HK Twin Powered 430 and Klipsch KG 2

Ironsave

Guys,

I have a set of JBL L 36 speakers that I currently power using my '70s HK 430 "Twin Powered" receiver in the bedroom.

They sound really good; but they are too big for the bedroom....... (They are almost a foot taller than my Heresy Is).

KG 2s are up for sale locally in Walnut. I intend to jump on this if possible; but have one reservation.......

KG 2s are 4 ohm speakers.

Will this cause an issue with the HK 430?

Can it handle this load successfully with no effects? (I would hate to shorten it's life or clip the KGs)

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.

• Moderators

According to the H/K 430 manual, you'll be fine.

What he said.

Ok I can't do this anymore, you'll be fine. [:D]

It will work, we use a HK 930 with some Cornwalls and it's a great sound, I doubt the 4 oms would make much difference to the HK, to me there made better than the newer receivers........just listen to the sound quality, try to find a similar sounding new receiver and see how much you have to pay.

Tested last night.

The JBLs sound very, VERY good.

The Klipsch KG 2 (Squared) sound excellent.

A lot of bass for such a small speaker.

I suspect once hooked up to the PC and using the sound card's EQ; I will be in a very good place in the bedroom........

You guys are right (as always) I had these cranking last night; and the HK showed no sign of any issues.

I thank you all! [:D]

Do you have a copy of the service manual? If not, I'll try to get it posted. I have two H/K 430 receivers, and one of them popped a couple of internal fuses during a thunderstorm (my younger son has it).

A couple of the fueses had blown... the manual helped me find them (athough you owuldn't really need a service manual to find the fuses inside the case).

Bruce

• Moderators

A lot of bass for such a small speaker.

That was one thing I noticed with the old HK's. I first got the Cornwalls I tried them with a Yamaha HTR, when I got the HK930 I was shocked at the extra bass compared to the newer Yamaha which was actually a few more WPC (supposedly). Not thinking I went to turn down the sub, which was on a completely different setup and not even on.

So you may loose a little bass with the computer running it, you never know until you try it?

Right now, I have been doing FM only on the HK.

(Not connected to the PC yet).

I shall be completing this hopefully this weekend.

Honestly; losing a little bass for the bedroom would be ok; but I do not think that will happen.

Most of my file collection are very HQ; so it should sound very good....... (Fingers crossed).......