What to do with 1st gen Heresy?

thedanimal

Hi all!

I need to preface that I'm completely green and really need help. I bought some 1980 HBR speaks from the original owner and they sound great through my old solid state reciever but I'd like to know thoughts around building a system around these. I listen to records and radio and would like to get input on what would be a good receiver to mate these to - tube I suspect - under 500 would be optimal. Any general direction around how to build a system around these 2 magnificent speakers would be greatly appreciated. I listen to old country, classic rock, blues, that kind of thing. Thanks all glad to read the great threads y'all have here!

Welcome to the Forum.

Unless you have already done so, you may want to replace the capacitors in the crossovers in the Heresy's; you can do that yourself for about $50. That will get the speaker maintenance taken care of. As far as an amp goes, a tube pre-amp and a power amp can be expensive, far above your $500 budget. You may want to look at another solid state amp, or have your current one serviced, cleaned, adjusted, etc.

A system will depend on the size of the room, and your budget. Sound is like race cars..... the old saying comes to mind, "Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?".

If you are looking for a larger system, built around the Heritage series, a possible idea would be to find a pair of Cornwalls, and use the Heresy's as the "B" pair.

Lotta' possibilities for you.

Good luck, and stay with us on the Forum.

[H]

Welcome to the Forum.

Unless you have already done so, you may want to replace the capacitors in the crossovers in the Heresy's; you can do that yourself for about $50. That will get the speaker maintenance taken care of. As far as an amp goes, a tube pre-amp and a power amp can be expensive, far above your $500 budget. You may want to look at another solid state amp, or have your current one serviced, cleaned, adjusted, etc.

A system will depend on the size of the room, and your budget. Sound is like race cars..... the old saying comes to mind, "Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?".

If you are looking for a larger system, built around the Heritage series, a possible idea would be to find a pair of Cornwalls, and use the Heresy's as the "B" pair.

Lotta' possibilities for you.

Good luck, and stay with us on the Forum.

Cool

What capacitors are the "best" for the replacement?

What is the specification on the Capacitors?

What pitfalls are there in doing this yourself?

[:)]

post-45280-1381966319021_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info!

I did a little research on the boards and the capacitor replacement sounds like a quick/clean way to improve the sound quality for minimal investment. So disregarding my 500 budget, what basics should I be looking for in a stereo and pre-amp? I have an old Yamaha 600 series that died right before I got these so I'm using a Yamaha R-30 that I found on the side of the road for now.

I have these in my front room and think it's all I can swing without pissing off my neighbors :)