New Jubs on the Block

RRFL

My LaScala are Tuscan Yellow satin sealed and back in the 70's looked awesome on stage as FOH. People remarked on how those little yellow speakers blew away all the big black ones. The become smaller in yellow and match well with the timber floor.

That's funny, I always thought the black LSs look smaller, but that 402 really dwarfs the La Scala.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hate to see one of those beautiful Jubs damaged..!

Just a FYI, maybe you have some form of protection between the LaScala top and the K402 bases otherwise you might want to double check those K402 bases for any screws that might be protruding past the Felt Spacers on the bottom of the bases which could scratch the top of the LaScalas.

Depending on your setup you might want to try another option of turning the LaScala on it's side with the K402 on top which would be bennificial in suppressing some of the side wall resonances that exist in this LaScala design.

Enjoying the pictures and post of your Jub adventures..YesBig Smile

mike tn

My 4 hour coastal walk yesterday helped with the damaged jub.

The Cinema Distributor phoned me today and said he was looking into getting another jub for me without woofers and to take the woofers out of number 3. I would keep number 3 and possibly place face to the wall and put the 47inch LG 3D LED TV on top so 3 matching but the centre jub would reveal it's 5 rear panels and the curve would leave space for the inside verandah doors to open as they are only 1 inch wider apart than the jub width.

The question is how do you test a speaker before delivery without the woofers. I'm looking for a commercial install job where I can repair number 3 sufficiently and get a new pair 5 & 6.

Thanks for that scratch warning, I did check for sharp objects. The 402 is back in the box now. My LaScala have been to so many gigs and every time I carried them myself. Mum bumped the front with the vacuum once would you believe and you can see the mark in the photo. I always packed them into my HiAce with blankets side by side facing forward a slight tilt backwards and then connected then to my in car system, where the first watt was all important, haha. My friends would complain that when I stopped behind them at the traffic lights they could not hear their car system at all. I always enjoyed the gigs where we had to drive through the national park.

Since my LaScala are going to be in my bedroom corners directly above the jubs in the lounge room. I'm thinking of designing some 3/4 inch ply baffles for the sides of the LaScala to match the width of the 402's and make some stainless 3/4inch clips to run down the side of the bass horns so the baffles will brace the horns from the outsides and colour match with the LaScala. I don't really want to mod them in any way that means no drilling. I have considered internal braces many times and have sat in front with plugs in my ears and my arms bracing the horns. Now days I don't really blow the windows out of the walls with the LaScala as I tend to enjoy the accurate detail and low distortion. At lower power levels the bass can be boosted to offset the roll off but generally I really enjoy that they are not bass reflex and when the bass stops it stops. I was fortunate to find the Yamaha B2x back in 1981 as it's single ended on one side of the speaker and push pull of the other and has two power supplies. Compared to the Phase 700 II it is as if something vanished and is an even better match for the LaScala than my Marantz 1200B.

My thoughts are to Biamp the LaScala with the Marantz for the K33 and the B2x for the 402's. The Heresy would be speakers B from both amps and have the KPT-409 along the side but that's future for now.

My LaScala are Tuscan Yellow satin sealed and back in the 70's looked awesome on stage as FOH. People remarked on how those little yellow speakers blew away all the big black ones. The become smaller in yellow and match well with the timber floor.

That's funny, I always thought the black LSs look smaller, but that 402 really dwarfs the La Scala.

I really like the Black you have for your LS its decisive black and the 510's really work.

I was considering a red mesh for the 402's maybe 3 strands per inch and a surround that just covers the holes with yellow ply baffles down to the floor matching the width of the 402's and bracing the bass horns. In corners that might have them balance. I would have about 14 feet from the listening position to the speakers.

The lighting and contrast in that picture makes it look like the bass horn has a grille, but it doesn't. However the K400 mids do have black grille cloth. I put it in from the back when I removed the horns to apply Dynamat to them.

It's stretchy black grille cloth from a car audio shop, secured with lots of staples. I didn't like the rough-cast look of the K400s on these speakers, plus the paint was patchy, so I went with the cloth look.

I tested the Jubs as a full range, haha, lacked a bit in the high end.The low end created interesting effects with the plastic wrapping and the cardboard box. I found I really needed another dozen pairs of hands.

