Need Harman Kardon Recommendations to replace my Yamaha RX-V1800

Youthman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 on sound quality for the umc, little qwerks mainly cable boxes involving dvr and playback (which you dont have) and htpc's are the larger drawbacks, I know mine sounds better to me than any marantz, hk, or yamaha that have preceeded it

another drawback the firmware feels like beta testing and the update process has been brutal (to me) I'll have to send it in if I want to update the firmware as my 2 pc's dont play nicely with the umc and its prehistoric updating process, the sad part is I have a reasonable amount of knowledge with hardware and software of pcs and it just drives me plain nuts that something that should be so basic and easy as a update became so painful

the one thing that did floor me on this unit was there was no headphone
input...discovered that after trying to listen silently one night and
searching for the input

the bright side to the firmware is fortunately the company is continually working to improve how well the unit responds while trying to remove bugs

the options to tweak the umc are pretty painless and many buttons on the awesome 30lb remote just make sense, I spent more than the 500 clearance and it still seemed like a bargain, but if you dont like it im betting you wouldnt lose much on the trial

Youth,

I have to admit I didn't read through 100% of the replies but I just wanted to add (in case someone else didn't) that you don't need a receiver that has HD-Audio formats. In fact, it won't do you any good since your PS3 can't bitstream. All you need is a receiver that can handle PCM over HDMI. That opens up a ton more options for you. For example, I used to have a Marantz SR7001 that worked like a charm running PCM over HDMI from my old fat PS3.

Youth, have you thought about keeping the Yamaha for HT and adding an Emotiva USP-1 (or even better the coming XSP-1) for 2 channel? I think the Yamaha is probably a better HT processor and the USP-1 or XSP-1 stereo preamps will be much better with 2 channel.

• Moderators

Youth, have you thought about keeping the Yamaha for HT and adding an Emotiva USP-1 (or even better the coming XSP-1) for 2 channel?

Yamaha has been sold.

Bottom line is I'm cheap. LOL If the UMC-1 doesn't sound good enough for HT, I'll sell it and pick up a Harman Kardon AVR 3600 and call it a day. Parasound. I'm trying to remain budget friendly. Maybe there isn't an all in one unit (even in the Pre/Pro world) that can do great HT and 2ch processing.

Maybe there isn't an all in one unit (even in the Pre/Pro world) that can do great HT and 2ch processing.

Yes there is, it is called the NAD T175HD(a bit pricey) or the NAD T773 receiver if you don't need HDMI.[:D]

Okay I am a bit biased but the NAD stuff sounds absolutely fantastic for HT and 2-channel, IMO.[8][8]

Bill

Maybe there isn't an all in one unit (even in the Pre/Pro world) that can do great HT and 2ch processing.

Nah......the HK does HT just fine, as good as any Onkyo I've had,( about 10).The UMC also does HT just fine, they both just excell in music, I think soon you'll find out one way or the other.