Need Harman Kardon Recommendations to replace my Yamaha RX-V1800

Youthman

• Moderators

I'm contemplating selling my Yamaha RX-V1800 and purchasing a Harman Kardon. I love everything about the Yamaha except 2ch listening. To me, the HK just sounds better for 2ch listening.

I've previously owned an older AVR55 and today I purchased an AVR70 for my office (thus the reason for my contemplation).

I need some recommendations for a Harman Kardon receiver for HT that meets the following criteria:

Can be 5.1 or 7.1 (I have no plans to add Back Surrounds)
Supports HD Audio Formats (DTS-Master, Dolby TrueHD etc) since my PS3 does not bitstream.
HDMI 1.3 or later since I have a 30' HDMI cable running to my projector.
Has RCA Preouts (to connect to my Parasound amp)

Other than that, I don't "need" any other features like Air Play, Sirrus etc.

Any models you would recommend?
Any firsthand experience with those models?
Are the newer models as good sounding as the older models I have used?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

After looking up specs on about 15 different models that are being sold locally on CL, only a few support HDMI and almost all of them do not support the new HD Audio formats.

The ONLY one that I found that I "thought" met my criteria is an AVR2600 with remote for $150.

AVR2600 Details:
7.1 channles
65w x 7
4 HDMI Inputs
HDMI Switching
HDMI™ v.1.4a with 3D (via firmware download).; full A/V processing & Repeater
Built-in Decoders DTS, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS-HD High Resolution,
DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital
Plus, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby TrueHD

After typing all of the above, I notice it only has preouts for the sub. ARGHHHHH!

For $150, that is an awesome price for what seems like a pretty current receiver. But it doesn't do me any good without preouts. Man that stinks royally. LOL

• Moderators

I'm guessing there isn't an few year old model HK that supports all of that.

Looking on their current models, the only model that has preouts is the AVR3600. Strangly enough, the more expensive AVR3650 does NOT have preouts. Go figure.

Are there any older 1-2yr models that meet my criteria that I should be looking at?

• Moderators

Ok, last post...it's almost 2am and I really need to get to bed.

Looking around online, Newegg has the cheapest price at $499 including shipping!

I'll await some input from you guys tomorrow before puting my Yamaha up for sale. :)

I'm contemplating selling my Yamaha RX-V1800 and purchasing a Harman Kardon. I love everything about the Yamaha except 2ch listening. To me, the HK just sounds better for 2ch listening.

Refer to my reply to your other thread where again you need to "walk over to the other side of the street" to read it.[:P]

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/154231.aspx

No you don't, here it is:

"Keep your Yamaha for HT, it does offer a somewhat "brighter" sound(that you like) that sounds better for HT(to me).

Save your coins, sell some other gear, and get this Parasound preamp with HT bypass mode.

http://www.parasound.com/nc/2100.php

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1323750992&/Parasound-New-Classic-2100-

It matches your Parasound amp."

2100_front_577.jpg

2100_rear_577.jpg

Bill

I have a 354, about $1k new $300 used it does most everything except networking but I just run hdmi cable from computer so no big deal.The only thing is when you change inputs it will flash on/off screen once or twice but then it's good.I had a Yamaha and Marantz that worked great and sounded like crap, I'm happy to have my HK back in.The 7550hd was on a super deal a few months ago, about $700, I had just bought a piece of crap so I did not take advantage, I still suffer...but the 354 keeps me listening.

• Moderators

You mean I just walked all that way for nothing! I know I need to exercise more but that should be of my own free will, not you forcing me to. LOL

I think the ability to encorporate it into an existing system to control the 2ch listening is quite interesting. Any thoughts on this idea? My only concern is I've never heard that preamp to know what it sounds like. I have another parasound preamp that I'm using in my son's room. It's a much older unit. I wonder if it would be a similar

• Moderators

Fish, that's exactly the info I'm looking for.

So far, if I want to go with HK, there are the following options:

AVR 354 - $300 (meets my requirements)

AVR 3600 - $499 (adds HDMI 1.4a, full upscaling from any analog source to 1080p, 7.1 multi-channel inputs, High Resolution GUI,)

AVR 75540HD $950 (HDMI 1.4a) - Above what I'm willing to spend

The AVR 3600 is definitely looking good. By selling my Yamaha, I could come out with less than $100 out of pocket.

