RF83 driver blown with XPA5

madfusker

Good grief...what the heck is going on with Klipsch.

Still curious how an XPA-5 could have overblow that driver. I recently picked up an XPA-5 for the front 3 and two side surrounds. All I can say is wow. What a heck of an amp.

Hopefully the RS-52s are treating you good. [:D]

RS-52's are great! I love my XPA-5 too and is certainly a great quality amp. I am only so so happy with my UMC1 though. It sounds great, but really does still have a lot of bugs, esp with HDMI.

So I called Klipsch and they told me they can't control what they get from the manufacturer. Eh, yes you can, it's called REJECT bad product. I told him that I paid new price and expected to get a new woofer. Folks, it's seriously that same RB81 in that picture above with a RF83 stamp on it (smaller magnet and all like you see above). What kills me is the magnet has chips out of it all over and there is epoxy spilled all over the magnet too. It looks like it was beat to death in a rock tumbler (though the front is perfect)! The Klipsch tech told me it meets specs and I told him I still wasn't happy it didn't match my other woofers AND was far from new. He grumbled and went ahead and processed an order for another one. I have to give it to them for trying to make it right and not fighting me too much on it. I guess we'll see if I actually get a new one in the mail this time instead of a beat-up refirb though. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators

sore ears

I don't want to sound like your Dad ( or whoever ) but there is no such thing as sore ears.

When you have that feeling it's damage that is not reversible, every time you do that you lose a little hearing. It's true I know for sure positively, at 54 I now wish I would have not done those things when younger and I am paying for it now. [:$]

Sorry but I would hate to have anyone not be able to enjoy music later. I did it like most people, thinking it's not a big deal, well later on it is a big deal.

Well, I got the new one (number 3) and it's EXACTLY like the previous one... What to do?? I put it in and it drives the same. Seems OK. I kinda feel shafted a little though. If I ever sell these speakers the buyer will be able to easily see that 1 out of 6 is obviously different.

Klipsch support doesn't read any of these forums and doesn't really care anyway. I guess I just go with it.

Well....I for two am not feeling too good about a anything other than a rf83 driver that is exactly like the original.If you bought these new I would not accept anything but an exact replacement, if you bought used you have less to stand on, hope it works for ya.

Was the driver actually blown or just the cone cracked? When a speaker is blown (burned voice coil) its usually not from too much power. It's unclean power that blows speakers. When the amp starts to clip, or possibly distortion from your pre. I know myself and others have cranked these speakers with more power and they just keep performing until you can't take being in the room. Do the original driver you replaced still work, but are just cracked? I'd love to see a picture of that.

W27,

I believe the XP5 is a very clean amp and dont suspect it at all. Check out the picture in the first post here:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/154509.aspx?PageIndex=1

That picture is my speaker however the crack is only half as long. Same position exactly... It still operated cracked and the only reason I knew it cracked is because I could hear the tin putting off a vibrating tinny sound. When I took my cover off I saw the crack. So I guess it's not "blown", just cracked out. I put the smaller magnet RF83 to the test and it seems to perform just fine. I'm just happy it all works again. I got my RF83's used for $900 mint! so I can't complain too much.

Regarding the other thread posted above: I haven't bridged of driven mine to insane levels and I believe it must have just been a weak point in that driver. I have pushed my speakers quite a bit though and probably should just get a second sub. Black Eye'd Peas pump a lot of base and with the speakers set on FULL and the EQ adjusted for slighly more base, it will make the RF83's really thump and sing at even moderate to high volumes. I love em!

sore ears

I don't want to sound like your Dad ( or whoever ) but there is no such thing as sore ears. Idea

When you have that feeling it's damage that is not reversible, every time you do that you lose a little hearing. It's true I know for sure positively, at 54 I now wish I would have not done those things when younger and I am paying for it now. Embarrassed

Sorry but I would hate to have anyone not be able to enjoy music later. I did it like most people, thinking it's not a big deal, well later on it is a big deal.

But you're talking weed eaters, lawmowers, chainsaws and back-hoes... [;)]

Bruce