amps rf 7's??

bekim99

hey yall i have a set of 7's just like to see if anyone wants to chime in and express there opinion here. I obviously have a emotive xpa 2 running the 7's i still would like it louder. They get LOUD, but they seem to fall off at a certain point. I was wondering if I got another xpa 2 and bridged em would that help or get a totally different amp setup totally?? Anyone know? Every now and then i like to crank it up especially when theres ufc parties and all. I kinda want people to say dam. I just imagine that old pic of that guy sitting in a chair getting blown away by his 2 speakers thats what I want to have on tap. I want more powerfull sound.

hey yall i have a set of 7's just like to see if anyone wants to chime in and express there opinion here. I obviously have a emotive xpa 2 running the 7's i still would like it louder. They get LOUD, but they seem to fall off at a certain point. I was wondering if I got another xpa 2 and bridged em would that help or get a totally different amp setup totally?? Anyone know? Every now and then i like to crank it up especially when theres ufc parties and all. I kinda want people to say dam. I just imagine that old pic of that guy sitting in a chair getting blown away by his 2 speakers thats what I want to have on tap. I want more powerfull sound.

I am looking at your setup and have 2 questions:

1) What SPL are you talking about achieving and on what material?

2) Are you running 2 RF-5s as a center channel?

I like acdc metallica classic rock rock music. All i want is more powerful sound at high volumes. it seems like when i turn it up max I need to cut the highs on my processors eq all the way down to negative 10. and the mids start t sound muddy and loose there quality. I just hate when they start to fall off. I just want them to keep going in spl and quality. Would another set of 7's be louder with less volume? and just stack them somehow? Or stick to the idea of bigger amp(s)?

The 2 rf5's are my center channel just for my movis ran off a different amp.

I really can't imagine running 2 RF-5s for movies being anything but bad, and insofar as your power requirements for your other speakers it would seem running an EQ program and/or checking results with an SPL meter would be in store...Fwiw, I like to Rock to Multichannel music and a well calibrated system can help you appreciate what the artist intended. My 2 cents.

EDIT: Btw, If you don't have a subwoofer (or two) THAT is what I would get next and would put one of your "center" RF-5s in the back so you would have a 7 Channel Home Theater/Music System

maybe look in to deans mod, if you want to cut the highs a little, seems to get great reviews. I've got an aragon 2005 and I like to listen loud aswell. If I really push them , the can literally push me out of the room or scrambling for the remote.

If you want more I suppose you could look into some pro amps, qsc or crown seem to get good reviews around here.

I like acdc metallica classic rock rock music. All i want is more powerful sound at high volumes. it seems like when i turn it up max I need to cut the highs on my processors eq all the way down to negative 10. and the mids start t sound muddy and loose there quality. I just hate when they start to fall off. I just want them to keep going in spl and quality. Would another set of 7's be louder with less volume? and just stack them somehow? Or stick to the idea of bigger amp(s)?

In most cases when the volume (see note) is turned up and the sound appears to have more high frequency content, the output voltage limit has been reached so that the signal is clipped. Clipped refers to the top of the waveform being chopped off so it is flat instead of rounded, and being flat it contains multiples of the original frequency making up the increase in the high frequencies.

Unless an amplifier with at least 5 times the power is practical I would suggest going to a more efficient speaker system. Anything that doesn't give you at least 10 db more sound output isn't likely to be satisfying.

Some suggestions.

With a very low volume and mostly noise source like between channels on FM put your ear next to each driver on each speaker and make sure they all are still working. If all the tweeters appear bad, have a friend who can still hear listen to them before buying a load of replacements.

Add a good subwoofer and set your speakers to small if your receiver supports that.

Listen to some other "loud" systems and see if you can pin point what you are missing. Loud isn't something the ear is good at detecting. Most people without an outside reference like somebody trying to talk would not be able to tell 100 db from 110 db. If you read the fine print of the old ad with the guy having his hair blown back, what we hear is the rising level of distortion, which is different with a horn type speaker, less progressive so you don't get early hints that the power limit is close.

Note on the volume control.

The volume control is not a power setting, or even a volume setting,
it is a gain setting that decides by what factor an input signal's
voltage is increased, gain = output voltage / input voltage. Amplifiers
are rated in watts, but in actual practice have two limits, a maximum
output voltage, and a more complex limit on output current. The volume control has a VERY large range to allow playback from a variety of sources, but in general with a typical input signal something less than 1/3 to 1/2 of its range will be full power.