Anyone else's thoughts on using the Parasound Pre/Amp Bill mentioned? Pros/Cons that I should consider?

Any other options I need to consider?

• Moderators

Fish, it appears that the AVR 3600 is newer than the AVR 7500HD and has a few additional features but costs 1/2 the price. The only thing I can see that the 7500 has that the 3600 does not is 100w vs 80w and it has an extra sub out, which a simple Y adapter would do the same thing. Am I correct?

The 7550 is superior in amps for sure,and possibly some other interior pre parts, but since you don't need amps the 3600 would be a good choice,I don't want you to think I'm trying to push you in any direction, just giving my opinion/info or any help I can.

• Moderators

Just so you know, the 354 does full color onscreen, 1080p up(looks good on my 130 inches) , 7.1 in and out.

Good to know. That's why I asked. I'm trying to weed throught the online specs to compare models.

The 7550 is superior in amps for sure,and possibly
some other interior pre parts, but since you don't need amps the 3600
would be a good choice

Gotcha

I don't want you to think I'm trying to push you in
any direction, just giving my opinion/info or any help I can.

Your feedback is MUCH appreciated. One key to wisdom is seeking advice from other knowledgable people. It is then up to us as adults to make an informed decision based on what information we have gathered.

I'm VERY happy with my AVR 3600, good 2 channel
sound, very easy set-up. big improvement over my much used and loved AVR
310. Don't see how you can go wrong with it....good luck.

Thanks for your input oldenough. I'm definitely leaning towards it at this point but still welcome any feedback.

I think the ability to encorporate it into an existing system to control the 2ch listening is quite interesting. Any thoughts on this idea? My only concern is I've never heard that preamp to know what it sounds like. I have another parasound preamp that I'm using in my son's room. It's a much older unit. I wonder if it would be a similar

These may help some.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136817

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/amplifiers/362?start=0

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/127447/stereo-preamps-w-ht-bypass

Bill

I had a Marantz ZR 6001 which I replaced with the HK AVR 3600. The HK stereo mode is much better then the Marantz was, also can code 5 channel stereo very good. The Marantz was good only in Stereo mode with just 2 main speakers working other modes did not sound very good. As for HT they are comparable except for the fact that the HK decodes the newest technology and also has HDMI, and upgrades 1080i to 1080p.

• Moderators

I think I'm comfortable with the HK 3600 sounding great for 2ch but how do you think it compares to my Yamaha for HT? I don't want to move forward for 2ch and move backward for HT. Ideally, I would love to get an improvement in 2ch and at least stay the same in HT but if it sounds better, that is a bonus.

• Moderators

I am meeting a friend tomorrow. He is doing a barter deal (brick pavers for HT gear) with a guy that used to own a Swans Home Theater shop. The guy let him bring home a pair of the main speakers from the Swans V8HT system and a pair of the main speakers from the Swans F3 system as well as a Sunfire HRS-12 sub to demo. The guy let him borrow a NAD L-54 but that's not part of his barter so he's in need of a receiver.

I mentioned to him that I am considering selling my Yamaha to move to a HK. He wants me to bring my receiver over tomorrow to check out his speakers and to test the Yamaha with them. He heard my system about 3 weeks ago and really liked it. He offered me $500 for my Yamaha so that would give me enough to buy the HK 3600 with no out of pocket expense.

I think he will be very pleased with the Yamaha for HT and if he needs additional power, he can always add an amp down the road. I just looked and the Swans speakers are 88db sensitivity so he will probably have to crank up the Yamaha quite a bit to drive the 4 speakers he is demoing.

• Moderators

I have the Yamaha unhooked and ready to go. Looking again at the HK AVR 3600, I noticed one thing it does not have.....12v Trigger. Crud! That means that I will not be able to turn the system on just with my harmony one, I will need to manually turn on and off the amp? That stinks. The 7550HD does have 12v Triggers but it's not worth an extra $500 to upgrade to it.

Any ideas?