Forte II, Quartet, or Chorus II a foot from the back wall ?

Lightguy

I need some bookshelf speakers (to be placed sideways) on top of some built in bookshelves I have.

Will the rear radiator on these models not sound correct or can this be done effectively ?

I know Forte I's are out there but the II's seem to be everywhere and cheap in Dallas.

Originally I was going to go with Heresys but there are expensive in comparison with the other types. must be the demand for the 2/3 Klipschorn concept.

I need some bookshelf speakers (to be placed sideways) on top of some built in bookshelves I have.

Will the rear radiator on these models not sound correct or can this be done effectively ?

I know Forte I's are out there but the II's seem to be everywhere and cheap in Dallas.

Originally I was going to go with Heresys but there are expensive in comparison with the other types. must be the demand for the 2/3 Klipschorn concept.

I have KG4s with the passive radiator on the back, I keep them 12 inches from the wall. Going closer to the wall takes some punch away from the bass.

I am a bit confused. Do you want a pair of bookshelf speakers or floorstanding speakers like Fortes? I have my Fortes and Quartets off the wall about a foot and they sound great.

Bill

I'm going to take a medium sized floorstander and lay it on its side on top of my built-in bookshelfs. Seen

laying them sideways done with Corwalls as a center I figure any of the above speakers will work too.

Plenty or room up there but obviously close to the wall. A 4 'wide x2' tall x2' deep area above each shelf.

Originally wanted Chorus's but @100 lbs each aint going to happen.

you are likely going to run into some problems with a large passive that close to the wall. Why not consider some of the KG series with front mounted passive radiators? Anything with a front reflex vent will also work. The Smaller Reference RB speakers are also pretty good. I have a pair of RB61`s and when mounted close to a wall can make a lot of good bass are lite and dont cost a lot. A floor stander on its side will not give you good horizontal dispersion as the horns will be on their sides. RB61 or 81 are nice speakers and would be easy to mount up out od the way.Hope thos is of some use. Best regards Moray James.

Is this for 2 channel or HT? Sub or no sub in the system? On that size shelf, I would suggest a KG 2.5 or 2.2 but since I imagine these will be high off the floor, a sub will help - especially for HT. I built my dad a KG system similar to this, and the WTW design lends itself nicely to horizontal placement and the grill badges are easy to relocate as well. They are ported in the rear, so they should still have enough room to breathe on a 2' deep shelf. You can get these speakers cheap and try them out?

As for Forte I vs Forte II, I'd go with the Forte II every time (surprised you are finding them cheap). I only see Forte I available around here for some reason. Too big / heavy for putting on a shelf, I think. The Quartets without riser bases may work for you if you have to go bigger than the KG series. The 3.2 and 4.2 / 5.2 are also a shallow depth speaker, both with front passive radiators that may be able to do the job for you easier than the Quartet/Forte series.

I can see mounting a passive or a vent close to a wall causing some problems but for the life of me I can`t see why turning the speaker 90 degrees would have any impact on the bass. So what an I missing? Best regards Moray James.

Its not the 90 degree orientation, its the putting them up on a bookshelf that will kill the bass.

Well ok I guess but if there is about the same amount of space behind the speaker relative to the wall and they (the woofers) are about the the same distance to the ceiling as they would be to the floor (conventionally positioned) the bass ought to be about the same more or less. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 months later...

Your original idea of using a Heresy is a sound one, it might be worth waiting until you find a pair.

Blocking a rear radiator is only a small part of the problem, there is also lobing and boundry effect.

It's possible that the Heresys won't be as susceptible because of their limited bass.

You could even make a new front baffle, rearranging the midrange and the twitter so they would be in top of each other (to avoid lobing).

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/storage/5/965364/Build%201.JPG

They are not that tall either, so you could just leave them vertically too.

Less clutter, less weight on the shelf, no rear firing mess, more imaging and great bass if you pick out your sub well.

Pd. I wish you were closer, I could sell you my pair of ugly Heresys so you could tear them apart to make a horizontal version (shameless plug). But the shipping from PDX would make it completely unreasonable...keep looking, chances are a pair will show up.

PD2. My formating is not showing up, apologies. Does this forum have problems with Safari?

Your messages reads for me and thanks for the suggestions.

I'm kind of burnt out on chasing Klipschs.

Long story that I wont go into.

I did find a pair of mint Dahlquist dq30 floorstanders that solve the problem of a floorstander that looks out of place in this room.

They sound killer but without Klipschs efficiency and I'm OK with that.

Those DQ30 sound awesome with good, non-fussy SS gear...they get the alignment right, which seems to be a HUGE part of solving the equation. Probably more so than SS vs. tubes or even the type of driver (I will get some flames for that statement!). That's why I've kept and old pair of Sequerra Met 7 around...nice choice.