It was very apparent even in the cardboard box that they are outstanding for those who have the need for speed.

post-45280-1381966208253_thumb.jpg

My damaged Jub is now included in a quote for a system to upgrade the Klipsch ceiling speaker system in a Bar at World Square Sydney.

The plan is to glue and clamp the damaged ply to coax it back into shape, invert the jub create some very short legs and a water proof timber or glass top. Set it in the corner where it was originally proposed to use a pair of 400watt 18inch drivers in reflex enclosures and couple the jub with 6 SLS LS6593 line Arrays in 2 columns. 1 column next to the jub the other in another location for coverage.

So hundreds of people will hear the jub each week.

I know I should not be tempted to start JubScalaing and get the house finished but what frequency would you suggest to cross over the K33 in the LaScala with the K69 in the 402. what is the highest usable frequency from the LaScala basshorn

I don't think the brand of crossover matters... here is the file used for the JubeScala

Thank you so very much for this information and also Islander. You guys are a wealth of information. My system will be better than it would have been thanks to yourselves and all the others I have not mentioned here.

Ashly had an NE4800 with XLR connectors and front panel controls that worked with its Protea PC software tools. That was my "dream" processor as it had better EQ filtering, better processors, better everything really, and I suspect better sound as it cost around $4K. But then the NE line went to all Euro connectors (which I see the iDR8 uses) and network operation...........and the unit I was interested in disappeared late last year in favor of all this Euro networked stuff.

I am happy with what I have but this programmable active system has almost put me out of the hobby entirely. It took a long time to acquire all the requipment but I have everything setup and there is almost nothing to do but listened to music.

Over the weekend last week I took some room measurements of individual horns to balance all my channels. When I compared to what I had 7 months prior the curves were on top of one another..........nothing had changed, nothing to adjust. It's gotten boring. :)

Last Friday "Sat morning" after work I programmed the simulation for the Ashly NE8800 and now I want one. Very very nice!!!! For me the Euro block are a bonus as I will only need 4 XLR plug 2 go into the 2 x350.5 power amps and 2 XLR for the L&R main from the OPPO 95. The other 10 conections are RCA so I can cut RCA 2 RCA leads in half and trim to length.

At the moment I think the NE8800 will suit my application better then the iDR8 so I will use the "still in the box" iDR8 in the job quoted for the World Square system where my damaged jub might go. Thanks for your input

Hate to see one of those beautiful Jubs damaged..!

Just a FYI, maybe you have some form of protection between the LaScala top and the K402 bases otherwise you might want to double check those K402 bases for any screws that might be protruding past the Felt Spacers on the bottom of the bases which could scratch the top of the LaScalas.

Depending on your setup you might want to try another option of turning the LaScala on it's side with the K402 on top which would be bennificial in suppressing some of the side wall resonances that exist in this LaScala design.

Enjoying the pictures and post of your Jub adventures..YesBig Smile

mike tn

Rethinking this again, just do it keeps coming up so, I might just bite the bullet and make some 3/4 ply braces for inside the LaScala bass horns and cut some 3/4 ply sheets to bond to the entire sides of the LaScala and be done with it. I always wanted to do this but was to afraid to scratch them. It won't be a scratch them, it will be an enhance them.

I can make a hat for the 402's and finish the space directly below the 402 over hang with grill cloth. I can use a router to include a slot in the additional sheet of ply fitted to the outside of the LaScala so the grill cloth can be fitted like flyscreens are in their frames for windows and then from the font the additional sheet of ply on the sides will not be seen.

The LaScala will be in matching corners directly above the room and the same corners the jubs are in.

So that is a future project for my (1976) LaScala.

You say 20 steps on the stairs, but until you see them you don't realize how far that is. Stick out tongue

Maby lay a long blanket down and lean the box on it, the top person can pull the blanket up walking backwards to help a little as you push from the bottom ?

My opinion is, as long as you have two strong backs, you can carry them anywhere.

It's not so much that they are heavy but rather, so darn bulky and awkward to hold.

Who came up with this weird shape anyway..... Stick out tongue

Well we reckon we can slide the damage jub down the stairs in the cardboard box, and the 2 of us can get it laying flat into the back of Lukes wagon take it to World Square and then it can ride up the escalators to the bar where it will entertain 100's of people each week, if we get the job.

