Apples to Apples Comparison DVD-A to LP

mustang guy

Brothers in Arms was originally recorded on a Sony 48 track digital recorder (DASH - digital audio stationary head). Normally the recorder was 16 bit. 44.1Khz or 48Khz. It could be used 20 bit at 96K, but I haven't been able to find out which they used. If 16 bit 44.1, it just goes to show you how important the rest of the engineering is when recording.

My LP is superb, and I can only imagine what DVD-A oe SACD of it might be

Bruce

I have pretty much all formats available in my main stereo system(CD,DVD-A, SACD, Cassette, Reel to Reel, Turntable), and I've found that for the price of playback components, it's hard to beat a digital system like SACD or DVD-a. You can get a decent multi-player for a few hundred bucks. It seems that with vinyl playback it costs several times that amount before you get truly decent playback. But once you pay the initial costs for a good vinyl playback system, it will reward you with a sound that no digital domain can match. (yet).

The Brothers in Arms was one of the very first recordings to be done in a pure digital format, and I wonder if something has gotten lost in the digital to analog translation, causing the vinyl to sound inferior to the DVD-A. I don't have a vinyl copy of that particular Title, but I do have an original copy of Dire Straits first LP, and a 180 gram reissue of Love over Gold, and both sound superior to any digital copies of all the Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler solo stuff I have.

I'm using all tube gear, so that might have something to do with my bias towards the analog sound also. Just my 2 cents...

Oh, and the Steely Dan - Gaucho SACD isn't really that good IMO. The channels are just too distinct and it is kind of annoying. The Beatles - LOVE DVD-A is superb!

And for my 5,000th post...

The DVD-A version of Gaucho is simply stunning! I would say its the best sounding DVD-A that I own...

Mike

Brothers in Arms was originally recorded on a Sony 48 track digital recorder (DASH - digital audio stationary head). Normally the recorder was 16 bit. 44.1Khz or 48Khz. It could be used 20 bit at 96K, but I haven't been able to find out which they used. If 16 bit 44.1, it just goes to show you how important the rest of the engineering is when recording.

My LP is superb, and I can only imagine what DVD-A oe SACD of it might be

Bruce

I still haven't received that. Impatiently waiting...

Oh, and the Steely Dan - Gaucho SACD isn't really that good IMO. The channels are just too distinct and it is kind of annoying. The Beatles - LOVE DVD-A is superb!

The DVD-A version of Gaucho is simply stunning! I would say its the best sounding DVD-A that I own...

Mike

I should have bought that one. The SACD is recorded in 44.1kHz. Is the DVD-A 96?

Mike

Congrats, Mike, on your 5,000th post! I always enjoy you input.

To be honest I always thought and still do that DVD audio sounds superior to sacd.This may be due the source or mix or format, I dunno.Steely Dan Goucho DVD audio is certainly top notch

I have about 20 of each. There is not a single SACD that sounds better than my worse sounding DVD-A. DVD-A buries the SACD format. At least to my ears...

Mike

To be honest I always thought and still do that DVD audio sounds superior to sacd.This may be due the source or mix or format, I dunno.Steely Dan Goucho DVD audio is certainly top notch

I have about 20 of each. There is not a single SACD that sounds better than my worse sounding DVD-A. DVD-A buries the SACD format. At least to my ears...

Mike

To my surprise my copy of Brothers in Arms is DVD Audio, I've had it since it was released.It certainly is a great recording regardless of format.

Mike

Maybe you have not listened to the DSOTM SACD.

I find the two formats indistinguishable and would attribute the apparent superiority of any disc to the strength of its mastering, or mixing in the case of surround tracks.

Mike

Maybe you have not listened to the DSOTM SACD.

I find the two formats indistinguishable and would attribute the apparent superiority of any disc to the strength of its mastering, or mixing in the case of surround tracks.

I have it and although a very good recording, not even in the same league with the Gaucho DVD-A imho.

Mike