KPT-904 vs Jubilee with same top thoughts

chrapladm

I am not fortunate enough to have heard many of the speakers I have dreamed of in the Klipsch. I have learned to be a DIY guy in speakers because I cant afford them at retail. SO I have aquired a few plans over the years for some builds but have never gotten around to building them because of their size(Jamboree).

That being said I have always wondered about the big difference's between the KPT-904 and Jubilee differences from those who have heard them.

t450_cb810ffcbdaf8633728c2f6fc47af9f1.jpt450_2d8b8422fcc506a73158d05eabca0476.jp

I know the 904 would have plenty of tactful bass for my wants but thats only because I have heard similar ported cabinets designs and know I would be happy. But the Jub I haven't a clue. I know the 510, I think its called, vs 402 is a big difference but I am not sure I could afford the 402. And frankly the wifey would rather have 510. Well she would rather I have a small pair of Bose speakers but thats another storey.

So that being said what are peoples opinions on the big differences between these models other than their shapes and sizes?

Thanks for any ones opinions and sorry if I made any spelling errors.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Jubilee smokes the 904 hands down. I was lucky enough to hear them in an A-B comparison. Better bass and more efficiency are the biggest differences. It takes the 415 bass cabinet as found in the KPT-942-4-T to keep up. It would be hard to pick a favorite between those two.

Try for the 402 horn, but the 510 sounds great too.

Wow I never realized the Jub would do THAT much more bass. I have always liked horns but they do get quite large at times. Which for me is not a good thing because I have limited space. I plan on building a dedicated HT room but that will be about 3 years from now.

That being said if I build another speaker for the L/R it will be what goes into the dedictaed room. No more building something to get by. I have done that too many times and that is not very cost effective.

Cant believe the 942-4 it takes to keep up. I know horns are efficient and all but its still amazing to read that it would take something like that to keep up or compare. WOW.

What are the 12's used in the Jubilee?

What is the going price for the 510 vs 402?

I know things are different when I add in the shipping but I figured I could get a ball park idea again to clarify.

And how are people connecting these Jubilee's with common HT AVR's?

As far as pricing, you will be in the 1K area for a K402, and several hundred less for the 510. The jubilee uses the same woofer as a KLF-30 with an extra gasket on the front since it is front mounted. You can use the jubilee with an receiver if you go with a passive crossover. If you get a more sophisticated unit it may be worth your while to do the biamp with digital crossover/ delay thing.

WOW I could have sworn that the 402 was around 2500. Man I dont know where I have been. I guess I need to start at least saving for the 402

.Wait did you mean around 1K for one?

I think I would go with the Behringer DCX until I could build a ALK design or something that is worthy of such a speaker. I cant remember who had the huge passive arts of work on his wall but those were awesome. I think he had all jubilee's for 5 channels or maybe not. SO many speakers and so many users here I get confused.

What kind of power is everyonbe putting to the bass bin? 100 watts?

I guess if I do go down this route I am going to have to take my sweet time and build some amps. Pass clone, 3886 or something.

I know if I had the Jubs in my room now I would not have any room for my subs.:(

I could probably live with that but I just hate waiting for things. And for me everything takes years.

I love to have shock and awe in my HT experience but never thought of ever having more than a few twelves or 15's per speaker. But having four 15's in the left and right would be ...........maybe overkill for me. Or maybe perfect for me. Dont know until you hear it.

How low does the 402 like to be crossed over?

I love to have shock and awe in my HT experience but never thought of ever having more than a few twelves or 15's per speaker. But having four 15's in the left and right would be ...........maybe overkill for me. Or maybe perfect for me. Dont know until you hear it.

How low does the 402 like to be crossed over?

400-550 is where most cross it. Those 4 15's are whicked. The really fun Klipsch stuff is in the cinema line. If your going to have a home theater why not go pro.... Yeah your right it is probably overkilll......... overkill in style.

SO what amps are people using with their bass bins?

I saw a few members use the Crown D45 for the 402 which I would assume is enough for HT and music but dont know the 402's exact sensitivity.

Seems like my max wattage would be 150 watts for the bass bin and 25 or so watts for the highs would be nice. I think.

You'll want equal power for the LF and HF, and ideally with the same amp since it makes the configuration way easier and has some voicing advantages too. The reason for the quad 15 is polar response and lower distortion - the insane output ability is an unnecessary side effect (well for most people anyway).

For most people, 30-50W should be fine, but if you're doing a lot of movies then I'd look at more along the lines of 100 to 150W.

I am not fortunate enough to have heard many of the speakers I have dreamed of in the Klipsch. I have learned to be a DIY guy in speakers because I cant afford them at retail. SO I have aquired a few plans over the years for some builds but have never gotten around to building them because of their size(Jamboree).

That being said I have always wondered about the big difference's between the KPT-904 and Jubilee differences from those who have heard them.

t450_cb810ffcbdaf8633728c2f6fc47af9f1.jpt450_2d8b8422fcc506a73158d05eabca0476.jp

I know the 904 would have plenty of tactful bass for my wants but thats only because I have heard similar ported cabinets designs and know I would be happy. But the Jub I haven't a clue. I know the 510, I think its called, vs 402 is a big difference but I am not sure I could afford the 402. And frankly the wifey would rather have 510. Well she would rather I have a small pair of Bose speakers but thats another storey.

So that being said what are peoples opinions on the big differences between these models other than their shapes and sizes?

Thanks for any ones opinions and sorry if I made any spelling errors

I had the oppertunity to listen to the 904, Jub, and the 415 bins in the same day. All with K402 atop.

Just IMHO the DIY twin 15" driver Cornscala DBB bass bin is a much better sounding LF unit than the 904. I can't say why,but only what my ear told me. The cabinet volume is the same. Could be a difference in port size or the drivers wired in parallel vs series. Just don't know. ?????

