Apples to Apples Comparison DVD-A to LP

mustang guy

I did a little personal test. I had a mint copy of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours LP, and just received the DVD-A today. This is the first time I have ever heard a DVD-A or an SACD. The DVD-A was played in my Oppo BDP-93 through and the LP through my new Rega P5 with Orofon 2M Blue catridge (only played about 10 albums through so not broken in). These played through my Integra pre/pro 80.3 and 70.1 setup with 6.2 (THT's as subs, LaScalas as speakers)

Although I loved both types of listening, the clarity and separation of the DVD-A was in a different league. The LP was easy to listen to, but the voices were definitely more legible in the DVD-A. The range of the LP was great, but the range of the DVD-A was dynamic. Sitting in the sweet spot, I was much more immersed in the DVD-A as well. One thing that was also aparent was the bass in the DVD-A was more pronounced and cleaner. I half expected the digital to sound digital. It did not. In short, there is nothing I have ever experienced that is on the level of the DVD-A I just reviewed.

I still love the vinyl sound, but when I want to get the whole music, I most definitely will go to the DVD-A. With the cost of these high def SACD and DVD-A's, my records will still get heavy use.

Does the DVD-A and SACD replace the LP's and digital deliverances like Pandora and iPods? No. Why? For the same reasons most of my movies are not being watched in Blu Ray. It is about cost, bandwidth, availability, and accesibility. I have to buy or rent Blu Rays. I can watch movies on Netflix, VuDu and Blockbuster at the push of a button, and in the case of Netflix for very little cost. I will not be throwing away any vinyls, and fully expect I will be listening to the Fleetwood Mac - Rumours album about a every two or three times I listen to the DVD-A. I like the nostalgia, and I like getting the most out of something old. I have old cars, old speakers, and old tractor, and a nice old pair of shoes that I use and enjoy regularly.

If any of you are thinking about tossing your LP's due to the SACD and DVD's, let me know. I will pay the shipping!

I think it would be interesting to try and make the same evaluation using "tube" gear for your vinyl portion of the test.

Or at least make the comparison again once the cartridge has broken in.

That is an excellent point....

I have bought a bunch of DVD-A over the last few years. Although this format is more or less dead due to lack of interest, the future of HD digital now exists on Blu-ray and direct HD Download. IMO, and it is only that, I think the argument for LP vs CD diminishes. 24bit/96k digital and above is outstanding. I have a DVD-A release of Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms that I'd A/B against any LP version.

I think it would be interesting to try and make the same evaluation using "tube" gear for your vinyl portion of the test.

,,,,and DVD-A is mixed for 5.1, where LP's are only stereo. So I can understand being "Immersed" in the DVD-A sound.

For me, they all have there place. I have thousands of each, LP's and Shinny discs. Somethings I feel like spinning vinyl and sometimes I don't. I have "go to" disc's in both categories. So, sound quality is not restrictive. But, like all media, not all DVD-A's sound or are mixed well and all vinyl does not sound great. Fortunately for me, it is more about the music. But "Hi Res" sound is hard to beat. [Y]

I'm glad you're enjoying your new experience with Hi Res disc's Mustang Guy. There is nothing like it and with your 6 La Scala's and two sub's it has to be AMAZING!!! Congratulations....[<:o)]

Dennie

,,,,and DVD-A is mixed for 5.1, where LP's are only stereo. So I can understand being "Immersed" in the DVD-A sound.

For me, they all have there place. I have thousands of each, LP's and Shinny discs. Somethings I feel like spinning vinyl and sometimes I don't. I have "go to" disc's in both categories. So, sound quality is not restrictive. But, like all media, not all DVD-A's sound or are mixed well and all vinyl does not sound great. Fortunately for me, it is more about the music. But "Hi Res" sound is hard to beat. Yes

I'm glad you're enjoying your new experience with Hi Res disc's Mustang Guy. There is nothing like it and with your 6 La Scala's and two sub's it has to be AMAZING!!! Congratulations....Party!!!

Dennie

Dennie, I concur... [8]

,,,,and DVD-A is mixed for 5.1.....

Not true! Some are, but most have a surround mix and a stereo mix!

Well yes! But adding the rest of my sentence back....

" ,,,,and DVD-A is mixed for 5.1, where LP's are only stereo. So I can understand being "Immersed" in the DVD-A sound. "

My point was the "mixing" for "discrete surround" is going to sound better coming through 6 speakers and 2 sub's than the limited 2 channel LP, even in DPL IIx. Not that all DVD-A's are mixed in 5.1, which you are correct, they are not.

Dennie drinkingcheers.gif

The DVD-A made my current system sound the best it ever has. I have read where many of the SACD's and DVD-A's are poorly mixed, and not worth the shelf space. As I understand it, the Rumours DVD-A is one of the best high def discs available in either format. It was recorded from the original 4 track tape, so nothing is missing. Furthermore, the seperation was done masterfully. Nothing seemed out of place.

