direct... but they do make good subwoofers. The thing with highly efficient mains is they require large / powerfull subs to keep up with them. If you are looking for a commercially available subwoofer, personnally I'd probably look into one of the horn loaded subwoofers from Danley Sound Labs... but you have to be flexible on esthetics. [;)]

ROb

Below are my recomendations. Are a perfect match for the Khorns and the LaScala.

The Danley is in a different class, but both will kill LFE in movies. You will need a seperate amp for either, and don't waste time or money on a tube amp for a sub.

Read about Hoffman's Iron Law if you want to find out a bit about why these things are so damn big.

Which sub to reccomend.....

What is your budget?

The ideas mentioned (Danley; Horn loaded; etc) are all great suggestions.

If you desire a ported or sealed sub; there are great offerings there as well......

(Again; how much do you want to spend?)

Epik; Hsu; SVS; Velo; Elemental Designs; etc...... All have really good offerings.......

I love my Emotiva; but for K Horns? I don't think so..... (It kept up with Pro Cornwalls; but you probably want something MUCH more powerful than 300w RMS for your application).

Good Luck.

Thanks mustang for Tony's info. I've been on AVS forums for hours reading the dedicated DTS-10 thread. I'm falling in love with it! I really like the idea of building my own. Easy kit to build and I love wood-working (not that there's much to be done as everything is pretty much pre-drilled). This is more of an assembly project. No worries either way. Used to build wooden sailboats with my dad I know what i'm doing in that respect. Gonna give Tony a PM for amp recommendations. Even if I don't end up using this in my system I'm pretty convinced I'm going to build one. My dad has a similar set-up as mine. I think this would be a great gift idea. Thanks everyone for the info! This Klipsch Community is awesome!

I shouldn't mix a DTS-10 with my THT, right? Just wondering...

BTW, my current avatar is a THT almost completed... But given your room size, I'd go DTS-10 which can be placed along a wall (and the THT shouldn't be, so it takes up a LOT of space).

Danley ordered. Thanks for the inputs y'all! Will post pictures of setup when i return home from deployment. Can't wait to open my garage and see all my new goodies waiting for me! :D I have the perfect closet that runs the length of the room the i intend to port the sub into. I'm stoked!

Thanks again