Internal wiring of RF-3s

I have a pair of RF-3's (not the newer ones with monster cable wiring) which are very impressive compared to my old Koss bookshelf speakers. My question is would it be worth it to rewire the insides with something of better quality? One reputable high-end dealer in my area offered to do it for $50/speaker, another said it would be a waste plus negate Klipsch's 5 year warrenty. Any thoughts/ideas out there? Ilisten mostly to loud rock 'n' roll on vinyl & tape.

MMF5 turntable

JVC tapedeck/TV

Samsung DVD/CD player - N501

Integra DTS7.1 receiver

Monster 3600 power center

Panasonic VCR

Kimber Kables

I would say that it would be a waste of money. The RF-3II offer more than just monster cable wiring over the RF-3. Personally I wouldn't even if you do listen to your music loud. But thats ok, your just addicted like the rest of us here and looking for more ways to spend money on audio.Biggrin.gif

------------------

The 17th school is done, no more forum for me. :(

I did the rewiring myself with FTP cable.

See my post in "odds and mods" (Sorry, but the pictures are removed)

And yes it will be worth it. Not only for the sound quality but also for a good feeling, knowing that there are no flimsy cables inside those beauties.

Yep, about the warranty? What could happen to the RF-3. What is in that 5 year warranty? Would you get a new tweeter if you blow one?? I don't think so.

Just check your speakers. If they are healty now they will be for ever if you handle them with care.

If something happens after a few years it will unlikely be covered by the warranty.

Like stated in the Klipsch warranty:

This Warranty does not cover cosmetic damage or damage due to misuse, abuse, negligence, acts of God, accident, commercial use or modification of, or to any part of, the product. This Warranty does not cover damage due to improper operation, maintenance or installation, or attempted repair by anyone other than KLIPSCH or a KLIPSCH dealer which is authorized to do KLIPSCH warranty work. Any unauthorized repairs will void this Warranty. This Warranty does not cover product sold AS IS or WITH ALL FAULTS.

REPAIRS OR REPLACEMENTS AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY ARE THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER. KLIPSCH SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PRACTICAL PURPOSE.

"acts of God" LOL LOL LOL LOL HAHAHAAAAHOHOHO

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

us, i have gotten a few new drivers free from klipsch after blowing them (well the dealer got them). klipsch is very good & liberal w/ their warranty.

in that regard i don't think putting in new wiring would void the driver warranty. not really related.

of course there may be the official klipsch warranty policy & what happens in the real world. Smile.gif klipsch is not overly tight & restrictive on their warranties from my experience.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Just be real sure that when you do the rewire that a strand or two of copper wire doesn't find it's way touching the opposing pole. Yes, this could cause problems. Another thing (some bone-head move I did and later found) is to be sure you don't wire the inside out of phase (a pos. wire going to a neg. connection). I did this on a KLF-20 and had almost no bass from one channel. And I thought I was better than to pull such a move. DOHH!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

At the risk of starting a "flame war" I suggest that a reasonable upgrade in the guage of the wires connecting your amp to your speakers May be a worthwhile exercise - (remember that the lower the number - the thicker the wire - ie. 18 guage is a hello of a lot smaller than 16 and 14 is a hello of a lot smaller than 12 etc).

I suspect that within reasonable limits the wire guage used within your speaker box,(at least between the input terminals and the crossover system have very little to do with the ultimate sound because from the Xover forward the wire run lengths are so short as to be irrelavant).

Consider this:

The amplifier having received a very small input signal from an audio source or a preamplifier amplifies the signal by several hundred or sometimes several thousand times,(depending upon the signal source), in order to produce a voltage sufficient to drive your speakers.

The amp increases those signals from the millivolt level,(literally 1000'ths of a volt),to levels that can reach something in the area of several volts. At that level it might be argued that the transmission lines between the amp and the speakers could have some impact upon the signal reaching the speakers - bearing in mind that amp to speaker lines are at least 6' in length and more typically in the range of 8' to 20'

That said the wires between the crossover and the various drivers are 12" long at most and typically no more than 1/2 of that. Add to that the fact that the voice coil wiring on the various drivers will be somewhere in the 32 - 40 guage range and I find it hard to worry hellaciously about whether the wiring inside the speaker box is large enough to bring satisfaction ;~)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 05-12-2002 at 09:55 AM

lynnm,

You have some points there, but still ...

First the longest wire (the wire from cross-over to the horn) is is about 40" long. The shortest (Woof 1) is about 20" long. It is a big speaker so longer wires are required. I understand klipsch to use such a cable. If they would use good expensive wire the speaker would dubbel in prise. Indeed the little quality improvement would not justify that extra price.

Second, I noticed that the wire length in the different speakers (my 4 RF-3's) differ for all the drivers from 0 to 10". (not a big issue)

Third, All the wires that are poorly shielded are running together which makes them vulnerable for cross-talk and other external influences.

I can tell you when I listened to the first rewired RF-3's I was impressed hearing a difference.

The highs, the mids , the lows, not as much as the external cable did but still it was noticeable.

You are right that the external wires (running to the amp)are more important.

So I end up rewiring all my reference speakers!!

I'm happy with it even if it wouldn't make a difference in the sound quality. All wires same length, a good thickness, good shielded. It are just the little things. I just couldn't handle the fact that their is a potential weakest link in the connection of my speakers, just because of that flimsy internal wire of the speakers!!

quote:

Originally posted by lynnm:

At the risk of starting a "flame war" I suggest that a reasonable upgrade in the guage of the wires connecting your amp to your speakers
May
be a worthwhile exercise - (remember that the lower the number - the thicker the wire - ie. 18 guage is a hello of a lot smaller than 16 and 14 is a hello of a lot smaller than 16 etc).

lynnm, Think theirs a typo in your comparison of 14 vs. 16 gauge size. Wouldn't 14 gauge wire be larger than 16 gauge?

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>