SACD Recommendations

onawav

Just bought my first SACD (Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon) only to find out that PS3 and XBox 360 aren't compatible =^( I guess I should have not been lazy and looked it up before I ordered the thing...I wonder if my DVD player in my car does...hrrmmmm.

Just bought my first SACD (Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon) only to find out that PS3 and XBox 360 aren't compatible...

If you own a product it's generally a good idea to understand it's capability.

I own an older PS3 (the non-slim design) that was the first model not to play SACDs and DVD-As. I bought an inexpensive Oppo DVD player (~$190) that I use for SACD, DVD-A, and HDCD disk types and it works very well. It also acts as a backup to the PS3 in case the PS3 should decide to take a holiday.

I wouldn't take otherwise negative comments made here seriously. I've had to find out certain things the hard way myself, but it's nice when I don't have to learn from the school of hard knocks, though. That's one reason why I ask questions in this forum.

Chris

I was not saying all ps3 fat, only that ps3 fat were the only ones that could, I think the first two gen? No ps3 has ever played a factory dvd-a hi rez 5.1 track that I know of.l do know if I own one, I know it's major capabilities.Operation is one thing, capability is why one buys something.

I consider the Oppo a very good idea to play multi formats.

Old ps3 fat does do sacd, newer do not.If you own a product it's generally a good idea to understand it's capability.

I never bought the PS3 with the thought that I would be playing SACDs in the first place. I've never really looked at that format since there is so little out there. Only reason I looked was because of this thread. I'm just glad I only bought one CD for $15, so I'm not at a huge loss anyways. No big deal.

If I were to get into Multichannel music right now I would definitely look for a universal player and not one that only plays SACDs...I have followed several threads that compare the high res, multichannel formats and my opinion is to look for the album or artist and not limit yourself to one format.

• 2 months later...