Electro Voice: La Scala clones?

n84china

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this question: are these consumer speakers or DIY? How do they sound compared to La Scalas? They're much bigger at 41" x 26" x 24". I emailed the poster and am awaiting a response. He didn't set a price so I'm wondering what a reasonable offer is (depending on what they are, of course).

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2562853134.html

Cheers,

Nate

post-51189-13819661263026_thumb.jpg

Is the seller saying "EV?"

To my knowledge, EV never made an LS clone -- and those of us around here would have picked up on it. The only thing close was the Eliminator II bass bin which was a W type geometry. But the bass bin section in the photo does not have the proportions of the Eliminator.

General impressions from the photo:

That could be a K-400 horn as is used in the LS (and K-Horn). The tweeter cut out looks about correct for a K-77 (Klipsch) horn tweeter which is an EV T-35.

General thoughts:

If someone had an LS, they could add pieces of 1/4 inch ply to the sides (and maybe top) to beef up the sidewalls and then add wood trim to the front surface to hide the sandwich. The picture suggests that but you'd have to investigate.

It is possible to add EV mid driver and woofer to a home built LS cabinet or an LS.

Crossovers? Could be Klipsch or home built, or anything..

How it sounds? If it is a stock LS with some additional lumber it should sound, maybe, like an LS with maybe smoother bass. It is impossible to give any informed approximation based on a picture. Smile.

WMcD

• Moderators

It may be a LaScala fitted with EV parts, and the seller has no idea ?

This is his ad.........

"selling one pair VINTAGE ELECTRO-VOICE they lool like KLIPSCH LACASA but all drive they are ELECTRO-VOICE 15" woofer 24" horn midrang and 6" tweeter excellent condition and sound ,each speaker wieght abount 200 pound ,make me the offer so you can get uot of my living room cabinet are 41high by 26 wide and 24 deep very heavy THANK"

I'm sorry, My mind went off in a direction and I didn't examine the link closely enough.

Of course it is all beside the point now in view of the sale.

The back of the top section does not look correct for an un-modified LS. I think there is another board in the LS. It looks like a good job of woodworking overall.

The mid horn may be a K-400 or a Speakerlab copy. The seller says 24 inch which would match the length of these types. And it would match the 24 inch depth of the cabinet. I'm not aware of any EV horn of that length.

The mid driver could be one of the 18xx. I had something which could have been what is in the picture. It has a 1.5 inch diameter diaphragm and went higher than the others in the family. Maybe it was used in a CW for a while as a fill in.

The crossover in a box makes me think of a SpeakerLab design but memory is dim. Speakerlab at one time had L-Pads for the SK and might, with the box, have been something I saw decades ago in a picture.

The woofer basket reminds me of EVs.

The components alone are pretty valuable. Maybe the buyer is going to make a K-Horn type speaker or a variation on an LS, or even a Cornscala. The components would be a good start for a fan of EV. The guy who made the units was likely a fan too.

WMcD