Fingers crossed.

Ohhh and you guys can all go and visit it when you come to Sydney [;)] [ip] [H]

Yes congratulations, good choice, you will soon hear why.

Will this be the first pair in Australia ? Idea

When you said "you will soon hear why", I know exactly........... what you are talking about and the jub was still in the cardboard box running full-range without the 402. I can hardly wait for the house to be finished. It is going to be so real, I'm so excited.

I have been measuring measure measured and then measured again, lol.

I'm going to hang my Heresy rear surround speakers inverted centre in front of the stairs back to back facing the sides of the room and reflecting from the side walls. The hanging cardboard Tee shows the bottom edge and corners.

The Landing and bottom 5 stairs will be replaced by a 3 corner stair bend then 2 stairs to the floor. The 3 seat lounge will be where the 5 stairs are now. I will build a Tuba THT (36x36x24) to sit on it's side under the 90 degree corner 3 stair bend with the 2 stairs to the floor in front of what is normally the base of the THT. That means the 3rd stair from the floor will be the side of the THT with the 2 other corner stairs on top of the side of the box. 3 stairs are exactly 24inchs high from the floor. The horn mouth will be right next to and just behind the lounge.

post-45280-13819662612368_thumb.jpg

The Jub bass bin is really good but to me it's the 402 horn that is where the magic is, wait till you hear it together. Paradise

I don't have Jub bass bins, I use the MWM's with the 402, I love that horn. Yes

OOOOOOWWWWEEEEE I'm so tempted to be really distracted with what is sitting in those boxes and I have the EQ for the 402's on my LaScala from Coytee so I can 402 myself. But NO I must resist the temptation, ohh but yeah but no but yeah but no but get the house finished first, lol. The 402's have only been out of the boxes 4 times now about an hour in total. They tempt me everytime I walk past. I walk up the stairs when I get home and there they are just sitting there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so I understand.....areyou saying the Jub cost roughly 4000.....is that Each? so 8000 for the pair?

I have many more questions but will just wait to hear back from you first. Either way.....awesome to see someone here have a pair.

Holy cow.....WOW.....I remember looking awhile back and wondering what it would cot to get a 402 here and just stopped looking after guestimating shipping and price of units. But that being said your combo with the 402's to me sounds like a pretty darn good deal.

Wow maybe my dreams are so far away. STill a year or so but I was thinking a LOT more money. I looked at building a Jamboree but with adding the highs the cost just adds up. SO if I cant build something that cost atleast 50% or under I dont mind buying the original. Awesome.

What were the external dimensions of your 402 boxes? ANd how much did they weigh?

I am curious if I can squeeze a pair or 3 total.

• 2 weeks later...

All up for the pair it was $8400.

The shipping costs were miss calculated and the future price will be higher.

The AUS $ was $1.07 - $1.10 against the US at the time and right now it's $0.9451 so it will cost more now.

I went for it Amps and Speakers as I thought the AUD/USD would not last.

You save by not having a Centre Channel and with the 402's I reckon you don't need a centre in a smaller room.

I wanted a minimalist appearance like in a Cinema so the jubs in the corners with only the TV in the centre will be minimal.

All up for the pair it was $8400.

The shipping costs were miss calculated and the future price will be higher.

The AUS $ was $1.07 - $1.10 against the US at the time and right now it's $0.9451 so it will cost more now.

I went for it Amps and Speakers as I thought the AUD/USD would not last.

You save by not having a Centre Channel and with the 402's I reckon you don't need a centre in a smaller room.

I wanted a minimalist appearance like in a Cinema so the jubs in the corners with only the TV in the centre will be minimal.

Jubs and minimal used in the same sentence..... For some reason that cracks me up.... '

Cooool...

Jubs and minimal used in the same sentence..... For some reason that cracks me up.... '

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was even going to add a "hahahahahahahahahaha"

Must be something about great minds, no?

So is this a private joke or can anyone join in, lol,

I always thought the Khorns were minimalist lurking out of the way in the corners that are usually only used for complex things and dust.

How many people are actually going to work out that they are speakers.

A friend of mine thought Khorns were matching cupboards.

I was considering a fine bright red silk like thread mesh 1/4inch squares over the horn mouths with a Top Hat to match the Jub footprint.

I always liked the collar on the Khorns.