The sweet Jub LF is just beautiful and is a given.

That said, the 415 bin is a horse of a different color. It forms a very nice bubble of sound with the K402. The best mate with K402 that I have listened to so far. (other than the Jub bin) The 415 has a quility that none of the others exhibit. It has the LF reflex "slam factor". In your face, a boot in the chest. Minimal woofer excursions. 107db efficient as I recall.

Only my observations and for what they are worth..Hope they help.

tc

Thanks DrWho. When only needing 100-150 what are most using for amps?

I could get that amount from a simple 2 channel proaudio amp, like a QSC DCA amp or other. I could use an AVR with its internal power but couldn't biamp I dont think. And I know many horn lovers have used tubes, class A/AB/B and others for higher quality power. SO didn't know if one seemed better than theother or not.

I plan to slowly collect everything I will need for my HT room. The QSC DCA's seemed nice and had the lowest THD of their amps, I think. And others are saying that some dont like Class D amps for whatever reason.

I thought if building my own monoblocks but sometimes that costs more than what I can buy one for. Just trying to have the best I can get within my budget.

That 415 .....is very tempting. After getting the quote from the local dealer here the 415 is definitely cheaper. But at times I wouldn't mind just building something like this.

Funny thing is when I asked my wifey and son about which speaker they like better, look wise, they both liked the 942-4. LOL

The Krix factory is down the road from me and amazing enough if I ordered a bass bin from them with four 15's it would cost me more than the completed pair of 942-4 from Klipsch with the 402's and the Krix's bins are made out of MDF. I would assume the bass bins from Klipsch are made out of 3/4 BB or something like that.

After figuring how much room I will have in the planned HT I would have wall to wall of speakers.

The center would have to be a LS bass bin with a 402 on top. Not sure how that would sound but as long as the sound/timbre is the same or close then it should be fine.

The center would have to be a LS bass bin with a 402 on top. Not sure how that would sound but as long as the sound/timbre is the same or close then it should be fine.

It's been done. Picture taken from bhendrix's setup. Sound is said to be darn good. Not quite up to full jub-status on the bass portion but excellent nonetheless.

post-52175-13819663337154_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Dandoyen. I wonder how his bass response was from seat to seat with just one sub? I thought he would have used 2 L/R.

Does anyone know at the angle those Jubs are in how far do they come out and what width are they taking up L to R?

That sub is HUGE!! Reminds me of my old THT Lp

Thanks Coytee. I think its your website,myjubs.com, that has me wanting the bigger style of pro cinema speakers. That and I only want to buy once.

How far apart do the 942-4'z need to be away from one another? Or maybe how far apart should the 402's be away from one another for L/R/C seperation?

And how close can you sit to the 942-4 or jubilee and still feel like your hearing one speaker verse two or 4 different noises?

For the record, that's Rigma's, not mine [:D]

Do you ever get to Sydney? http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/152330.aspx?PageIndex=1

You could probably hear Rockets once he's got them set up.

All that aside... to your question

that has me wanting the bigger style of pro cinema speakers

My experience has been, bigger is better. Simple as that. This is of course, with regard to sound alone. Space/cost/wife.... those are other issues.

How far apart do the 942-4'z need to be away from one another?

I would think the room would influence that answer. If that's correct, then I've never had mine in any type of treated room. Right now, I've got them in this little apartment which is configured differently than the house I had them in.

The house was an open floor plan and the specific room only had 3 main walls. The 4th (behind listening position) wall was set back and had openings to the foyer on one side and opening to dining room on other side.

Here in this apartment, I'm more in a traditional box. Room is rectangular. Iv'e noticed some differences in the sound. Truth be told, right now, I'm more intrigued on what I'm hearing in this apartment than I heard in my house. Just last night I was watching a move and at the same time, had the door to the apartment slightly ajar to let fresh air flow in. (opens into same space that the speakers are in)

During the movie I had more than one occasion where I had a mild startle, thinking someone had walked up to the door and either said something, banged something....or otherwise, did something to create a noise about 45 degrees from my listening position. This put that sound coming right out of the wall and directly at me.

I then realized it was the movie and the speakers. The sound is bouncing around in here differently than it did in my house. Thus far, it's a pleasant experience.

I'm only using the two speakers. I have no center channel. The room is JUST barely wide enough to allow a Jubilee in each front corner and my 52" tv right between them. The fit is perfect (meaning edge to edge) I have a better center channel presentation than I did in my house and I get some interesting sounds from other locations (perhaps not where they are intended with the bouncing walls, but for a movie it was interesting anyway)

And how close can you sit to the 942-4 or jubilee and still feel like your hearing one speaker verse two or 4 different noises?

This one is the one that interests me the most.

When I had them in the house, I would quite often, sit on the floor between them and use my pc (which was plugged into the 52" tv)

This put the speakers themselves about 5-6 feet away from me. At this distance, I could not make much of a distinction with the two horns. Maybe someone else could but sitting this far from them, had them sounding as 'point source' to me as they do when I'm sitting 15' away.

My Khorns never gelled this close to the speakers. My understanding is, it's because we're mixing 3 drivers on the Khorns verses 2 drivers on the 2-way speaker (what ever the bass bin being used)

I too heard those other bass bin configurations and was impressed with them. I had the same conclusions the others have already talked about.

If you can go 2-way and perhaps add in some signal alignment as well (which I understand isn't as significant as going to a 2-way), you'll be setting yourself up for the most dynamic, coherent sounding system.

Get on the next train, bus, flight or camel (Kangaroo??) to Sydney & have a listen. Once you hear for yourself, the answer will be crystal clear for you.

By the way, does your toilet swirl clockwise or counter clockwise?

[:D]