Cornscala or klipschorn or La Scala

SonicSeeker

I might have faulty Heresys then. The mids and highs are far less capable than those of my LS.

You may be assuming that the midrange comes primarily from the K-700 or K-400 horns in the La Scala, whereas much of it comes from the bass horn. As I've mentioned in the past, 400 Hz is a full half octave higher than middle C, which is NOT a low-pitched note! The crossover would produce up to another octave above that from the bass horn.

I think the difference you're hearing in the La S is the mid-range from the bass horn.

A major part of that difference is the large size of the mouth that propagates that range, made up of the mouth of the K-400 horn AND the mouth of the bass horn. Beyond that, the latter is made larger by the bass horn sitting on the floor.

Makes sense. :)

For sure, many don't realize how important it is to the sound and musical quality of both the La S and K-horn that they are entirely horn-loaded from top to bottom.

I couldn't agree more. That is also the wonderful thing about a horn loaded sub. My tuba table blends seamlessly with the La Scala speakers so that I can't tell where the La Scala ends and the subwoofer takes over. It works quite well for music and movies; there is quite a lot of low musical content, esp. in newer recordings that the La Scala can't cover, and tons of very low stuff even my K-horns can't play, though the k-horns kick a** for music. [8-|]

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason you all have this debate is that you are all music buffs and recognise PWK caused something exceptional to occur now taking on a life of it's own forever.

All the speakers mentioned are fantastic for their size.

I'm planning to use Heresy as surround with Jubilee as fronts no centre speaker just the TV.

Planning to hang the Heresy inverted centre in front of the stairs back to back facing the sides of the room and reflecting from the side walls. The hanging cardboard Tee shows the bottom edge and corners.

The Landing and bottom 5 stairs will be replaced by a 3 corner stair bend then 2 stairs to the floor. The 3 seat lounge will be where the 5 stairs are now. I will build a THT (36x36x24) to sit on it's side under the 90 degree corner 3 stair bend with the 2 stairs to the floor in front of what is normally the base of the THT. That means the 3rd stair from the floor will be the side of the THT with the 2 other corner stairs on top of the side of the box. 3 stairs are exactly 24inchs high from the floor. The horn mouth will be right next to and just behind the lounge.

Now we have the complete "collection" in this thread with the 6th in the line "Jubilee"

My LaScala will be in my bedroom in the corners directly above the corners the Jubilee are in downstairs.

I'm fortunate to have the 2nd, 4th and 6th of this line of speakers in my collection. The others being Khorn, Cornwall & Belle.

post-45280-13819662604928_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

@Geezerrocket, thank you so much and than you to many others for introducing me to Mr. Crites and Cornscalas which appear to be a fraction of the price of Khorns and do not require me to build a room to accommodate them

After talking with Mr. Crites, I decided to go with the "style D" 2 way. Total outlay with shipping will come in somewhere in the $1500 to $1600 range. This for a baltic/Russian birch ( no mdf ) cabinet complete with cnc motorboard's ( front baffles) , crossovers, drivers etc... When I weighed that vs. $800 to $1000 for a 30 or 40 year old pair of Cornwall's plus $200 to $300 to get them shipped, then whatever upgrades/repairs may be needed, well, it was a no brainer for me. I will however, have to assemble and finish the cabinet's.

In evenness of range and thunderous bass, do you fellows think the Cornscalas are the best option?

Also, which configuration is considered "the best"?

Edited by incurablegeek
  • Like 1

My order

1. Klipschorn

2. Cornscala

3. LaScala 

Klipschorn - all horn with true bass

Cornscala - all the advantages of the Lascala (mids and highs), and deep bass - can be controlled with eq too. 

LaScala - has the same advantages of both (mid and highs) - but none of the advantages - its horn bass, well - produces very little deep bass.