New to the forums. Speaker choice options.

vw_calvin

Hey guys!

I've been trolling the forum for a couple weeks now, finally decided to get an account. I work in Home Theatre at Futureshop (hate on futureshop all you want, it's an awesome place to work!). Working on building up an awesome system as money rolls in, which is somewhat slow... 20 year student (taking the semester off tho).

Thus far I've got (all incredibly dirty deals):

-Panasonic TCP-58VT25 for $1200

-Klipsch RF-82s

-Harman Kardon AVR-354 for $85 (it was an open box, missing a bunch of stuff from 2 years ago we found)

-Another HK AVR-354 (coworker had on that the HDMI out failed, so he sold me it with all the extra accessories for $50)

-Wii/PS3/Xbox360/Apple Airport Express ect.

The bad:

-Random Sound Dynamics centre channel my parents had kicking around in my old house (sound like garbage)

-Some old Technics towers for rears (room mates)

-Fidek 12" 100W garbage sub my room mate had

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I would highly prefer buying from Futureshop, cause I get Cost+5% or stupid below cost deals if it's a demo or something weird.

So for centre I plan to get a RC-62 for my centre channel.

Unfortunately we don't carry the 64 :( and I don't wanna pay $1300 or whatever it costs other places.

~Opinions on Martin Logan Depth i sub ?

I was originally looking at two 12" Velodyne DLS-4000R (or maybe even the 15's). However my boss offered me a insane deal on a Martin Logan Depth i.... Regularly a $2700 sub for $500!!!! One of the speakers grills are broken (I'll phone ML and they'll ship me a new one I believe) and the feet are all stripped out on the bottom. This sub would be less than the two Velodynes. What's you opinion on this sub? Movie watching vs music is probably 70/30, but should settle down to 50/50 once the excitement wears down on the TV. For that price it's basically a no brainer, but I wanted to get a second "more-educated" opinion, cause I'm probably the most knowledgeable HT salesman in the department, yet I'm quite new to (imo) high end setups.

~Opinions RS-42 vs RB-61

Second question. Rears.... At my current place I have room for 2 more RF-82's, however I don't think it's very ideal, cause I'm still young and move around a fair bit, so the next place might not have room. So! At futureshop, I've got the option of either RS-42's or RB-61's. I like the idea of dipoles, however having klipsch recommend RS-62's which futureshop doesn't carry them or the RS-52's I tend to think of the RB-61 being better (driver size wise)

Thanks,

Calvin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi calvin,

The RC-62 is to the best of my knowledge, the correct match for your RF-82s. The RC-64/II was made for the RF-83 and RF-7II.

IMO a ML Depth for $500 would be pretty hard to pass up. Very good sub at an insane price.

On the surrounds, can you demo both?

Finally for the paragraph situation, the "p" and "/p" html tags might be of use to you.

Welcome to the forum!

I can't speak directly to subs as I have a limited knowledge, but the RC-62 is a very good center and will work well with the RF-82. If you are moving around a lot and the thought of constantly moving towers is worrisome, the RF-62s are quite manageable, but bookshelves might be easier. A pair of RB-61s or RS-41s should provide all the surround duty you need. I prefer the bipole speakers, but the bookshelves will be more flexible in large variety of spaces and don't need to be wall-mounted so I wouldn't hesitate to go that way if I were in your position.

Hi calvin,

The RC-62 is to the best of my knowledge, the correct match for your RF-82s. The RC-64/II was made for the RF-83 and RF-7II.

IMO a ML Depth for $500 would be pretty hard to pass up. Very good sub at an insane price.

On the surrounds, can you demo both?

Finally for the paragraph situation, the "p" and "/p" html tags might be of use to you.

The RC 62 or Rc-62II do mach up great with the RF-82II but so does the RC-64II....I like it much better because of the more dynamic range and detail...but this may mach up with mine better since I do have 4 RF-82II in my front soundstage. I did have the RC-62II and had no complaints but the RC-64II is much better and is VERY wise to sink a good amount of your money into your center since it one of the most important speakers IMHO.

