The right speakers for the system

Mattax

Hi Everybody,

I just got a deal on two RF-82's and a RC-6. They are great sounding speakers. My question is, do I get RS-52's over RS-42's for my surround and RB-61's over RB-81's for the rear surround? I know that the larger speakers are reccomended for my front system but will their smaller counterparts still sound ok in my room? I'll upload some room dimentions when I get home.

Mattax,

Welcome to the forum.

The RF-82/RC-62 combo is a great setup. What size is your room? Either the RS-52's or RS-42's will work but the 52's will give you a fuller sound. I don't think for rear surrounds that the RB-81's are necessary but if you can afford them, they will also offer a fuller sound to your setup. If it were me, I would choose the RS-52's and RB-61's to help keep the cost down while still providing impact. I would go larger on the sides before going larger at the rear because of the lack of content going to rear surrounds.

Bill

Hi, the RS 42's should be good since they do not have to be as strong as the speakerss in the front sound stage. The RS 52's will be slightly fuller but, the contrast between the front stage and the surrounds may be better with the 42's. This may give better spatial imageing. A good HT is about balance and not just volume. A good avr goes along way in the options and performance in a home theater. The avr will bring balance and flexability to your system with fine tweeks that make up for room imperfections and the difference in speakers. I have a 20x18 foot room and really like my HT. I use it 85% for moives.

Klipsch VS 14's Front Height

Klipsch VS 14's R/L surronds near ceiling 10 ftl high

Klipsch VB 15's Surround Back

Klipsch SW

Samsung 3D Plasma TV

• Moderators

I wouldn't go to rear surrounds at all if I didn't have a substantial receiver or some sort of external amplification for my front soundstage.

You make a good point here. I know when I added back surrounds to my system, I had to turn the volume up considerably to get close to the same volume with 5 speakers and just somehow wasn't satisfied with the sound.

I later found out that my 130w x 7 in bench testing was more like 55w x 7. After finding that out, it all made sense what I was hearing and why I wasn't very satisfied with it. I have sense gone back to 5.1 and love it. If you did that, you would have enough money to get the RS-62's and would definitely make a killer system.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It seems like most people agree that the RB-61 are decent enough for rear surround so I'll go for those. It seems like the main surrounds I could go either way. Does it make a difference if I can get the RS-42's for under $400 with tax? I have a hard time even finding Klipsch dealers here in Vancouver but our Futureshops (Best Buy) are having a sale on the 42's.

Does it make a difference if I can get the RS-42's for under $400 with tax? I have a hard time even finding Klipsch dealers here in Vancouver but our Futureshops (Best Buy) are having a sale on the 42's.

If still available, these are worth a shot.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/ele/2592055924.html

Bill

I just spoke with the guy I've been dealing with at Futureshop and he's going to give me a discount price on 2 floor model RS-42'. I'm obviously going to inspect them first. I figure this way I can have some surrounds on the cheap and upgrade down the line when I see a pair of RS-52's on sale. Then I'll ask for the RB-61's for Christmas.