CS1 vs Drift

Very nice. What order crossover are you considering?

For a 1st order, you dont need an inductor, and start with a 4uf to the tweeter and will need to attenuate 8-10 db.

Dave

I don't put alot of faith in driver break in.

Adding the inductor will only increase the esr if crossing 4K +

If you have a FFT, or RTA you can swap caps, and look for the best response, however the listening test will be the final test.

I have been tweaking the Drift for close to a month now, and still finding small improvements.

Dave

Craig

Sorry for the ignorance. Are you saying they put a 12.5 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter and then use 1.0 mfd cap. If I understand this that would make the impedance 20.5 ohm wright? I should try that out. That looks like 1st order 5500Hz Solen Split. Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest David H

It has been months since I have finished my speackers. I have not had any desire to switch back to my LaScila's. The drifts have the most beautiful midrange. Of course it does help to have a awsome SE EL 34 amp made by Tom http://www.wdox.com/ Brian

The nice amp certainly helps, I am pleased you like your speakers. You did a beautiful job on them.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Dave,

Hoping you and others might revisit this thread on the Drift. I think I was asleep at the while while you were discussing this.

Dave, you mentioned that the speaker sounds very different using the simple drift filter vs the ALK 1200hz ES crossover. I'm imagining that would be because with the simple drift filter consisting of the 4uH capacitor and L-Pad that the woofer is carrying the freight on the sound up until around 4000hz at the upper end of it's range.

Then the Selenium D220Ti would play signal above where the 4uH cap rolls it off. Right?

The Drift crossed at 1200hz with the ALK ES crossover is considerably lower than the other.

I've got a couple of questions about that. Have you found any modifications to improve the basic Drift filter with the cap and L-Pad?

Also, do you have any pics of the ALK ES XO and perhaps a parts list? I'm such a novice at electronics and crossovers, i'm trying to get my mind around what that schematic would look like translated into a real world crossover. I've looked around your site and the forum and haven't found any pics of that crossover. Would you have any other recommendations on that? I like the way you've made the kit available on your website.

post-11993-13819830984002_thumb.jpg

Justin, if you are still tracking this thread. I was curious about what you said regarding the simple filter being ok for 95% of your listening. You mentioned that you had a strong preference for the ALK ES crossover after Dave suggested that you listen to some of your fave CD's.

I was wondering if you could say more about the 95% and your take on the difference the crossovers make.

As I've been contemplating (feel like sort of a neanderthal trying to concentrate trying to get my mind understanding such things) the difference between the crossovers, i've imagined that you hear alot more of the woofer in the simple filter version. Then with the ALK ES you'd hear the Selenium driver going down to 1200hz.

Any thoughts from Justin, Dave or others are appreciated.

Thanks, big time.

I think one downside to the drift was the use of the expensive woofer from eminence. Dave may have found less expensive alternatives?The simple crossover had the heritage sound... some mid bass congestion, but a pleasing sweet sound. ALKs crossover brought a significant degree of clarity and HF extension. I think there was less overlap. I have generally been moving to precise sound speakers. I do love the price point of the simple crossover allowing one to grow into the speaker as cash allows.

I have some crossovers built by Dave, I think design by Al. If I get time this weekend I will pull them out of my drifts and snap a pic. I know there were some changes made, I have to be honest I never gave the drifts a chance for 2 channel. I built them for surround speakers, mounted them and never finished my ht project so they are just hanging on the wall. Maybe I should get them down and compare them to my stock Heresies, I think that would be a fair comparison. Plus get a great feel for the different sound, comparisons, to understand the Heritage feel Justin is speaking of.

Justin, thanks for the compare and contrast. Interesting that the simple crossover sounded more like Heritage.

the idea of starting with the inexpensive filter upon build and then when the economy improves ;-) consider the ES.

also thought Dave's comment about not expecting to do more with that horn than demo. i've been thinking it must do good justice to the driver.

duder1982, yeh. get those rascals off the wall and do some listening. did you build them? any pics of the speaker and crossovers are most appreciated!

I think one downside to the drift was the use of the expensive woofer from eminence.

I wouldn't consider $90 expensive... How much would a pair of the Drift speakers cost? My JBL 4311s cost me $329 each in 1972, which would be over $1800 in todays dollars.

Bruce