Can you do anothr RF-82 for the center channel? Maybe you can find yourself a good deal on a projector and screen, which will make you the king of entertainment on campus.

As far as surrounds, I would base it on the coverage angles you need. So if you're far enough away that the 90x60 of the RB-61 would cover all your listening spots, then I would go that route. If the speaker is close and you need a really wide coverage, then I'd go with the RS-42.

Yeesh! A 58vt25 isn't enough? Lol

I've got one of these stands, with a hybrid stand with the tv about 9" above the top

Posted Image

so I rf82 center wouldn't work... I already knew a rc62 was the right center, I was just pouting about how we don't carry the rc64. And I'm not going to pay $1000 more buying it else where.....

So ya, I was leaning towards the rb-61ii's cause they've got bigger drivers, but ya there won't be a ton of space between the outside person and the couch, so prob the rs-42ii's...

But no opinions on the sub? That's what I'm most curious about...

Do you think the Martin Logan will keep up with your mains? Three 8" woofers is about the same radiating area as a single 12" driver. No chance for 18" or 21" drivers in your setup? [;)]

Btw, I moved every year in college and had about 60cu ft worth of speakage that I lugged around...it honestly wasn't that bad, but then I lucked out with apartments that had enough room for it all.

And no, that little TV isn't enough [6][;)]

The three 8" should be close to a single 14", so roughly a 15.....

This is basically what I have to pick from for subs... So noooo :P No 18s, and besides, there will be a fair bit of music out of these too so I don't want something super slow.

Loving the TV tho... Just discovered last night, after playing for 1.5 hours that I can play Crysis 2 in 3D off my xbox :D I've got motor storm for ps3 in 3d, but shooting games are more fun in 3D imo.

Yeesh! A 58vt25 isn't enough? Lol

I've got one of these stands, with a hybrid stand with the tv about 9" above the top
240-8788_siii.jpg
so I rf82 center wouldn't work... I already knew a rc62 was the right center, I was just pouting about how we don't carry the rc64. And I'm not going to pay $1000 more buying it else where.....

So ya, I was leaning towards the rb-61ii's cause they've got bigger drivers, but ya there won't be a ton of space between the outside person and the couch, so prob the rs-42ii's...

But no opinions on the sub? That's what I'm most curious about...

Hey man, you work at a Futureshop, or whatever (Canadian equivalent to Best Buy Magnolia is what I gathered). Get out there on the sales floor and spend your whole day recreating the EXACT systems you are considering. Show it off to customers, listen with them. Switch up the sub and surrounds and ask their opinion. You'll have a great day at work, impress your boss with your initiative, possibly make a sale or two, but best of all, you'll KNOW that whatever you decide, you got a bad a$$ set-up!

Fffff!!! The sub is messed :'( it claps during the real heavy low stuff... Calibrated the system, boosted the sub level by 1-3 compared to the autocalibration for movie, and now during star wars the real deep stuff in a sense "hyper ventilates" even though this sealed.

now. I'm looking at Velodynes.... The 12" DLS-4000R or 15" DLS-5000R. I'll end up with two of them, I like bass and LFE (maybe I should get some buttkickers ;) )

What do you guys think as far 12" vs 15"?? The 12 is is rated down to 25hz and the 15 down to 23... But I'm thinking the 15" would be 'slow', for music n stuff.

I'll double check prices, but I think I get the 12" for around $300 and the 15" for around $430.... If someone could chime in right away that would be awesome, because I'll be exchanging the stuff tomorrow probably.

but I might change my mind and get the RC-62 this paycheck cause my center is so pinner!

Calvin,

I'm throwing a curve at you but the Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature in the following link will rock that room of yours. It is musical and is potent down to 20Hz. It has (1) 10 inch active woofer and (1) 10 inch passive woofer with a 2700w amplifier. It is crazy powerful. I had one and sold it to another forum member(CHASLS2) and he is running it with his RF-7 setup in a room about the size of yours. I only sold it because I had just picked up a pair of Paradigm Servo 15a's and it was too much. Seller is in Seattle, just a ferry away.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1320693881&/Sunfire-TrueSub-Signature-subw

Bill