cornwalls and formica...

Schu

I wanted to ask about the all to frequent covering of cornwalls, seemingly being covered in Formica... was this an issue that was prevalent/popular back in the 1970's(1962 here), or did Klipsch actually provide Formica covered heritage series speakers back then?

the reason I ask is, I have seen others with Formica covered cornwalls, and I also have a single set of cornwalls that have been covered in Formica... in what appears to be a mock Brazilian rosewood. it's very very well done and even the face is nicely mitered and covered completely, and could fool an eye(if you were a fool that is), but was this something that was popluar to do back then on the aftermarket?

I've seen how much work it would take to restore the speakers, for now I think I will just leave them as is.

I don't know why, but i felt compelled to reply... [:o]

As far as I know, plastic laminate (formica, arborite, etc...) was never offered from the factory... but Klipsch did encourage it's buyers to finish and customize their own speakers by offering their non-finished decorator series.

Unfortunately for many of these D series speakers... plastic laminate became quite popular in the 1950s all the way into the 1970s... durable and indestructible... it has time to become kitsch long before wearing out...

Hope you enjoy you Kitsch Klipsch all the same...
ROb

I'll add to Brother Formica's comment that Formica was never used by the Klipsch factory, from what I've seen. PWK was pretty much into beautiful veneer and his choice is the enduring hallmark of his products.

From memory, in the late 60's, the use of Formica came to the fore in the kitchen industry and became available to the DIY clan. A buddy of mine built very beautiful consoles for ham radio equipment using wood grain Formica brand laminate.

I'd like to point out that in those days we didn't have the pre-prepared veneer for DIY's like we do today; as far as I know. Therefore Formica was a good choice

WMcD.

• Moderators

Formica knows Formica

The only big difference in formica and veneer is veneer is not plastic, it would probably take the same time to install. It is cheaper than veneer and much tougher and water proof (from drinks) for places like a bar.