DIY Subwoofers

sseymour

Finally got a chance to run some sine waves today. Sub is very flat with no EQ. NO big dips/peaks in frequency at all.

Here's some max SPL testing I did today:

16Hz = 110

20Hz = 117

31.5Hz = 127

45Hz = 125

The 31.5 & 45 tests really hurt my ears as my whole head rattled. So far so good, until I decide to build a twin

cwm4.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mlstrass:

Finally got a chance to run some sine waves today. Sub is very flat with no EQ. NO big dips/peaks in frequency at all.

Here's some max SPL testing I did today:

16Hz = 110

20Hz = 117

31.5Hz = 127

45Hz = 125

The 31.5 & 45 tests really hurt my ears as my whole head rattled. So far so good, until I decide to build a twin

cwm4.gif

sweetness!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

What is really impressive is the 117dB at 20Hz output!

Very impressive to say the least.

At 127dB at 31.5Hz is also very lethal,I know my Sunfire subs are extra potent at 31.5Hz and they(three Sunfires)belt 124dB.Its not a joy,its ear torture.OUCH

Now if I put the Aerial and Revel sub in the small room I get near 128dB output at 31.5Hz(close to the subs,about a meter away).Its killer wall breaking bass,my most crazy experiment was when I put all my susbs including the two borrowed Ultras in the small room and turned them all the way... cwm44.gif

BURP

Two breakers went and I almost collapsed. cwm3.gif

If I only had a pro AudioControl pro SPL meter I am quite confoident I could hit over 130dB at listening position(not 1M away).

BURP

Sounds funny but its lethal,at over 120dB you should use ear plugs(yes like the addict youngster gangstaz with the subwoofaz on da wheelz them carz).

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on DIY subs, ,especially sonotube subs. I am interested in this design but I have some size constraints. Do they have to be so large to produce quality low freq. sound? Would it be possible to go with a 10in driver, and how do you determine the length of tube? is there any difference in going with short and wide as apposed to tall and thin??

Thanks for putting up with all my dumb questions, I am new to HT but am learning a tremendous amount just by reading this forum everyday. Thanks

Mistrass,

Very good numbers indeed 3.gif I hope so much to get similar numbers when my Tumult sub will be built (with passive radiators). I think that at least, I should get even a bit more SPL because some says including Dan Wiggins that 1 Tumult sub = 2.5 Tempest subs. Some even say 1 Tumult for 3 Tempests but I hardly beleive it! As you may know, this is because the Tumult woofer has less distortion when pushed to its limit compared to the Tempests. But oh well... 3 times more, I find this rating too much optimistic, this is very unbeleivable 6.gif I know that the room come a lot into the game but Im sure that mine is smaller than yours (1500 cubic ft). Gotta see that before December this year I hope! 4.gif

Doozer,

It depends of how are you ready to spend 1.gif A tumult woofer with a high powered amp can give you very deep bass in a small enclosure. With all the great woofers out there from Adire Audio, Dayton and Stryke, I wouldnt think about a 10 inch woofer. They will displace far less air than great priced 12". For having as much bass as a low cost 12" woofer such as the Adire Audio Shiva, the Dayton Titanic MKII 1202 and the Stryke AV-12, you would have to pay more for a 10 incher. For a budget sub, a Shiva woofer + a 250W part express amp in a ported 3 cubic ft enclosure can give you great deep bass. But for many DIY subs, you may want to build bigger to have better sound such as a Shiva in a 5 cubic ft ported enclosure tuned at 18 Hz (EBS alignment). So to not build so big boxes, you may want to choose 12" drivers and if you want more bass, you can build another similar sub and to put it in the back of your room (the other sub in the front).

And to explain the differences between different sized subs...

Bigger subs will tends to have better low ends, to be more efficient and to have better bass quality (tighter, more natural, etc). Smaller subs will loose some efficiency and some extension but they will have more attack (chest thumping bass) and more mid-bass presence. But now, you must know that some small subs can sounds as good as some other big boxes with a different woofer. Some woofers will feel more confortable in a bigger box such as the Adire Audio tempest and some may be happy in small boxes.

12 inch woofers will generally like 4 to 5 cubic ft box while 15 inchers will prefer 7 to 9 cubic ft boxes... there are some exceptions but generally. Below these box sizes, the 12" and 15" woofers will be okay but they wont produce as deep, accurate and tight bass as I explained above.

I hope that I expalained well, I tried to explain largely. If you want more accurate answers later, just ask us a more accurate question now that you know some basic things 2.gif

Fire,

Thanks for the help. As far as cylinder style subs go, is it possible to place two drivers in a cylinder? and what positions would they have to be in?

Wouldnt that increase total performance? I ask this because I am limited on floor space, if I could use 2 10in in a single cylinder it would probably fit where I want to put it. I only have one place I can put the sub and it is in a corner next to my L/F main but I only have about 12 inches or so wide between the main and the wall. I originally wanted to go with an SVS but the 16in footprint is just a bit to big.

Thanks for the advice.

Also I showed the wife the pics of the SVS subs and you could probably guess her reaction... "Its how big?????"

• Moderators

I built a shiva in a 5cf box ebs alingement,only a ava250 amp,sounds very good to me . i have no way to test i only have a spl meter. Next i want to build a tempest or something to get more mid bass for movies.The shiva sounds good for music. I have never had any other subs so i cant compare,the only sub i have in stores that sounded better was the rsw15 ,hard to compare home Vs store.

• Like 1

----------------

On 9/16/2003 6:25:05 AM Doozer wrote:

Fire,

Thanks for the help. As far as cylinder style subs go, is it possible to place two drivers in a cylinder? and what positions would they have to be in?

Wouldnt that increase total performance? I ask this because I am limited on floor space, if I could use 2 10in in a single cylinder it would probably fit where I want to put it. I only have one place I can put the sub and it is in a corner next to my L/F main but I only have about 12 inches or so wide between the main and the wall. I originally wanted to go with an SVS but the 16in footprint is just a bit to big.

Thanks for the advice.

Also I showed the wife the pics of the SVS subs and you could probably guess her reaction... "Its how big?????"

----------------

Doozer,

The shape of the enclosure doesn't matter as long as you get the correct internal volume. One thing to consider with shape is vent length, if you do a ported sub, you have to make sure your port isn't going to be longer than the actual enclosure itself.

It's possible to put two drivers in one cylinder, again, it dosen't matter how you put them. If you have a large tube, you could put them both on the bottom, both on top, one on each end, or two on each end. If you have a limitation of only using a 12" tube, you'll have to go with a 10" driver or smaller. If you go vented with two drivers like you were talking about, you won't be able to fit a port in the enclosure.

Is it possible to get a larger tube and lay it on it's side(maybe behind a couch). This way you could possibly fit a larger driver. If not, then one 10" driver I recommend is the Dayton Titanic MkII for $140. If you want to go one of the best 10" drivers made, then you could use the Adire Brahma 10" for $340 shipped.

If you haven't already, download WINISD to play around with different boxes. Also check this Sonosub Calculator, it will help you figure out what size tube you need(just make sure to pay attention to the units your using).

Feel free to email or PM me if you need help in the design.

Frankie