It would be nice to hear the LP on some nice tube equipment, but I don't have any to test with. Analog all the way would definitely make a huge difference. It may rival the DVD-A. I will say the Rega P5 certainly beats out my old Technics turntable!

I just want to mention that I bought the Rumours LP at my church junk sale for 25 cents. It is mint, and sounds as good as the brand new re-released Abby Road I paid about $25 for. I haven't tried the other 30 albums I paid a quarter a peice for yet. [:)]

The DVD-A made my current system sound the best it ever has. I have read where many of the SACD's and DVD-A's are poorly mixed, and not worth the shelf space. As I understand it, the Rumours DVD-A is one of the best high def discs available in either format. It was recorded from the original 4 track tape, so nothing is missing. Furthermore, the seperation was done masterfully. Nothing seemed out of place.

It would be nice to hear the LP on some nice tube equipment, but I don't have any to test with. Analog all the way would definitely make a huge difference. It may rival the DVD-A. I will say the Rega P5 certainly beats out my old Technics turntable!

I just want to mention that I bought the Rumours LP at my church junk sale for 25 cents. It is mint, and sounds as good as the brand new re-released Abby Road I paid about $25 for. I haven't tried the other 30 albums I paid a quarter a peice for yet. Smile

Have you tried "Brothers In Arms" SACD yet? IMHO, one of the Best SACD's! [Y]

Dennie

" ,,,,and DVD-A is mixed for 5.1, where LP's are only stereo. So I can understand being "Immersed" in the DVD-A sound. "

My point was the "mixing" for "discrete surround" is going to sound better coming through 6 speakers and 2 sub's than the limited 2 channel LP, even in DPL IIx. Not that all DVD-A's are mixed in 5.1, which you are correct, they are not.

Sorry Dennie, I guess I missed your point!

For the most part I dislike surround music. I like a flat soundstage.

I just want to mention that I bought the Rumours LP at my church junk sale for 25 cents. It is mint, and sounds as good as the brand new re-released Abby Road I paid about $25 for. I haven't tried the other 30 albums I paid a quarter a peice for yet. Smile

Have you tried "Brothers In Arms" SACD yet? IMHO, one of the Best SACD's! Yes

Dennie

It was ordered and paid for Sunday, and I haven't received it yet. Of the 9 I ordered, only the Rumours one arrived. Patiently waiting... [|-)]

Sorry Dennie, I guess I missed your point!

For the most part I dislike surround music. I like a flat soundstage.

I dislike surround also, I listen to 99% of music in 2 Channel, including SACD/DVD-A. Don't get me wrong, I love my DVD concerts and movies. But when it comes to music, I'm with you!

Dennie

Have you tried "Brothers In Arms" SACD yet? IMHO, one of the Best SACD's! Yes

Dennie

It was ordered and paid for Sunday, and I haven't received it yet. Of the 9 I ordered, only the Rumours one arrived. Patiently waiting... Sleep

Yeah, the waiting is the hardest part! LOL

Keep us posted, it's fun "watching" you experience this for the first time! thumbup.gif

Dennie

I am sure the new higher def discs sound great,and better than your LP version but at least for me that would tend to open a can of worms. I have found that by increasing the quality of the sound of the digital inevitably results in my wondering if I can get my turntable to sound as good, and vice versa. When I got a nice tube preamp for the TT suddenly the sound was better than the digital sources, which before had been superior. Lately I have added a nice tube DAC and evened the score, but it is clearly a dangerous thing to claim one is superior to the other. My result has been a mini analog digital arms race (but damn it sounds good either way). [;)]

I have that DVD-A and it's not even in my top 5 for the DVD-A's that I own. You might want to consider the 45 rpm Reprise release, as I feel it gives the DVD-A a run for the money. It's more than the DVD-A but won't break the bank.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/73243/Fleetwood_Mac-Rumours-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

Mike

I view such a review as a thumbs-up to DVD-A from a vinyl enthousiast, so a meaningful endorsement that digital can sound good. But there is little point comparing the LP and DVD-A of the same abum unless you are sure they are from the same masters and mix. On some SACD, I wanted to compare the CD and SACD layers but couldn't because the mixes are different (not even having the same track lengths).

Now I have a problem. I put the Beatles LOVE DVD-A in, and it is aparent that I have a timbre matching problem. Till now, I have been getting away with having AL-3 crossovers on my mains, and AA with new caps as the other 4 speakers. The center does not match the L/R. I had never noticed this before. I need to buy a single AL-3 or two more AA's. None of my speakers have upgraded tweets...

Oh, and the Steely Dan - Gaucho SACD isn't really that good IMO. The channels are just too distinct and it is kind of annoying. The Beatles - LOVE DVD-A is superb!