Bigger Synergy Vs. Smaller Reference setup

fm123

Hi all,

My 1st post !

I am currently looking to purchase a 5.1 system, and it has come down to 2 speaker options.

Here are the details:

- Small/Medium size room

- 90% used for movies

- Both setups will be running from a Denon AVR3312

Speaker options: Price is almost the same for both choices, (the difference is not enough to make me choose one over the other based on price)

I am simply looking for people’s opinions on which choice to go for.

Down the track a bit, I would probably be looking at purchasing an additional pair of surrounds for whichever package I go for, to make it 7.1

Here are the choices:

Option 1: Klipsch Synergy setup.

F-20 Fronts

C-20 Centre

SW-450 Sub

S-10 Surrounds (yes, the small ones)

Or

Option 2: Klipsch Reference setup.

RF-42 II Fronts

RC-42 II Centre

SW-308 Sub

RS41 II Surrounds

At this stage I am assuming it’s a choice between slightly lower sound quality with more power output (Option 1)

OR

Slightly higher sound quality with a lower power output. (Option 2)

Or have I got it all wrong..?

i would go with the synergy setup. Both reference and synergy lines have very good sound quality. I historically have liked the reference series over the synergy because of aesthetics and for that edge of refinement. I have never had a chance to A/B compare reference and synergy like speakers so i couldnt give you an accurate sound comparison. I got my sister a pair of SF-2's and an SC-2 and i thought they all sounded very clean and was quite surpised at their bass output, pretty much rivaled the rf-62 from my memory.

The rf-42 II system is something i can comment on as i had its predacessor the rf-10 home theater. They sound clean and clear but lack in soundstage size and bass output, this is where the F-20's will beat them out. These will give you a great size soundstage and should benefit you most when it comes to movies.

I want to suggest that you take a look at the Icon W series. I just picked up the wf-35's and they sound great for the price. Newegg is the only authorized dealer right now and they have been doing sales on them for great prices. I would keep an eye out for their next sale. I aslo bought the WC-24 and WB-14's in their last sale. I think you will find their prices comparable, when they go on sale i got the 2 towers for 600, center for 210 and surrounds for 250 a pair. The WF-35's are arent as refined and dont dig as deep in the bass department as the F-20's should but they have great wide sound dispersion and sound great off axis. In any case though, the subwoofer is good at taking care of the low end but it cant hurt having towers that can dig deep too.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1390&SubCategory=494&name=Home-Audio-Speakers

Hard to argue with what was said above. You will get greater presence with the larger Synergy speakers, but more detail from the Reference sereis. Icons will be sort of in the middle. I noticed a ton of clarity with the WF-35s, but not as much bass and not as bright in the treble, but with a nice overall uniformity. It's really about preference and none of those would be the wrong decision.

A good 10 or 12 inch sub is also a must!

Have you considered trying out a bookshelf, such as the RB-61II?

For the same cost as the RF-42II when you factor in some half decent stands, the RB-61II has greater rated extension (and has been independently measured to credibly meet that rating in room), the same rated sensitivity (also independently measured to credibly meet its rating in room), greater rated power handling, and its a fairly easy load for your receiver to drive (minimum impedance 4.82 ohms). Of course, the bookshelf form factor has its own advantages as well, most pertinent being flexibility in placement.

For all of the above, I'd say it's at least worth a listen.

Have you considered trying out a bookshelf, such as the RB-61II?

For the same cost as the RF-42II when you factor in some half decent stands, the RB-61II has greater rated extension (and has been independently measured to credibly meet that rating in room), the same rated sensitivity (also independently measured to credibly meet its rating in room), greater rated power handling, and its a fairly easy load for your receiver to drive (minimum impedance 4.82 ohms). Of course, the bookshelf form factor has its own advantages as well, most pertinent being flexibility in placement.

For all of the above, I'd say it's at least worth a listen.

+1 Then when you are ready to upgrade, move your nice bookshelves to the rear or in that 7.1 placement you are looking for in the future.

Thanks for the opinions people !

I think cornfedksboy pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

Because of this, and the fact that it will be 90% used for movies, I am leaning towards the Synergy setup for the bigger sound factor...

I am actually located in Melbourne Australia.

I have not seen the Icon range anywhere here, its just the Synergy, Reference & Palladium range we get here.

Palladium is outa the question, as they are way above my budget.

Please keep the opinions coming in regards to the Bigger Synergy Vs. Smaller Reference setup.

Much appreciated.

If I can ask.... What are you finding for prices on those systems? I know rf62 and rf62ii can be had for about $500 used. The rc62 center I'd on eBay right now for $290 buy it now. If it were me I would get the rc62 and rf82's. I found those 3 on craigslist for $500. Now I'm sure u could find them with a little patience for under $800.

I haven't had the chance to compare the newer Synergy line to the newer Reference line, but if they are anything like theri predecessors....

I would much prefer a bookshelf from the Reference line over a tower from the Synergy line as the Reference speakers are going to be more refined due to the better parts used in them. This isn't to say the Synergy line is junk, but that the Reference line is just better. With that said, how about a different option for the Reference setup. Instead of option 2 (US dollars shown):

RF41 II - $600pr

RC-42 II - $250

RS- 42 II - $580/pr

SW-308 sub - $850

total $2280

Option 3:

RB-81 II - $425/ea (x2) $850

RB-61 II $550/pr

SW-308 sub - $850

total 2250

Then as budget allows, you could add either another RB-81 II (prefered) or the RC-62 II center speaker for the center channel.

Another one would be, if you're settled on towers, a pair of RF-82 II ($1200) and the same sub, and just build it as you go. That would actually be the route I would take if it were me, but my system use is 90% music.